LeAnna M. Washington
|Member of the Pennsylvania Senate|
from the 4th district
June 14, 2005 – January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||Allyson Schwartz|
|Succeeded by||Arthur L. Haywood III|
|Constituency||Part of Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 200th district
November 22, 1993 – June 14, 2005
|Preceded by||Gordon J. Linton|
|Succeeded by||Cherelle Parker|
|Constituency||Part of Philadelphia County|
|Born||July 28, 1945|
|Alma mater||Lincoln University|
LeAnna M. Washington (born July 28, 1945) is an American politician from Pennsylvania who served as a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania State Senate for the 4th district from 2005 to 2014. She served as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 200 from 1993 to 2005. She resigned in 2014 after being charged with a felony for using campaign staff and state resources to plan her birthday party fundraiser.
Early life and education
She was elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 200 in a special election on November 2, 1993 following the resignation of Gordon J. Linton.
On March 12, 2014, the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office announced felony charges of diversion of services and conflict of interest against Washington. The charges included usage of staff members and state equipment to plan her birthday party fundraiser.
In October 2014, Washington agreed to leave office early (she had already lost the primary) in exchange for being permitted to retain her retirement benefits. These benefits include lifetime health insurance and a state pension. She agreed to serve three months house arrest, five years of probation, and restitution of $200,000 to the Senate.
- "SESSION OF 2005 - 189TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 35" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania Senate. 2005-06-14.
- "SESSION OF 1993 - 177TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - NO. 58" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2005-06-14.
- "SESSION OF 2005 - 189TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 37" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2005-06-14.
- "Pennsylvania State Senate - LeAnna Washington Biography". www.legis.state.pa.us. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Biography". Official Pennsylvania Democratic Caucus Biography. Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus. Archived from the original on 2003-07-01.
- Miller, Larry. "The amazing rise and fall of LeAnna Washington". www.phillytrib.com. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "LeANNA M. WASHINGTON" (PDF). Official Pennsylvania Democratic Caucus Biography. Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Caucus.
She was a high school dropout, teen parent, and victim of domestic violence early in her marriage. Her tenacity, perseverance and faith in God allowed her to transform victimhood to victory.
- Cox, Harold (2004). "Pennsylvania House of Representatives - 1993-1994" (PDF). Wilkes University Election Statistics Project. Pennsylvania State Legislature: Members, Districts and Party Affiliations by Session, 1790 - 2004. Wilkes University.
- "LeAnna M. Washington (Democrat)". Official Pennsylvania House of Representatives Profile. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Archived from the original on 2000-04-20.
- "2005 Special Election for the 4th Senatorial District". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004.
- Couloumbis, Angela; Parks, Jessica (2013-03-12). "Sen. LeAnna Washington charged with misuse of office". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "State Sen. Leanna Washington gets house arrest for corruption plea, will resign Friday". www.pennlive.com. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- Tricia L. Nadolny and Jessica Parks (October 31, 2014). "Washington pleads guilty to conflict-of-interest charges". Inquirer.
- Pennsylvania State Senate - LeAnna M. Washington official PA Senate website
- Senator Washington - official party website
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - LeAnna M. Washington
|This article about a member of the Pennsylvania State Senate is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|