Mesilau, named after Mesilau River, is an area situated at approximately 2000 m above sea level on the East Ridge of Mount Kinabalu in Kinabalu National Park, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo. It is the site of the Mesilau Nature Resort, which is owned and operated by Sutera Sanctuary Lodges.
One of the two main summit routes of Mount Kinabalu starts at the Mesilau Nature Resort and is called the Mesilau Trail. The Mesilau Trail meets the old Kinabalu Summit Trail just above Layang-Layang (Dusun for Place of Swallows), which is situated at approximately 2700 m.
Mesilau is home to the only population of Nepenthes rajah pitcher plants accessible to regular visitors. The plants grow on a steep hillside overlooking Mesilau East River. A number of other species, including N. burbidgeae, N. fusca, and N. macrovulgaris, have been transplanted there from the area around the Mesilau Nature Resort on Pinosok Plateau. A single example of the rare natural hybrid N. lowii × N. rajah also grows nearby. Daily guided tours are organised to the "Nepenthes Garden" where these plants are found. This nature trail is subject to a fee and operates daily from 9 am to 4 pm.
- Kurata, S. 1976. Nepenthes of Mount Kinabalu. Sabah National Parks Publications No. 2, Sabah National Parks Trustees, Kota Kinabalu.
- Allen, E.F. 1971. "Collecting and Growing Sabah Rhododendrons." (PDF). In: Rhododendron and Camellia Year Book 1971. Royal Horticultural Society, London.
- Thong, J. 2006. "Travels around North Borneo – Part 1." (PDF). Victorian Carnivorous Plant Society Inc. 81: 12–17.
- Clarke, C.M. 2001. A Guide to the Pitcher Plants of Sabah. Natural History Publications (Borneo), Kota Kinabalu.
- Chilling out in a tropical destination. The Jakarta Post, 12 June 2011.
- Sabah Parks Directory: Mesilau
- Kinabalu Park - Guide to Mesilau Summit Trail
- Mount Kinabalu Information Travel Guide: Mesilau
- Kundasang & Mesilau
- The Sabah Society Mesilau Trip, 26–27 March 2011
|This Sabah location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a river in Malaysia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|