This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)
|Established||1986(New York location)|
|Previous owner(s)||Gilbert Le Coze|
|Head chef||Éric Ripert and Eric Gestel|
|Food type||French cuisine, seafood|
|Street address||155 West 51st Street|
|City||New York City|
|County||New York County|
|Other locations||Paris (until 1986)|
Le Bernardin is a French seafood restaurant in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Gilbert Le Coze and his sister Maguy Le Coze started the restaurant in Paris in 1972, where it was called Les Moines de St. Bernardin. They restarted the restaurant in New York in 1986, not long after receiving a third Michelin star.
Signature dishes include kindai maguro (farmed Pacific bluefin tuna) and wagyu beef. In 2016, investigative journalists from the US news program Inside Edition found that Le Bernardin, among other restaurants, was falsely marketing their beef as Kobe beef. After the report, the restaurant reworded their menu to read wagyu beef.
Awards and accolades
- Outstanding Restaurant, 1998[needs context]
- Outstanding Chef – Eric Ripert, 2003[needs context]
- Outstanding Pastry Chef – Michael Laiskonis, 2007[needs context]
Zagat rates Le Bernardin among the best restaurants in New York. In Zagat's annual survey of restaurant patrons, Le Bernardin received the most votes of any restaurant in the city during the years 2009 to 2012. The ratings are published in a guide for the following year. In 2012, 44,306 restaurant patrons participated in the survey, and the ratings were summarized in the 2013 New York City Restaurants guide.
- Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity (1998)
- A Return to Cooking (2002)
- On the Line (2008)
- "Contact Us". le-bernardin.com. Le Bernardin. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Begelman, Yanna (October 24, 2017). "Le Bernardin New York: Simply Irresistible". The Hedonist. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "3-Star Michelin Restaurant Changes Menu After Investigation Finds Its Kobe Beef Is a Different Meat". InsideEdition.com. April 28, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Olmsted, Larry (July 2016). "The Best (and Worst) of Times for Japanese Wagyu Beef in the US". Serious Eats.
- "NYC Michelin Guide 2011". Michelinguide.com. Archived from the original on September 25, 2011. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Bruni, Frank. "Only the Four Stars Remain Constant". Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- "Le Bernardin | Manhattan | Restaurant Menus and Reviews". Zagat. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "The 10 Best Restaurants in New York City". Zagat Blog. Zagat. October 2, 2012. Archived from the original on October 6, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Mulcahy, James. "2013 New York City Restaurants Survey Results Are Live!". Zagat Blog. Zagat. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "La Liste Legal". La Liste. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- "La Liste 1000 world's best restaurants". laliste.com.