Lazy Eye (Silversun Pickups song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Silversun Pickups|
|from the album Carnavas|
|Released||September 16, 2007|
|Recorded||Beer Wine Fish, Echo Park; Sunset Sound, Hollywood, California, 2006|
|Genre||Indie rock, dream pop, shoegaze|
|Songwriter(s)||Brian Aubert, Christopher Guanlao, Joe Lester, Nikki Monninger|
|Silversun Pickups singles chronology|
"Lazy Eye" is the third single from Silversun Pickups' debut album Carnavas. The band performed the song on the Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Later With Jools Holland, and Last Call with Carson Daly. The song is a playable track on Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour.
An alternate version of the song, with a length of 7:27, was played on XMU before the shorter version was played on FM and other XM channels. This version was featured on their demo CD (which featured early versions of four tracks).
The music video for "Lazy Eye" was directed by Suzie Vlcek, who had directed the video for Silversun Pickups' first single, "Kissing Families" as well as the video for Tegan and Sara's "The Con". It was produced by Eric Morgan.
The music video is said to have been inspired by the 1970 Swedish film 'A Swedish Love Story'.
It takes place in a club, possibly in the 1970s or 1980s judging by the hairstyles and clothing, brimming with teenagers dancing to the song as the band plays live on stage. The video alternates between the band playing, and a young girl with short hair. The girl notices a boy that shows up, she first ignores him and dances with another guy, notably when the song takes an angrier tone. The boy leaves, and waits outside, talking with friends. The girl eventually leaves the club, and sees him outside waiting, just like she waited for him. This reveals to her that he really does care about her, and they leave in good temper.
- Director Suzie Vlcek and Producer Eric Morgan partnered again to create the videos for Silversun Pickups' "Dots and Dashes (Enough Already)", "Cannibal" and "Circadian Rhythm (Last Dance)".
- Solo recording artist and former band member, Kennedy, makes a cameo appearance in the video [as the bartender]
- The band's original drummer, Elvira Gonzalez, makes a cameo appearance in the video [as the box office/door attendant].
- The video received airplay on MTV, MTV2, MTVU, VH1, Fuse, MuchMusic, MTV (Latin America), International Music Feed and many other international broadcast outlets.
- The popularity of the "Lazy Eye" music video led to the creation of a VH1 "Pop-Up Video" version.
- The “Lazy Eye” music video was among the MTV2 Subterranean "Viewers Top 20 Music Videos of 2007" list.
- Director: Suzie Vlcek
- Producer: Eric Morgan
- Cinematographer: Joe Pugliese
- Editor: Jonathan Alberts
- Cast: Sara Grace Powell, Hank May, Filippo Almonde
- Cameos: Kennedy, Elvira Gonzalez
|Peru Weekly Chart||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||5|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||2|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||91|
|Peru Year-end chart||20|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||17|
|Triple J Hottest 100||28|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
In popular culture
The song was featured in the television series The O.C., Criminal Minds, and Reaper, the 2008 film Prom Night, a promo for Major League Baseball's 2008 All-Star Game, a video package at the end of FOX's coverage of the 2008 World Series, a video package for CBC's 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs, a 2012 New Zealand New World Supermarket advertising campaign and the video games Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero: World Tour and Forza Horizon.
- "American single certifications – Silversun Pickups – Lazy Eye". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH