|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Lazimpat, Kathmandu (Nepali: लाजिम्पाट) is a residential area of Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. It is close to the Narayanhity Palace, and is well known in Kathmandu for its hotels, restaurants, schools, colleges, embassies and department stores. Notable hotels include the Hotel Radisson, Hotel Gangjong, Hotel Shangri-La, Hotel Shanker (a former palace), Hotel Ambassador, etc.
Lazimpat shares one border with Thamel, a popular tourist hub, and another with Baluwatar, a reputed residential area where the Prime Minister, Chief Justice, and the Chairman of Constitution Assembly reside. Lazimpat is just 20 minutes away from what is downtown of Kathmandu, Newroad and Ason. Currently Lazimpat is also a "VIP" area in Kathmandu after Durbar marg, Thamel.
There has been a recent upsurge in the construction activity in the region. Lazimpat boasts the only road connecting the northern part of the Kathmandu valley with the southern part. The roads are very busy, yet until a few years back, there was not much economic activity in the region. Luxury hotels, photo studios, department stores and corner shops have been a special feature of Lazimpat. It is centrally located and is also home to or nearby various embassies.
There are many hotels, embassies, colleges, schools, shopping centers, departmental stores & restaurants situated in Lazimpat.
- Radisson Hotel an international chain hotel (5 star)
- Shangri-La Hotel an international chain hotel (5 star)
- Hotel Gangjong (3 star)
- Hotel Ambassador (3 star)
- Hotel Shanker, Lazimpat First four star hotel (4 star)
- Manaslu Hotel (3 star)
- Lion Hotel (non star)
- Hotel Tibet (1 star)
- Hotel Cascade
- Tings Tea Lounge & Lounge Hotel - the art hub for international creatives and relaxed business travelers
- Hotel Giant Korean Hotel, Kholagal, Lazimpat
- Maison de Kathmandu Bed &Breakfast
- Indian Embassy
- British Embassy
- Israel Embassy
- French Embassy
- Danish Embassy
- Bliss Apartments
- Lazimpat Apartments
- Lazpa Apartments
Schools and colleges
- Fairy Land Apsara Boarding School
- Xavier Academy
- Bhanubhakta Memorial School
- Glen Buds Boarding School
- Kendriya Vidhyalaya
- Chandra Tara school
- Sunrise Boarding School
- National School of Science (NIST)
- Sesame World Kindergarten School
- Angle Kingdome
- International French School of Kathmandu
- Acharya Institute of Mathematics
Banks and offices
- Nepal's oldest bank "Nepal Bank Limited" is also located at Lazimpat
- Standard Chatared Bank
- Nepal Investment Bank
- Everest Bank
- Machhapuchchhare Bank
- Shakti Travels and Tours Pvt., Ltd
- Shakti Treks and Expeditions Pvt., Ltd
- Bardia Jungle Cottage, Bardia National Park - Contact office
Shopping centers and department stores
- Blue Moon shopping center
- Big mart
- Lazimpat cold store
- Lazimpat departmental stores
- Patanjali outlet
- Salon de Kathmandu Cafe & Bistro
- Irish Pub & Restaurant
- Nepali Chulo
- Tings Tea Lounge non Nepalese food and unique teas from all over the world
- Lazimpat Street Cafe
- Him Thai Restaurant
- Bawarchi Restaurant
- Darjling Restaurant
- Mount Kailash Restaurant
- lush Kush Restaurant
- Old natraj kawab Restaurant
- Royal Tandoori
- Sagarmatha Restaurant
- Jazz Upstairs
- Bhumi Restaurant
- China Town
- Palpasa Cafe
- Billy Barew's Bar & Restaurant
- Nikhileswaram Sweets
- Trishna Mithai
- ShreeKrishna Mithai
- Kundali Mithai
The Lazimpat area in the capital became tense on Saturday (Feb 4 2012) morning after the Metropolitan Traffic Police Division (MTPD) in collaboration with the Kathmandu Valley Town Development Implementation Committee demolished the wall of Standard Chartered Bank.
Authorities bulldozed walls of the bank and adjoining wall of Ambassador hotel constructed along the roadside early this morning amidst tight security.
However, the authorities stalled the work for today giving warning, sources confirmed.
The locals have been protesting against the government's move to forcefully bulldoze the infrastructures around the valley in the name of road expansion.
Meanwhile, the authorities say protests by local people against road expansion in the Kathmandu Valley will not put a brake on attempts to widen roads. There is going to be 4 lane road in Lazimpat.
- Residence of Mr. Shishir Bhandary, graduated in Masters in Civil Engineering from University of Technology Sydney.
- Residence of Mr. Prashant Raj Pandey (aka78pop), an ICCR Scholar and a Graduate from the University of Pune.
- Prajit Chandra Hamal Thakuri, top US honors graduate from SAU and US based businessman
- Residence of Mr Hari Nakarmi - One of the leading travel agent and renowned person in travel trade business