Leaders of Palestinian institutions
The leaders of the Palestinian institutions are the leaders of the organs of the various Palestinian political entities - the Palestine Liberation Organization, the State of Palestine and the Palestinian National Authority.
- Chairman of the Palestinian National Council for the Palestinian National Council and the Palestinian Central Council of the PLO and the State of Palestine - Salim Zanoun
- Speaker of the Palestinian Legislative Council for the Palestinian Legislative Council of the PNA - Aziz Duwaik
- Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization for the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization and performing governmental functions for the State of Palestine - Mahmoud Abbas
- Prime Minister of the Palestinian National Authority - disputed: Salam Fayyad (in the West Bank) and Ismail Haniyeh (in the Gaza Strip)
- President of the State of Palestine - Mahmoud Abbas
- President of the Palestinian National Authority - disputed: Mahmoud Abbas or Aziz Duwaik
Sometimes both offices are held by the same person, or one or both of these is held by the same person who is also the Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization. The reference "President of Palestine" is utilized as short form for these positions.
|period||Chairman of the Executive Committee of the
Palestine Liberation Organization
|President of the
State of Palestine
|President of the
Palestinian National Authority
|West Bank||Gaza Strip|
|10 June 1964 – 24 December 1967||Ahmad Shukeiri|
|24 December 1967 – 2 February 1969||Yahya Hammuda|
|2 February 1969 – 2 April 1989||Yasser Arafat|
|2 April 1989 – 5 July 1994||Yasser Arafat|
|5 July 1994 – 29 October 2004||Yasser Arafat|
|29 October 2004 - 11 November 2004||Mahmoud Abbas
(on behalf of Yasser Arafat)
(incapacitated by illness)
|11 November 2004 - 15 January 2005||Mahmoud Abbas||vacant||Rawhi Fattouh
as Speaker of the PLC
|15 January 2005 - 8 May 2005||Mahmoud Abbas||vacant||Mahmoud Abbas|
|8 May 2005 - 23 November 2008||Mahmoud Abbas||Mahmoud Abbas
(on request of the PLO-EC)
|23 November 2008 - 15 January 2009||Mahmoud Abbas|
|15 January 2009 -||Mahmoud Abbas||Mahmoud Abbas
as Speaker of the PLC
[acting] — [not applicable]
- Sayigh, Yezid (1999). Armed Struggle and the Search for State: The Palestinian National Movement, 1949–1993 (Illustrated ed.). Oxford University Press. p. 624. ISBN 9780198296430. "The Palestinian National Council also empowered the central council to form a government-in-exile when appropriate, and the executive committee to perform the functions of government until such time as a government-in-exile was established."
- United Nations Educational, Scientific; Cultural Organization, Executive Board (12 May 1989). "Hundred and thirty-first Session: Item 9.4 of the provisional agenda, Request for the Admission of the State of Palestine to UNESCO as a Member State" (PDF). United Nations. pp. 18, Annex II. Retrieved 2010-11-15.: "A government-in-exile, having no effective control in the territory and not having had previous control, ..."
- PLO Executive Committee: "The Executive Committee of the PLO, in practice the "government in exile" of the State of Palestine"
- Government of the Dominican Republic (2009-07-15). "Comunicado Conjunto para Establecimiento Relaciones Diplomaticas entre la Republica Dominican y el Estado de Palestina" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 2011-03-20., page3
- Silverburg, Stanford R (2009). Palestine and International Law: Essays on Politics and Economics. McFarland. p. 198. ISBN 978-0-7864-4248-5.: "Chairman Afarat, who, upon the declaration by the PLO in 1988 of the establishment of the "State of Palestine," assumed the title "President of Palestine"..."
- Aburish, Said K. (1998). From Defender to Dictator. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 201–228. ISBN 1-58234-049-8.
- PLO asks Mahmud Abbas to be acting president of "state of Palestine", Al-Jazeera TV, Doha (8 May 2005): "The PLO Executive Committee has decided to ask [President] Mahmud Abbas to carry out the duties of the president of the state of Palestine until the PLO Central Council [PCC] is convened."
- PLO body elects Abbas 'president of Palestine', AFP (23 November 2008): “I announce that the PLO Central Council has elected Mahmud Abbas president of the State of Palestine. He takes on this role from this day, November 23, 2008,” the body’s chairman Salem al-Zaanun told reporters.
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|