This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Le Tigre performing in 2004.
|Origin||New York City, U.S.|
|Years active||1998–2007, 2010, 2016|
|Past members||Kathleen Hanna|
Le Tigre (French for "The Tiger", pronounced //) were an American electronic rock band formed by Kathleen Hanna (formerly of Bikini Kill), Johanna Fateman and Sadie Benning in 1998 in New York City. Benning left in 2001 and was replaced by JD Samson for the rest of the group's existence. Le Tigre are known for their left-wing sociopolitical lyrics that often dealt with issues of feminism and the LGBT community. They mixed punk's directness and politics with playful samples, eclectic pop, and lo-fi electronics. The group also added multimedia and performance art elements to their live shows, which often featured support from like-minded acts such as The Need.
Le Tigre were initially envisioned as a live backup band for Hanna's solo project Julie Ruin. They took their name from one of many hypothetical bands made up by Hanna circa 1994. After Benning left the band, Samson filled in for her during live performances and eventually became an official member. Samson had previously worked with the band as a roadie and the operator of the band's slideshow during the few live performances before Benning's departure.
In 2003, Le Tigre collaborated with Chicks on Speed on their cover of Tom Tom Club's "Wordy Rappinghood" from their album 99 Cents along with other artists such as Miss Kittin, Kevin Blechdom, ADULT.'s Nicola Kuperus, and Tina Weymouth of Tom Tom Club. The cover became a moderate dance hit in Europe, peaking at number five on the Belgian Dance Chart, and at number sixty-six on the UK Singles Chart.
In September 2016, the band announced they were reuniting just to release a “special song”. On October 19, 2016, Le Tigre released the song, titled “I’m with Her” and its accompanying video to voice their support of the 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee, Hillary Clinton.
In popular culture
In 2019, "Deceptacon" was used again in the trailer for the Netflix movie of the Funny or Die web-series Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis.
"Keep on Livin'" is used in the 2019 series finale of Jessica Jones.
- Kearney, Mary Celeste (July 13, 2017). "Gender and Rock". Oxford University Press. Retrieved November 24, 2017 – via Google Books.
- "The Punk Singer: meet the original Riot Grrrl". Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Inc, CMJ Network (11 October 2004). "CMJ New Music Report". CMJ Network, Inc. Retrieved 6 December 2017 – via Google Books.
- "The 10 Best Le Tigre Songs". 30 August 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Le Tigre Debut Pro-Clinton 'I'm With Her' Anthem". Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Bedroom Dancing: Le Tigre By Accident". Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Le Tigre to reunite with new one-off single". Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Le Tigre reunite for new pro-Hillary Clinton song "I'm With Her" — watch". 19 October 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Le Tigre Reunite". Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- 5 “Music for Everyone.” Contact - Spotify, www.spotify.com/.
- "Just the Facts Ma'am".
- Phares, Heather (2003). "99 Cents - Chicks on Speed". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Ultratop.be - Chicks On Speed - Wordy Rappinghood". Ultratop (in Dutch). Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "The Official Charts Company - Chicks On Speed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "The Latest on Le Tigre: DVD, Teaching, DJ Dates". Pitchfork.
- "Le Tigre Working With Christina Aguilera - Pitchfork". Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Le Tigre Reunite | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "New Music: Le Tigre Return With Pro-Hillary "I'm With Her"". 19 October 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Fruity Pebbles TV Commercial, 'Yabba Dabba' Song by Le Tigre". Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Kohl's TV Commercial, 'Back to School: T-shirts' Song by Le Tigre". Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Gorillaz - Pandora - "Sounds Like Gorillaz"".