Layer Breton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Layer Breton
St. Mary's church, Layer Breton, Essex - - 136659.jpg
St Marys Church
Layer Breton is located in Essex
Layer Breton
Layer Breton
Layer Breton shown within Essex
Population 287 
Civil parish
  • Layer Breton
Shire county
  • Essex
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Police Essex
Fire Essex
Ambulance East of England
EU Parliament East of England
UK Parliament
List of places
EssexCoordinates: 51°49′48″N 0°49′16″E / 51.830°N 0.821°E / 51.830; 0.821
Layer Breton being shown on a 20th century ordnance survey map.

Layer Breton is a village and a civil parish in Essex, England. According to the 2011 census there were 144 males and 143 females.[1] The village has a church dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, rebuilt in brick in 1923 on a new site nearly a mile to the north of the old one. The village was among those which suffered damage from the 1884 Colchester earthquake. In 1872:

LAYER-BRETON, a parish, with a village, in Lexden district, Essex; on a branch of the river Roman, 5 miles SE by S of Marks-Tey r. station, and 6 SW by S of Colchester.[2]


In the 1870s , John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layer Breton as:

"A parish, with a village, in Lexden district, Essex. Post town, Kelvedon. Acres, 954. Real property, £1, 763. Pop., 298. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £350. * Patron, the Rev. W. Blow. The church is tolerable. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers; and the Independent one was rebuilt and enlarged in 1860."


ST Mary The Virgin church it is part of a group of seven parishes of which belong to the Benefice of Thurstable and Winstree which came into being on 1st October 2013. The other six parishes in the benefice are Tolleshunt Knights with Tiptree, Great Braxted, Messing, Inworth, Copford and Easthorpe.[3]



The population of Layer Breton over the past two centuries has seen gradual changes. For the first century the population fluctuated between 168 and 247. During 1801 the population was 168 , the lowest the population has ever been to date.


Many of the male workers during 1881 were involved in agricultural activities. This was the most common work sector during this period as many households relied on farm grown products and produce. In contrast many of the women were without specific occupations; however, 20 women were workers and dealers in dress and 11 were involved in domestic service or offices[4]. The 2001 census showed that 49% residents were employed (144 out 296), this includes part-time workers, full-time workers and self-employed workers.[5] However the 2011 cenusus 66% of the population aged 16-74 were in some form of employment. [6]


Information published by the 2011 census shows that the largest ethnic group in Layer Breton is White British. The census report shows that 96% (275 out of 287) of the total population are of this the ethincity. the other 4% of the population are from Mixed/Multiple Ethnic Groups; White and Asian. [7]When comparing the 2001 data to the 2011 the data is the same. Showing that the ethnic structure of Layer Breton has not changed over the 10 years.[8]


  1. ^ ""Layer Breton (Parish):Key Figures for the 2011 Census :Key Statistics"". 2 February 2017. Retrieved 28 September 2015. 
  2. ^ Wilson, John Marius (1870–72). Imperial Gaztteer of England and Wales. Edinburgh: A Fullerton & Co. 
  3. ^ "The 'Layer' Parishes". The 'Layer' Parishes. Retrieved 21 March 2017. 
  4. ^ "Employment in Layer Breton". 25 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.  Check date values in: |access-date= (help); External link in |website= (help)
  5. ^ "Employment 2001". 27 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.  Check date values in: |access-date=, |archive-date= (help); External link in |website= (help)
  6. ^ Retrieved 27 March 2017.  Check date values in: |access-date= (help); Missing or empty |title= (help); External link in |website= (help)
  7. ^ "2011 eg". 27 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.  Check date values in: |access-date= (help); External link in |website= (help)
  8. ^ "Ethnic groups 2001". 27 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.  Check date values in: |access-date= (help); External link in |website= (help)
Occupation of Males and Females in 1881 Layer Breton

External links[edit]

Total population of Layer Breton Civil Parish,Colchester reported by the census of population from 1881 to 2011