This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||Amsterdam, The Netherlands (June 2009 )|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Layar was a Dutch company based in Amsterdam, founded in 2009 by Raimo van der Klein, Claire Boonstra and Maarten Lens-FitzGerald. They created a mobile browser app called Layar. The browser allowed users to find various items based upon augmented reality technology.
In June 2014, Layar was acquired by the UK company Blippar. The Layar office in Amsterdam was closed down in 2016.
In January 2019, it was reported that co-founders Klein and Lens-FitzGerald had expressed interest in buying back the intellectual property of Layar to relaunch it as an independent business.
The browser makes use of the following:
These are used together to identify the user's location and field of view. From the geographical position, the various forms of data are laid over the camera view like inserting an additional layer.
Data in the browser comes in the form of layers. Layers are REST web services serving geo-located points of interest in the vicinity of the user. Layers were developed and maintained by third parties using a free API; Layar as a company was responsible for their validation in the publication process. Third-party projects which utilize Layar can be programs which require QR tags, or locative games, such as fAR-Play.
As of July 2010, Layar had 1,000 layers. As of September 2011, Layar had 2,993 layers.
- "About Layar". Layar. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Layar Products". Layar. Archived from the original on 2014-07-06. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Layar Team". Layar. Archived from the original on 2017-05-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Thirty-One Visionary Companies Selected as Technology Pioneers 2011". Weforum.org. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Will Layar make its augmented reality comeback?". Sifted. Retrieved 2019-09-20.
- "Layar Developer Wiki". Layar.pbworks.com. Retrieved 2012-09-06. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Layar Company Blog: 1000th layer published Archived 2010-08-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Official website
- Dutch Layar signs global augmented reality deals Reuters, Jun 18, 2010
- Camille Ricketts Layar to bring its augmented reality to one-third of global smartphones Venture Beat/Mobile, June 18, 2010