Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century
||This article is incomplete. (October 2014)|
The 100 Books of the Century (French: Les cent livres du siècle) is a list of the one hundred best books of the 20th century, according to a poll conducted in the spring of 1999 by the French retailer Fnac and the Paris newspaper Le Monde.
Starting from a preliminary list of 200 titles created by bookshops and journalists, 17,000 French voters responded to the question, "Which books have stayed in your memory?" (« Quels livres sont restés dans votre mémoire ? »).
The list of acclaimed titles mixes great novels with poetry and theatre, as well as the comic strip. The first fifty works on the list were the subject of an essay by Frédéric Beigbeder, The Last Inventory Before Liquidation, in which he notably drew attention to its French-centred character. The list emphasizes French novels more, because of the demographics of the surveyed group.
The 100 Books of the Century
Note: Classified by the language of the book's first publication, which may not be the author's principal language.
- Bokklubben World Library (Norway)
- List of Nobel laureates in Literature (Sweden) – including Camus, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Beckett, Sartre, Solzhenitsyn, Gide, García Márquez, Faulkner, Mauriac, Mann, Pirandello, Böll, Lagerlöf, Le Clézio, and Perse
- List of recipients of the Grand Prize of the Académie française (France) – including de Saint-Exupéry, Cohen, Mauriac, Bernanos, and Tournier
- List of recipients of the Prix Goncourt (France) – including Proust, Malraux, de Beauvoir, Tournier, Gracq, and Duras
- List of recipients of the Prix Renaudot (France) – including Céline, Perec, Aragon, Le Clézio, and Beigbeder
- List of recipients of the Prix mondial Cino Del Duca (France) – including Kundera, Borges, Kadare, and Styron
- List of recipients of the Prix Médicis (France) – including Eco, Perec, and Kundera
- List of recipients of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (US) – including Steinbeck, Hemingway, Faulkner, Mitchell, and Styron
- List of recipients of the Neustadt Prize for Literature (US) – including García Márquez
- List of recipients of the European Literary Award (Austria) – including de Beauvoir, Eco, Ionesco, Kundera, Duras, and Rushdie
- List of recipients of the Jerusalem Prize (Israel) – including de Beauvoir, Ionesco, Kundera, Borges, and Kadare
- List of recipients of the Strega Prize (Italy) – including Eco, Buzzati, Moravia, and Levi
- List of recipients of the Prince of Asturias Award (Spain) – including Kadare
- List of recipients of the Cervantes Prize (Spain) – including Borges
- Western canon
- Modern Library 100 Best Novels (US) – all were first published in English
- TIME's List of the 100 Best Novels (US) – all were first published in English
- The Big Read (UK)
- Newsweek's Top 100 Books
- Books o' the Ages: A Millennial/Centennial/Decennial/Annual Reassessment, overview of Best of Century lists