Hayward with the Timberwolves
|No. 8 – Guaros de Lara|
|Position||Small forward / Shooting guard|
November 26, 1986 |
Buffalo, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Buffalo Traditional
(Buffalo, New York)
Notre Dame Prep
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 30th overall|
|Selected by the Washington Wizards|
|2011–2012||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|2013, 2016||Los Angeles D-Fenders|
|2016–2017||Long Island Nets|
|2017–present||Guaros de Lara|
|Career highlights and awards|
Lazar Miller Hayward (born November 26, 1986) is an American professional basketball player for the Guaros de Lara of the Liga Profesional de Baloncesto (LPB). He was a college standout for Marquette University.
High school career
Hayward went to Buffalo Traditional High School where he was an outstanding basketball player. After graduating from Buffalo Traditional in 2005, Hayward enrolled in Notre Dame Prep School in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, as only the NCAA Division III college SUNY Fredonia expressed any interest in Hayward.
Hayward attended Notre Dame Prep School in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, and while he attended he played with many other notable players, like Michael Beasley (currently playing for the Houston Rockets), Syracuse University standout Paul Harris and UTEP player Derrick Caracter. Hayward started both freshman and sophomore seasons. After Notre Dame Preparatory School Hayward attended Marquette University.
At Marquette University, Hayward received the nickname "Money Man". He finished his Marquette career as the program's 2nd all-time leading scorer and 5th all-time in rebounds, as well as garnering 2nd Team All-Big East honors in 2008 and 2010 and Honorable Mention AP All-American status in 2010 while leading Marquette to 4 NCAA Tournament appearances. On April 2, 2010, Hayward was named the Hershey's Player of the Game in the Reese's College All-Star Game.
On June 25, 2010, Hayward was selected by the Washington Wizards with the 30th pick in the 2010 NBA draft, but his draft rights were traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves shortly after being drafted. In 2011, his college teammate Jimmy Butler was taken with the same pick in the NBA Draft. It was the first time Marquette players went back-to-back in the first round since Bo Ellis was drafted by Washington in 1977 and Butch Lee was taken by Atlanta in 1978. In his first season in the NBA, he averaged 3.8 points in 10 minutes per game for the Timberwolves. On December 13, 2011, before the start of another season, Hayward was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder for two second round draft picks and Robert Vaden.
The Thunder assigned Hayward to the Tulsa 66ers of the D-League on March 2, 2012. The Thunder recalled him on March 4, 2012 after he averaged 28 ppg in 2 games with the Tulsa 66ers. With the Thunder that season, he averaged 1.4 points per game, shooting 34% from the field. Hayward reached the 2012 NBA Finals with the Thunder, but the team lost to the Miami Heat.
On October 27, 2012, Hayward was traded to the Houston Rockets and subsequently waived. On December 31, 2012, Hayward re-signed with the Timberwolves. He was waived by the Timberwolves on January 6, 2013, but re-signed two days later on a 10-day contract. After the 10-day contract expired, he joined the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League. He was waived by the D-Fenders on April 4, 2013 after sustaining an injury.
On January 29, 2016, Hayward was reacquired by the Los Angeles D-Fenders.
On November 1, 2016, Hayward was acquired by the Long Island Nets after previously acquiring his rights through the Expansion draft. On February 8, 2017, Hayward was waived by the Nets. In 20 games, he averaged 12.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.4 steals in 24.3 minutes.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "Lazar Hayward Recruiting Profile". Yahoo.com. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "2010 Reese's College All-Star Game" (PDF). cbssports.com/mcc. CBS Sports. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Minnesota Acquires Draft Rights to Lazar Hayward". NBA.com. June 25, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Timberwolves Trade Lazar Hayward to Oklahoma City". NBA.com. June 25, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Oklahoma City Thunder assign forward Lazar Hayward to the Tulsa 66ers". KJRH.com. March 2, 2012. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "Thunder Recall Lazar Hayward". RealGM.com. March 4, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Thunder trade Harden to Rockets for Martin, Lamb and picks". NBA.com. October 27, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Rockets waive Shaun Livingston, Jon Brockman, Gary Forbes, Lazar Hayward, JaJuan Johnson". InsideHoops.com. October 29, 2012. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- "Minnesota Timberwolves Sign Free-Agent Forward Lazar Hayward". NBA.com. December 31, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "Wolves Waive Lazar Hayward". NBA.com. January 6, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "Wolves Sign Lazar Hayward To 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. January 8, 2013. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- "Lazar Hayward returns to Los Angeles D-Fenders". InsideHoops.com. January 28, 2013. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "2013-14 Transactions". NBA.com. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "PELICANS ANNOUNCE 2013 TRAINING CAMP ROSTER". NBA.com. September 30, 2013. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "PELICANS WAIVE LAZAR HAYWARD". NBA.com. October 13, 2013. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- "D-Fenders Acquire Lazar Hayward and Michael Holyfield in Two Separate Trades". OurSportsCentral.com. January 29, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Long Island Nets Announce Training Camp Roster". NBA.com. November 1, 2016. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "2016 NBA Development League Expansion Draft Results". NBA.com. August 24, 2016. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- "Long Island Nets Acquire Prince Ibeh, Waive Lazar Hayward". NBA.com. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 11, 2017.
- "Lazar Hayward inks with Guaros de Lara". Sportando.com. February 11, 2017. Retrieved February 11, 2017.