Lea & Perrins
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce Label
Bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
|Produced by||Lea & Perrins|
|Related brands||Worcestershire Sauce|
|Registered as a trademark in|
|Website||Lea & Perrins|
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||405 kJ (97 kcal)|
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|
It is best known as the maker of Lea & Perrins brand of Worcestershire sauce, which was first sold in 1837 by John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins, dispensing chemists from Broad Street, Worcester. It is currently produced in the Midland Road factory in Worcester that Lea and Perrins built. A subsidiary in New Jersey, US, manufactures a US version of the recipe (which they say is based on authentic Indian recipes).
Worcestershire Sauce is currently produced at the Midland Road factory in Worcester that Lea and Perrins built. Midland Road was named after the Midland Railway, the factory originally having rail sidings to provide raw materials and distribution.
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce UK and US recipes differ slightly in that the UK recipe uses malt vinegar while the US version uses distilled white vinegar. Also, the US version used high fructose corn syrup until 2011 when they reverted to sugar due to health concerns. The UK version has always used sugar. The UK version is sold in Canada. Lea & Perrins uses a distinctive paper wrapper for the version sold in the United States. In the UK, the bottle is well known to consumers for both its shape and the orange and black label.
The precise recipe has been a secret, but an original 19th-century list of ingredients was found in a skip at the factory in 2009 and includes vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions and garlic as well as some other key ingredients which may include cloves, soy sauce, lemons, pickles and peppers.
- "Intellectual Property Office - Case details for trade mark UK00002270072". www.ipo.gov.uk. 15 May 2001. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Intellectual Property Office - Case details for trade mark EU002552107". www.ipo.gov.uk. 28 January 2002. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Lea & Perrins — The Original Worcestershire Sauce — 10 oz, Amazon.com.
- Lea & Perrins Canada.
- Fay Schlesinger (2009-11-03). "Original Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce recipe found in skip". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Fay Schlesinger, It's out after 170 years, the secret of Worcestershire Sauce... found in a skip, Daily Mail, 3 November 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lea & Perrins.|
- Lea & Perrins global website
- Lea & Perrins 'Unwrap The Possibilities' US website
- Lea & Perrins Kitchen — Philippines website
- Lea & Perrins Steak confit on YouTube