|Written by||Florian Zeller|
André (The father)|
|Date premiered||September 20, 2012|
|Place premiered||Théâtre Hébertot, Paris|
|Setting||A flat in Paris, 2010s|
Le Père (The Father) is a play by the French playwright Florian Zeller which won in 2014 the Molière Award for Best Play. It premiered in September 2012 at the Théâtre Hébertot, Paris, with Robert Hirsch (André) and Isabelle Gélinas (Anne).
The play gained widespread critical acclaim when it premiered as The Father at the Ustinov Studio of the Theatre Royal, Bath, England, in 2014. The role of the father was played by Kenneth Cranham. The play ran in the West End at Wyndham's Theatre in October 2015 to November 2015, and returned to the West End at the Duke of York's Theatre from 24 February 2016 to 26 March 2016, with Kenneth Cranham.
Its American premiere took place on Broadway in a Manhattan Theatre Club production at the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre in 2016 with Frank Langella in the title role. It was directed by Doug Hughes with scenic design by Scott Pask, costumes by Catherine Zuber and lighting by Donald Holder. The cast featured Kathryn Erbe (Anne), Brian Avers (Pierre), Charles Borland (Man), Hannah Cabell (Laura), and Kathleen McNenny (Woman). 
The Singapore premiere is produced by Pangdemonium Theatre Company, and played at the Victoria Theatre from 2 to 18 March 2018, starring Lim Kay Siu in the title role. It starred Tan Kheng Hua, Janice Koh, Adrian Pang, Frances Lee and Keagan Kang.
According to Playbill, the London newspaper The Guardian gave the London production a "a rare five-star review, calling it 'a savagely honest study of dementia', and named it best play of the year.
Awards and nominations
- 2014 Molière Award for Best Play
- 2014 Molière Award for Best Actor in a Private Theatre – Robert Hirsch
- 2014 Molière Award for Best Actress in a Private Theatre – Isabelle Gélinas
- 2015 Critics' Circle Theatre Award for Best Actor – Kenneth Cranham
- 2016 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor – Kenneth Cranham
- 2016 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Actor in a Play – Frank Langella
- 2016 Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play – Frank Langella
- 2017 Irish Times Theatre Award for Best Actor – Owen Roe
- 2017 Shell Award for Best Actor – Fúlvio Stefanini
- 2017 Fleur du Cap Theatre Award for Best Actor – Marius Weyers
- 2015 Theatre Awards UK for Best New Play
- 2015 Evening Standard Theatre Award for Best Play
- 2015 Evening Standard Theatre Award for Best Actor – Kenneth Cranham
- 2016 Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Play
- 2016 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Broadway Play
- 2016 Drama League Award for Outstanding Production of a Play
- 2016 Tony Award for Best Play
- 2017 Irish Times Theatre Award for Best Production
- "The Father five-star review – a savagely honest study of dementia" by Lyn Gardner, The Guardian, 23 October 2014
- Lloyd Webber, Imogen. "'The Father', Starring Kenneth Cranham, Will Transfer to London's West End" broadway.com, 1 July 2015
- The Father, westendtheatre.com, accessed 30 April 2016
- Vine, Hannah. "See Frank Langella in the American Premiere of The Father", Playbill, 30 March 2016
- The Father, Manhattan Theatre Club, accessed 30 April 2016
- "First Look at Frank Langella in Broadway's The Father", theatermania.com, 28 March 2016
- "The Father". Sydney Theatre Company. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "The Father". pangdemonium.com. Retrieved 2017-10-25.
- Viagas, Robert; Clement, Olivia. "Full Cast Announced for Broadway's Father, Starring Frank Langella", Playbill, 28 January 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Le Père.|