Le Délit français
|Owner(s)||Daily Publications Society|
|Publisher||Daily Publications Society|
|Managing editors||Yves Boju|
|Headquarters||3480, rue McTavish
|Circulation||5,000(distributed every Tuesday)|
|Sister newspapers||The McGill Daily|
Le Délit, also known as Le Délit français, is an independent francophone newspaper on the McGill University campus, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Serving McGill University's francophone-student minority, Le Délit is a sister publication to the English-language The McGill Daily.
Evolving from the Le McGill Daily français, French-language section in The McGill Daily, Le Délit became a standalone newspaper on September 1, 1977. Initially retaining the name Le McGill Daily français, the publication changed its moniker to the edgier-sounding Le Délit, a play on words; while it sounds like "Le Daily" in English, in French, Le Délit actually means the offense or the misdemeanor.
Le Délit is a founder and former member of Canadian University Press and founder of the Carrefour international de la presse universitaire francophone (CIPUF).
Le Délit is published by The Daily Publications Society (DPS) every Tuesday during the University's Fall and Winter terms. The paper has five main sections in addition to the weekly editorial page: Actualités, Société, Innovations, Culture and Entrevue. Current-affairs features overlap between the Actualités and Société pages.
In accordance with the Constitution of the DPS, the newspaper is run exclusively by McGill students. Below is Le Délit's 2016-2017 editorial board:
- Editor-In-Chief — Ikram Mecheri
- Production Coordinator — Yves Boju
- News Editors — Chloé Mour, Théophile Vareille, Louis-Philippe Trozzo
- Society Editor — Hannah Raffin
- Culture Editors — Dior Sow, Hortense Chauvin
- Innovation Editor — Ronny Al-Nosir
- Visual Coordinators — Mahaut Engérant, Vittorio Pessin
- Copy Editors — Nouédyn Baspin, Madeleine Courbariaux
- Social Media Coordinator — Louise Kronenberger
- Multimedia Coordinator — Magdalena Morales
- Events Coordinator — Lara Benattar
- Webmaster — Mathieu Ménard
In 2016, Le Délit is named "best student journal", receiving the Le Devoir de la presse étudiante prize for its publications throughout 2015 - 2016, ex aequo with l'Artichaut from UQAM . This prize, bestowed by "Les Amis du Devoir" — organization attached to the daily newspaper Le Devoir —, is a journalism contest destined for students at pre-university (CEGEP) and university level.