Learning to Drive (film)
|Learning to Drive|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Isabel Coixet|
|Produced by||Dana Friedman|
|Written by||Sarah Kernochan|
|Music by||Dhani Harrison|
|Edited by||Keith Reamer|
|Distributed by||Broad Green Pictures|
|Box office||$3.4 million (USA)|
Learning to Drive is a 2014 American comedy drama film. Directed by Isabel Coixet and written by Sarah Kernochan based on a New Yorker article by Katha Pollitt, the film stars Patricia Clarkson as Wendy, a successful book critic taking driving lessons with instructor Darwan (Ben Kingsley) after the breakup of her marriage to Ted (Jake Weber) forces her to become more self-sufficient. This is the second collaboration between Ben Kingsley, Patricia Clarkson, and Isabel Coixet.
Learning to Drive is about the unlikely friendship that develops between two very different New Yorkers. Wendy is a sharp-tongued book critic whose husband just left her, inspiring her to embrace her independence and learn how to drive. Her teacher, Darwan, is a gentle Indian Sikh driving instructor with an impending arranged marriage. As Darwan teaches Wendy how to drive, they both learn valuable lessons about relationships, life, and the value of friendship.
- Patricia Clarkson as Wendy Shields
- Ben Kingsley as Darwan Singh Tur
- Grace Gummer as Tasha
- Jake Weber as Ted
- Sarita Choudhury as Jasleen
- John Hodgman as Car Salesman
- Samantha Bee as Debbie
- Matt Salinger as Peter
- Daniela Lavender as Mata
- Michael Mantell as Wendy's Father
- Avi Nash as Preet
- Bryan Burton as the student driver
- Nora Hummel as the driving examiner
Reviews for Learning to Drive were mixed to positive. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 66% score from 56 film critics' reviews, with an average 6.3/10. The consensus states: "The story's a bit predictable, but Learning to Drive is elevated by typically strong work from stars Patricia Clarkson and Ben Kingsley." On another review aggregator, Metacritic, the film has a score of 59 out of 100, based on reviews from 23 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Patricia Clarkson as Katha Pollitt in Isabel Coixet's Learning to Drive". Indiewire, August 21, 2013.
- Tallerico, Brian. "Reviews | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Labrecque, Jeff. "Ben Kingsley on Learning to Drive and working with the female Scorsese". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "‘The Imitation Game’ Wins Toronto Audience Award". The Wrap, September 14, 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela. "Broad Green Sets Release Dates for First Six Films". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Saito, Stephen (September 12, 2014). "TIFF '14 Interview: Isabel Coixet on Taking the Wheel for "Learning to Drive"". The Moveable Fest.
- "Learning to Drive (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "Learning to Drive". Metacritic. Retrieved August 22, 2015.