|Industry||Personal finance, Software|
|Founder||Alexa Von Tobel|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, USA|
|Parent||Northwestern Mutual Life|
LearnVest is an American financial planning company founded by CEO Alexa Von Tobel. It sells personal finance software.
LearnVest's headquarters are in New York and they have an Expert Hub in Phoenix. LearnVest was selected as a TechCrunch50 2009 Company and debuted in September 2009 at the TechCrunch50 conference in San Francisco.
The LearnVest Program focuses on behavior change and “takes you from cutting expenses to budgeting for goals to investing your money.” Clients work with LearnVest Planners to make progress on their money. There are “three tiers of access to financial plans” The LearnVest Program was featured in von Tobel’s New York Times Bestseller, Financially Fearless.
Money Center Tool
The Money Center is an online tool that lets users track their spending, visualize their budgets and financial goals. In addition to the built-in budgeting system, full goal tracking, full trends and analysis, and a financial inbox, Money Center allows live co-viewing of user’s account and dashboard between the user and his or her LearnVest financial planner.
LearnVest Planning, a subsidiary of LearnVest Inc., is a Registered Investment Advisor through which LearnVest employs Certified Financial Planners nationwide. As a registered SEC financial advisor, LearnVest is able to offer portfolio recommendations and general investment advice.
iPhone and iPad Apps
LearnVest released free iPhone and iPad apps that help users track their spending and their financial goals. The LearnVest app was featured as an iTunes App Store New & Noteworthy pick.
Investment and finances
The company hosted its first live event, LearnVest LIVE, in New York City in October 2012, featuring lectures by fashion designer Cynthia Rowley, Cosmo editor and Project Runway mentor Joanna Coles, Top Chef judge Gail Simmons and Gilt Groupe cofounder Alexandra Wilkis Wilson. LearnVest has since held LIVE events in Los Angeles, Boston and San Francisco. In 2014, LearnVest CEO Alexa von Tobel kicked off a 20-city book tour for Financially Fearless. The book tour focused on going across the country to help people make progress on their money.
Press and awards
- TechCrunch50 2009
- Forbes's Top 100 Websites for Women
- Business Insider's Digital 100 List
- Time Magazine's annual list of 50 Best Websites
- FinovateFall Best of Show 2011, 2012, 2013
- Most Influential Content 2014
- "ELISA Kit, Antibody, Protein and more | MyBioSource Blog". Your-story.org. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- White, William N. (2009-10-29). "Personal Finance Web Site To Debut | News | The Harvard Crimson". Thecrimson.com. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "LearnVest Raises $16.5 Million". Business Insider. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Why Most Twentysomethings Dont Understand Personal Finance". Archived from the original on January 26, 2010. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "LearnVest". Archived from the original on December 28, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Personalized Financial Planning Service LearnVest Raises $28M From Northwestern Mutual Capital". TechCrunch. 2014-04-15. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Putnam Investments To Provide 401(K) Participants With Access To Financial Wellness Services To Help Plan and Prepare For Retirement". Putnam.com. 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Financial Advice for Those With Small Nest Eggs". The New York Times. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Alexa von Tobel talks money mindset in "Financially Fearless" book". Blogs.denverpost.com. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Hardawar, Devindra (11 September 2012). "Financial planning for all: LearnVest gets its biggest update yet". Venture Beat.
- Perez, Sarah (11 September 2012). "It's Not Just For Women Anymore: LearnVest Brings Financial – And Now Investment – Planning To Everyone". TechCrunch.
- Carrns, Ann (11 September 2012). "LearnVest Dips Its Toes Into Investment Advice". The New York Times.
- iTunes App Store (2012). "LearnVest". Apple.
- Miller, Claire Cain (1 April 2010). "Accel Invests in Personal Finance Site for Women". The New York Times.
- Rao, Leena (12 July 2011). "Accel And Others Put 19M In Female-Focused Personal Finance Guide LearnVest". TechCrunch.
- Casserly, Meghan (26 July 2013). "LearnVest Planning's $16.5 Million Cash Infusion". Forbes.
- "Announcing: LearnVest LIVE, an Inspiring Evening of Lifestyle and Money Advice". Fox Business.[permanent dead link]
- "LearnVest LIVE: A Night to be Financially Fearless - New York Calendar". Guest of a Guest. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140714233322/https://circles.leanin.org/spaces/28605/collections/10495/posts/329932. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved June 11, 2014. Missing or empty
- Schicktanz, Julie (2014-01-15). "LearnVest-Inspired Book, Financially Fearless, Tops Charts as Best Seller". Finovate. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "I'm Alexa von Tobel, Founder of LearnVest, and This Is How I Work". Lifehacker.com. 2013-06-23. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Casserly, Meghan (20 June 2012). "Top 100 Websites for Women 2012". Venture Beat.
- Shontell, Alyson (21 September 2011). "2011 Digital 100: The complete list 1-100". Business Insider.
- McCracken, Harry (16 August 2011). "50 Websites That Make the Web Great". Time.
- Penn, David (2015-03-27). "LearnVest Acquired by Northwestern Mutual for More than $250 Million". Finovate. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Brittany Dowell (2014-03-07). "We're Proud to Announce Influence & Co.'s 3rd Annual MVP Awards!". Blog.influenceandco.com. Retrieved 2015-11-17.