This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Established||1986 (New York location)|
|Previous owner(s)||Gilbert Le Coze|
|Head chef||Éric Ripert and Chris Muller|
|Food type||French cuisine, seafood|
155 West 51st Street|
|City||New York City|
|County||New York County|
|Other locations||Paris (until 1986)|
Le Bernardin is a French seafood restaurant in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Gilbert Le Coze and his sister Maguy Le Coze started the restaurant in Paris in 1972, where it was called Les Moines de St. Bernardin. They restarted the restaurant in New York in 1986, not long after receiving a third Michelin star.
Gilbert le Coze died of a heart attack in 1994, and Éric Ripert succeeded him as chef de cuisine. Signature dishes include kindai maguro (sustainably raised Japanese bluefin tuna) and wagyu beef. Chef Ripert later opened another restaurant, Philadelphia's 10 Arts and Westend Bistro, in Washington, D.C..
Awards and accolades
In 2009, Le Bernardin ranked 15th in "The World's 50 Best Restaurants", a shortlist published by Restaurant magazine. The list is compiled by polling chefs, restaurateurs, food critics, and gourmands.
- Outstanding Restaurant, 1998[context?]
- Outstanding Chef – Eric Ripert, 2003[context?]
- Outstanding Pastry Chef – Michael Laiskonis, 2007[context?]
Zagat rates Le Bernardin among the best restaurants in New York. In Zagat's annual survey of restaurant patrons, Le Bernardin received the most votes of any restaurant in the city during the years 2009 to 2012. The ratings are published in a guide for the following year. In 2012, 44,306 restaurant patrons participated in the survey, and the ratings were summarized in the 2013 New York City Restaurants guide.
- Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity (1998)
- A Return to Cooking (2002)
- On the Line (2008)
- "Le Bernardin . 155 West 51st Street . New York City". Le-bernardin.com. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Begelman, Yanna (October 24, 2017). "Le Bernardin New York: Simply Irresistible". The Hedonist. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "3-Star Michelin Restaurant Changes Menu After Investigation Finds Its Kobe Beef Is a Different Meat". InsideEdition.com. April 28, 2016. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "NYC Michelin Guide 2011". Michelinguide.com. Archived from the original on September 25, 2011. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Le Bernardin | Manhattan | Restaurant Menus and Reviews". Zagat. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "The 10 Best Restaurants in New York City". Zagat Blog. Zagat. October 2, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-10-06. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Mulcahy, James. "2013 New York City Restaurants Survey Results Are Live!". Zagat Blog. Zagat. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "La Liste 1000 world's best restaurants". laliste.com.