Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera
5 April 1955
Lilongwe, Central African
Federation (now Malawi)
|Political party||Malawi Congress Party|
|Alma mater||University of Malawi|
University of the North
University of South Africa
Trinity International University
Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera (born 5 April 1955) is a Malawian politician who is the current President of Malawi Congress Party since 2013. He is the Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly following highly controversial elections held in Malawi on 21 May 2019 which he and other opposition figures are disputing in court and they want the elections to be rerun. He was President of the Malawi Assemblies of God from 1989 to 14 May 2013.
Professor Lazarus Chakwera was born in Lilongwe, the capital city of Malawi on 5 April 1955. He was born to a subsistence farmer in the outskirt of Lilongwe city. Two of his brothers born before him died in infancy due to high infant mortality rate. His father, believing that he would live gave him the name Lazarus as the Bible character who was raised from the dead.
In 1977 he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) Degree from the University of Malawi. He got his honours degree (BTh) from the University of the North, Sovenga, South Africa. In 1991 he got his masters (MTh), from the University of South Africa. The Trinity International University, in Deerfield, Illinois, USA awarded him a doctorate (D. Min) in 2000. The Pan Africa Theological Seminary awarded him Professorship in 2005.
He has worked as an instructor at the Assemblies of God School of Theology from 1983 to 2000 where he became the Principal in 1996. He has been the co-director and a lecturer at All Nations Theological Seminary. Since 1989 to date he has been at the helm of Malawi assemblies of God presidency On 14 April 2013 he took many by surprise when he declared his intentions to run at a Convention of an opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP) as a president while still maintaining the Assemblies of God Presidency. His landslide victory at MCP convention went down in history of Malawi as the first of its kind of any political party in Malawi.
Professor Lazarus Chakwera's interest in politics became known to the public on 9 April 2013 when rumours of his interest to join the presidential race of the MCP were on the online media. The rumours were confirmed later to the public on 14 April 2013. Chakwera later submitted his nomination papers while still at the helm of the Malawi Assemblies of God. The MCP convention slated for 27 April 2013 was later postponed. to 10 and 11 August where he was elected as the president of MCP and he will represent the party in the 2014 general election.
During 2015 Malawi General elections, rumors speculated in different platforms that the elections were rigged. Chakwera addressed all Malawians to maintain Peace, accept the outcome and wait for the next coming elections. Besides being successful as the Main Opposition party president, he also serves Malawi as a member of parliament for the Lilongwe North West Constituency.
Chakwera later announced his resignation as the Head of the Malawi Assemblies of God (AG) effect on 14 May 2013. He said this would enable him to concentrate more on front-line politics. He remains God's minister known to serve God's people in a different context other than the church.
- http://wiseonefromtheeast.blog.com/files/2013/04/BIOGRAPHY-DR-LAZ-CHAKWERA.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Man of God, Welcome to Cut Throat Politics". Zodiakmalawi.com. 17 April 2013. Archived from the original on 30 June 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Personal Story of Lazarus Chakwera : AGTV". Agtv.ag.org. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Columns. "Malawi on the road to 2014: Rev. Dr. Lazarous Chakwera | Malawi Nyasa Times – Malawi breaking news in Malawi". Nyasa Times. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "On the Road to 2014: Dr. Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera". Malawi Voice. Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130516082730/http://www.mwnation.com/sports-nation-on-sunday/international-sports/17996-chakwera-guns-for-mcp-presidency. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2013. Missing or empty
- "Rev Chakwera, Munlo linked to MCP leadership contest: Malawi on the road to 2014 | Malawi Nyasa Times – Malawi breaking news in Malawi". Nyasa Times. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Chakwera presents nomination papers for MCP presidency: Malawi road to 2014 | Malawi Nyasa Times – Malawi breaking news in Malawi". Nyasa Times. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Malawi Congress Party convention postponed indefinitely | Malawi Nyasa Times – Malawi breaking news in Malawi". Nyasa Times. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Politics. "Chakwera steps down as Malawi Assemblies of God president: To concentrate on front-line politics | Malawi Nyasa Times – Malawi breaking news in Malawi". Nyasa Times. Retrieved 3 October 2013.