|LeAnna M. Washington|
|Member of the Pennsylvania Senate
from the 4th district
June 14, 2005 – January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||Allyson Schwartz|
|Succeeded by||Arthur L. Haywood III|
|Constituency||Part of Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 200th district
November 22, 1993 – June 14, 2005
|Preceded by||Gordon J. Linton|
|Succeeded by||Cherelle Parker|
|Constituency||Part of Philadelphia County|
July 28, 1945 |
|Alma mater||Lincoln University|
Her Senate biography states that she is "a high school dropout, teen parent, and victim of domestic violence early in her marriage" and that her "tenacity, perseverance and faith in God allowed her to transform victimhood to victory." In 1989 she earned a Master of Health Science degree from Lincoln University. Prior to elective office, she worked as District Office Manager for former Pennsylvania Senator Joseph Rocks and as manager of the Philadelphia Parking Authority Employee Assistance Program.
She was first elected to represent the 200th legislative district in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in a special election on November 2, 1993 following the resignation of Gordon J. Linton.
On March 12, 2014, the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office announced felony charges of diversion of services and conflict of interest against Washington. Speaking through her attorney, Washington has denied any criminal conduct.
In October 2014, Washington agreed to leave office early (she had already lost the primary) in exchange for being permitted to retain her retirement benefits. These benefits include lifetime health insurance and a state pension. She will serve three months house arrest.
- "SESSION OF 2005 - 189TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 35" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania Senate. 2005-06-14.
- "SESSION OF 1993 - 177TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - NO. 58" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2005-06-14.
- "SESSION OF 2005 - 189TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 37" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2005-06-14.
- "LeANNA M. WASHINGTON" (PDF). Official Pennsylvania Democratic Caucus Biography. Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Caucus.
She was a high school dropout, teen parent, and victim of domestic violence early in her marriage. Her tenacity, perseverance and faith in God allowed her to transform victimhood to victory.
- "Biography". Official Pennsylvania Democratic Caucus Biography. Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus. Archived from the original on 2003-07-01.
- Cox, Harold (2004). "Pennsylvania House of Representatives - 1993-1994" (PDF). Wilkes University Election Statistics Project. Pennsylvania State Legislature: Members, Districts and Party Affiliations by Session, 1790 - 2004. Wilkes University.
- "LeAnna M. Washington (Democrat)". Official Pennsylvania House of Representatives Profile. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Archived from the original on 2000-04-20.
- "2005 Special Election for the 4th Senatorial District". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004.
- Couloumbis, Angela; Parks, Jessica (2013-03-12). "Sen. LeAnna Washington charged with misuse of office". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- The Associated Press (October 30, 2014). "State Sen. Leanna Washington gets house arrest for corruption plea, will resign Friday".
- Tricia L. Nadolny and Jessica Parks, (October 31, 2014). "Washington pleads guilty to conflict-of-interest charges". Inquirer.
- Pennsylvania State Senate - LeAnna M. Washington official PA Senate website
- Senator Washington - official party website
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - LeAnna M. Washington
|This article about a member of the Pennsylvania State Senate is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|