|Presented by||Céline Galipeau (Mon. to Thu.)
Pascale Nadeau (Fri. to Sat.)
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of episodes||N/A|
|Running time||47 minutes (Mon. to Thu.)
29 minutes (Fri. to Sat.)
|Original channel||Ici Radio-Canada Télé|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Original release||1970 – present|
Le Téléjournal is the umbrella title used for the television newscasts aired on the Radio-Canada broadcast network. Le Téléjournal (by itself) has been used since 1970 as the title of the network's flagship newscast, originating from Montreal. It is considered the French language equivalent of the English CBC's The National.
Other local and national newscasts airing on Radio-Canada adopted variants of the Téléjournal title beginning in the early 2000s. Local newscasts on Radio-Canada stations, previously known as (city or region name) Ce Soir (This Evening), are also now branded as Le Téléjournal, usually followed by the name of the city or region, e.g. Le Téléjournal/Québec on CBVT-DT in Quebec City. The Montreal program is now known as Le Téléjournal Grand Montréal 18h.
The network's national midday newscast, previously Le Midi and L'heure du midi, was also renamed Le Téléjournal/Midi in the early 2000s. In 2006, its breakfast newscast, Matin Express, was rebranded as Le Téléjournal/matin (later replaced on Radio-Canada with a simulcast of RDI Matin, although RDI itself continues to air a half-hour program titled Le Téléjournal/matin).
The flagship newscast is anchored by Céline Galipeau on Mondays to Thursdays and Pascale Nadeau from Fridays to Sundays. The newscast airs live at 10PM Eastern Time (11PM in the Maritimes, 11:30PM in Newfoundland) on Radio-Canada stations in Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic, and on tape delay at 10PM local in the western provinces. An early edition of the program previously aired on RDI at 9PM ET, but this has now been replaced by a separate program titled Le Téléjournal RDI, hosted by Geneviève Asselin. Every Thursday, the En Table Ronde segment hosted by Galipeau features journalists Tasha Kheiriddin, Michel David and fr:Daniel Lessard in a question and answer session devoted to significant stories of the week.
Bernard Derome anchored the program from 1970 to 1998. He was succeeded by Stéphan Bureau, who anchored the program from 1998 until 2003 when he was replaced by Gilles Gougeon. Derome was brought back as anchor in 2004 in an effort to return the program to its earlier success. He retired from the program again on December 18, 2008. Galipeau, who succeeded Derome as the program's main anchor, was previously the weekend anchor.
Local newscasts under the Téléjournal name air on all stations in the Radio-Canada network. The newscasts run for 30 minutes, except for Ontario and some Quebec stations, where it runs for an hour.
Local newscasts, branded as Le Téléjournal (name of region/city) unless otherwise indicated, are produced in the following regions hosted by the following anchors.
- Alberta (CBXFT-DT) - Ludovick Bourdages
- Atlantic Canada (CBAFT-DT, as Le Téléjournal/Acadie) - Janique LeBlanc, Karine Godin
- Bas-Saint-Laurent/Côte-Nord/Gaspésie (CJBR-DT, as Le Téléjournal/Est du Québec) - Marie-Christine Gagnon, Nadia Ross
- British Columbia (CBUFT-DT) - Julie Carpentier, Jacqueline Landry
- Estrie (CKSH-DT) - Michel Bherer, Annie Corriveau
- Manitoba (including Ontario within CT) (CBWFT-DT) - Kim Roy-Grenier, Carla Oliveira
- Mauricie (CKTM-DT) - Marie-Claude Julien, Jean-Philippe Nadeau
- Montreal (CBFT-DT, as Le Téléjournal Grand Montréal 18 h) - Patrice Roy
- Ontario (ET areas only) (CBLFT-DT; late nights on CBOFT-DT) - Odette Gough, Catherine Lafrance
- Ottawa-Gatineau (CBOFT-DT evenings) - Mathieu Nadon, Daniel Bouchard
- Quebec City (CBVT-DT) - Bruno Savard, Guillaume Dumas
- Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean (CKTV-DT) - Roger Lemay, Jean-François Coulombe
- Saskatchewan (CBKFT-DT) - Stéphanie Allard
The network's two remaining private affiliates air newscasts at 6:30 pm, after simulcasting one of the network-owned stations' newscasts.
- Abitibi-Témiscamingue (CKRN-DT) - Alexandre Dubé (following Le Téléjournal Grand Montréal 18 h)
- Bas-Saint-Laurent/Charlevoix (CKRT-DT) - Marc Larouche (following Le Téléjournal/Est du Québec)
- (French) Le Téléjournal