|• Administrative Unit||2,801|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Lazarat (definite Albanian form: Lazarati) is a village and a former municipality in the Gjirokastër County, in southern Albania. As part of the 2015 local government reform, it became a subdivision of the municipality Gjirokastër. The population at the 2011 census was 2,801. The municipality consists of the villages Lazarat and Kordhocë.
The village is believed to have been founded in the 16th century.
Since the Albanian Government's attempts to stop the illegal cultivation of cannabis, there have been a growing number of activists from around the region demanding a special status for the small commune. The activists demand the right to legalize production and selling of cannabis inside municipality borders. The Albanian government has rejected the demand.
In June 2014, Albanian police launched a major operation against the village, involving over 800 officers. Heavily armed locals shot RPGs and fired mortar rounds at the officers, who returned fire. Police took control of most of the village, with Interior Minister Saimir Tahiri saying the operation would continue until "every square centimetre in Lazarat is under state control". Smoke rose from the village as locals reportedly burned cannabis plants.
On 24 June 2015, a member of the Albanian counter-terrorist force RENEA was shot and killed in the town, and two other soldiers wounded. A car containing gunmen had been stopped at a checkpoint, with attackers then opening fire on the soldiers from a nearby house. Ibrahim Basha was a RENEA officer who had previously served with NATO in Afghanistan. The United States Ambassador to Albania, Donald Lu, expressed condolences at the soldier's funeral, calling the incident a "national tragedy". Additional police and RENEA officers were sent to reinforce the town and locate the attackers.
The village produced 900 tonnes of cannabis annually, worth €4.5bn, equivalent to around half of Albania's gross domestic product.
- Law nr. 115/2014
- 2011 census results
- Greece – Albania Neighbourhood Programme Archived March 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Besar Likmeta. "Is Albania Europe’s new marijuana capital?". Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Albanian Village Europe's Weed Capital, Carbonated TV
- "Albanian police battle cannabis growers in Lazarat". BBC News. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Albanian cannabis growers and 800 police battle in lawless village of Lazarat". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Kallivretakis, Leonidas (1995). "Η ελληνική κοινότητα της Αλβανίας υπό το πρίσμα της ιστορικής γεωγραφίας και δημογραφίας [The Greek Community of Albania in terms of historical geography and demography." In Nikolakopoulos, Ilias, Kouloubis Theodoros A. & Thanos M. Veremis (eds). Ο Ελληνισμός της Αλβανίας [The Greeks of Albania]. University of Athens. p. 51. "AM Αλβανοί Μουσουλμάνοι" p.56. "LAZARATI ΛΑΖΑΡΑΤΉ 2909 ΑΜ.
- "Lazarat Burning - Hollywood film about Albanian Marijuana village". Oculus News. March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lazarat.|