Leah Christine McSweeney
August 27, 1982
New York City, U.S.
Leah Christine McSweeney (born August 27, 1982) is an American fashion designer and television personality. She founded the women's streetwear line Married to the Mob in 2004, and has starred on the reality television series The Real Housewives of New York City since 2020.
McSweeney was born in Manhattan to Bryan and Bunny McSweeney and raised in an Irish-Italian family.
Married to the Mob
Married to the Mob (MTTM) has made several collaborations since its initiation. Amongst its first major collaborations featured a Kangol cashmere 'beanie' cap and a Kaws two-piece graphic swimsuit. Later, MTTM would collaborate with German accessory brand MCM, and French boutique Colette for a limited-edition Reebok lip-print sneaker. MTTM would later create another limited-edition sneaker with Nike. MTTM have also collaborated with French graffiti artist Fafi, Krink, and Jessy "Nite Rider" Kennedy. MTTM has also released collections with models including Chanel West Coast, Kid Sister, Lil Debbie, and the Clermont twins.
In 2010, McSweeney appeared as a client on an episode on Bravo's The Millionaire Matchmaker. Her appearance on Matchmaker was well received by critics, and has led to appearances and cameos on other television programs, including VH1's Love & Hip Hop: New York.
McSweeney was first speculated to be joining the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City after being seen filming with cast member Tinsley Mortimer in August 2019. She was confirmed to have joined the series during an appearance at Bravo's "BravoCon" fan convention in November 2019. McSweeney was referred to production by former cast member Bethenny Frankel, who left the series after the previous season.
McSweeney has officially signed on for her second season as a full-time cast member of The Real Housewives of New York City. McSweeney held off on renewing her contract until she was offered a higher salary, being paid only $3,000 an episode during her season 12 stint.
In 2015, McSweeney became a featured recurring star on Shade 45's Lip Service with Angela Yee of Power 105.1. The following year, she began Improper Etiquette with Laura Stylez of Hot 97. On the podcast, McSweeney and Stylez provide candid perspectives and advice on lifestyle and current issues with occasional celebrity interviews.
McSweeney has been a frequent contributor to the online publication Hypebeast, where she offers commentary on wellness, streetwear style, and motherhood. She also writes an advice column for Penthouse magazine.
On June 27, 2018, McSweeney wrote a controversial article for Penthouse titled Can We Talk About Toxic Femininity? where she criticized #MeToo Movement pioneers Rose McGowan and Asia Argento. McSweeney received wide backlash and harsh judgement for her op-ed piece. Six weeks after McSweeney's article had been published, actor Jimmy Bennett revealed Argento had statutory-raped him when he was only 17 years old, offering him a bribe of $380,000 to remain silent amidst her #MeToo Movement fame.
McSweeney gave birth to her only child with Cristofaro, daughter Kier Marie, in 2007.
|2010||The Millionaire Matchmaker||"Opposites Don't Attract" (season 4, episode 7)|||
|2013||Celebrity Page||Season 7, episode 126|
|2015||Love & Hip Hop: New York||"Call Your Bluff" (season 5, episode 9)|
|2020–present||The Real Housewives of New York City||Main cast member (season 12-present)|
|2020||Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen||Season 17, episode 70|
- McSweeney in Lam, Wendy (July 19, 2007). "Let's Get Intimate with... Leah @ Married to the Mob". Nitrolicious. Archived from the original on June 18, 2020. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Married to the Mob x Kangol Beanie". Hypebeast. December 18, 2007. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Espinoza, Joshua (April 18, 2019). "Married to the Mob and Reebok Classics Reunited 10 Years After First Collaboration". Complex. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "Fafi x MTTM I". Married to the Mob. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "Jessy Kennedy for Married to the Mob "Heather" Tee". Hypebeast. March 23, 2009. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "Watch Opposites Don't Attract". Bravo. November 30, 2010. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Bacardi, Francesa (August 26, 2019). "Leah McSweeney spotted filming 'RHONY' with Tinsley Mortimer". Page Six. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Quinn, Dave (November 15, 2019). "Leah McSweeney Is Bravo's Newest Real Housewives of New York City Star". People. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Quinn, Dave; McNeil, Liz (February 12, 2020). "Bethenny Frankel Helped Cast Leah McSweeney on RHONY Before Her Exit: Sources". People. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Naumann, Ryan. "'RHONY' Star Leah McSweeney Signs Contract, Returning For Season 13 After Holding Out For Raise". The Blast. Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- Cook, Cynthia. "Leah McSweeney's RHONY Salary Is Revealed As She Might Not Return Next Season After Reportedly Receiving A Low Ball Offer And 'Minuscule' Pay Raise From Bravo". Reality Blurb!. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- Kranich, Briana. "RHONY Season 12: 5 Ways Leah McSweeney Makes A Great Addition To The Cast (& 5 Ways She's A Threat)". ScreenRant. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "Laura Stylez & Leah McSweeney Kick Off 'Improper Etiquette' Podcast". Snobette. May 20, 2016. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Briscuso, Lex (August 23, 2019). "Leah McSweeney Joins the 'Real Housewives of New York' Cast After Bethenny's Exit: 'She's Perfect for the Show'". Life & Style. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- McSweeney, Leah. "Can We Talk About Toxic Femininity?". Penthouse. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- Ma, Alexandra. "Leading #MeToo figure Asia Argento accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old actor and paying him off". Insider. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Domonoske, Camila. "'New York Times' Reports Asia Argento Paid Off An Accuser Of Her Own". NPR. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Laviola, Erin (April 2, 2020). "Rob Cristofaro, Leah McSweeney's Ex: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Official website
- Married to the Mob website
- Iarrobino, Bianca (November 13, 2014). "Get to Know Leah McSweeney of Married to the Mob". Nylon. Retrieved June 3, 2020.