Lazaridis School of Business and Economics
|Laurier School of Business and Economics|
|Type||Public business school|
|Dean||Dr. Micheál Kelly|
160 full-time |
60 part-time faculty
|Location||Waterloo, Toronto and Brantford, Ontario, Canada|
The Lazaridis School of Business & Economics is the business school of Wilfrid Laurier University located in Waterloo, Ontario. Originally the School of Business & Economics, it was renamed in September 2015 to recognize Mike Lazaridis, co-founder of Research In Motion, and former Chancellor of the University of Waterloo. The re-branding followed a 2015 announcement of his pledge of $20-million for a new technology-focused management institute at the business school. In 2016, the School and the new institute will move to a new facility, the Lazaridis Hall building, at 200 University Avenue West in Waterloo.
With more than 6,100 students overall, and 160 full-time and 60 part-time faculty in 2018, the School is the largest faculty at Wilfrid Laurier University.
The Waterloo campus is located 100 km (62 mi) west of Toronto and offers full-time and part-time PhD, MBA, Master's, Economics and Honours BBA; the Brantford, Ontario campus offers a Bachelor of Business Technology Management program (as part of the Lazaridis School). Diploma programs in Accounting and Business Administration are also offered by the Lazaridis School. A program in association with the University of Waterloo confers double degrees. The Lazaridis School also offers a part-time MBA program in downtown Toronto at the St. Andrew’s Club and Conference Centre.
The Lazaridis School has more than 160 full-time and 60 part-time faculty. As of 2018, the School had over 30,000 alumni. In 2010, it was named an "outstanding business school" by The Princeton Review, which acknowledged that "We are pleased to recommend Laurier as one of the best institutions students could attend to earn an MBA". The School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) for all of its Undergraduate, Master's, and Ph.D programs.
Student clubs and organizations
The Lazaridis School of Business & Economics students offer programming and support through a number of clubs and associations, including some of the following:
- Lazardis Students' Society
- Startup Laurier
- Laurier Economics Club
- AIESEC Laurier
- DECA Laurier
- Golden Speakers Club
- Students Offering Support
- Enactus Laurier
- E-Business Laurier
- Laurier Cooperative Education (Co-op)
- Laurier Career Development Centre
- Laurier Accounting Association
- Laurier Marketing Association
- Laurier Consulting Club
- The Advertising Project Association
- Laurier Sales Association
- Laurier Investment and Finance Association
- Laurier Insurance and Risk Association
- XLerate Laurier
- Women in Leadership Laurier
- WLU Debating Society
- Atrium Media Group
- Laurier Marketing Association
- The Link
- Sports Management Laurier
- Sustainability in Business Laurier
A report published in September 2017 indicated that Business students were able to specialise in any of the following areas:
- Business & Sustainability
- Human Resource Management
- Insurance & Risk Management
- International Business
- Marketing Communications
- Supply Chain Management
Double-degree programs, combining a degree in Business and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Financial Mathematics or a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science at Laurier are also available. The Bachelor of Business Administration program canalso be combined with the Bachelor of Computer Science or the Bachelor of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo.
As of 2018, the Lazaridis School has more than 30,000 alumni (majority from our BBA). This is partial list of notable Lazaridis School alumni.
- Andrew Abouchar, Co-Founder and Partner, Tech Capital Partners
- Dean Allison, Member of Parliament, House of Commons of Canada
- Real Bergevin, Co-Founder and CEO, NuComm International
- Robert Boyce, Senior Lecturer, London School of Economics, UK
- Bryan Dare, Co-Chairman, Dare Foods
- Greg Dean, Principal & Portfolio Manager Cambridge Global Asset Management 
- Bill Downe, Retired President and CEO, Bank of Montreal
- Jason Whiting, Vice President of Invesco Ltd.
- Lindsay Duffield, Recent President, Jaguar Land Rover Canada
- Dan Einwechter, President and CEO, Challenger Motor Freight
- Rick Endrulat, Co-Founder and President, Virtual Causeway
- Brock Furlong, CEO, Optimum Food Group
- David Hayter, COO, Liberty Mutual Investments
- Ralph Hyatt, President and CEO, Toshiba Canada
- Stephen Groff, Principal & Portfolio Manager Cambridge Global Asset Management 
- Ron Jutras, President and CEO, ATS Automation Tooling Systems
- Brad Katsuyama, CEO and co-founder of the IEX, the Investors Exchange 
- Dennis Kavelman, COO, Desire2Learn (D2L), former CFO/COO, Research In Motion (RIM)
- Lynda Kitamura, CFO, Electronic Products Recycling Association
- Pat Krajewski, retired Senior Vice-President HR, Scotiabank International Banking
- Dave Lacey, Managing Partner, Brookfield Asset Management Properties
- Dan Latendre, Founder and CEO, IGLOO Software
- Ryan Marr, Vice-President & Portfolio Manager Gluskin Sheff + Associates 
- Dennis Mitchell, Senior Vice-President, Senior Portfolio Manager Sprott Asset Management 
- Bruce Morrison, Senior Vice President, Disney Consumer Products
- Lynn Oldfield, President, AIG Insurance Canada
- Tim Penner, Retired President, Procter & Gamble Canada
- Brandon Snow, Principal & Co-Chief Investment Officer, Cambridge Global Asset Management - CI Investments 
- David Strucke, President and CEO, Navtech
- Razor Suleman, Founder, I Love Rewards
- Robert Tong, Vice President, ON Semiconductor
- Lewington, Jennifer (September 8, 2015). "Wilfrid Laurier University names business school for Mike Lazaridis". Globe and Mail. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- no by-line.--> (2015). "The Lazaridis Hall building". Wilfrid Laurier University. Wilfrid Laurier University. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "New management school at Wilfrid Laurier to focus on global business". April 27, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "About the Lazaridis School". Wilfrid Laurier University. 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- o by-line.--> (2015). "School of Business & Economics". Wilfrid Laurier University. Wilfrid Laurier University. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Business Administration (BBA) and Computer Science (BSc) Double Degree". Programs. Wilfrid Laurier University. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- no by-line.-->. "Lazaridis School of Business and Economics". Laurier Calendar. Wilfrid Laurier University. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Wilfrid Laurier University - School of Business & Economics - Headlines". www.wlu.ca/sbe. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "AACSB General - Wilfrid Laurier University - Laurier School of Business & Economics". www.aacsb.edu. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Wilfrid Laurier University - School of Business & Economics - Achievements & Successes". www.wlu.ca/sbe. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "PRISMRESOUrCES". Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "105 – Wilfrid Laurier University - Ontario Universities' Application Centre".
- "Dean Allison, Meet Dean". www.deanallison.ca. 2010-10-26. Archived from the original on 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Real Bergevin, NuComm International Inc". www.spoke.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Dr. Robert Boyce". www.lse.ac.uk. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Dare Foods Limited - Special Collections - University of Waterloo". www.uwaterloo.ca. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Cambridge Global Asset Management". ci.com.
- "William Downe: Executive Profile". www.businessweek.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Jaguar Land Rover Canada - Lindsay Duffield". www.newswire.ca. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Optimum Food Group, Northbrook, Illinois". www.optimumfoodgroup.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Community Servings". www.servings.org. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Toshiba Canada - Press Release". www.toshiba.ca. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Factory Automation Systems Integrator ATS - Press Release". www.atsautomation.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Canadian Brad Katsuyama's 'overwhelming' life as hero of Michael Lewis's Flash Boys" – via The Globe and Mail.
- "Latest on Desire2Learn".
- "Blackberry - Executive Team". www.rim.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Globeinvestor.com - Appointment Notice - Pat Krajewski". www.globeinvestor.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "David Lacey's Public Profile". www.plaxo.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Bruce Morrison Senior VP". www.zoominfo.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Lynn Oldfield". www.wlu.ca. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "PG.com - Canada - Who We Are". www.pg.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Navtech - Corporate Governance". www.navtech.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Leadership Team". www.iloverewards.com. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "ON Semiconductor - Complete Profile". www.ic.gc.ca. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.