Learning to Fly (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song)
|"Learning to Fly"|
|Single by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|from the album Into the Great Wide Open|
|Released||17 June 1991|
|Genre||Heartland rock, folk rock, country rock|
|Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers singles chronology|
"Learning to Fly" is a song by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It was written in 1991 by Tom Petty and his writing partner Jeff Lynne for the album Into the Great Wide Open. The entire song is based on only four simple chords, (F, C, A minor, and G). It became a top hit for Petty and the Heartbreakers.
- Side A: "Learning to Fly"
- Side B: "Too Good To Be True"
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Mike Campbell – double neck electric guitar and backing vocals
- Howie Epstein – bass and backing vocals
- Stan Lynch – drums
- Tom Petty – lead vocals and backing vocals, acoustic guitar
- Benmont Tench – synthesizer
- Jeff Lynne – guitars, bass, vocals, piano, synthesizer
Release and Success
"Learning to Fly" was released as the first single from Into the Great Wide Open and reached #28 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also became his most successful single on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart, reaching the top of the chart and remaining at the summit for six weeks. "Learning to Fly" earliest charting was in the United Kingdom, debuting at #65 on June 29. The next week it rose to #46, and stayed on the UK chart for two more weeks before slipping off entirely.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications), page 490.
- "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Learning To Fly". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- Hung, Steffen. "charts.nz - New Zealand charts portal". charts.nz. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Learning To Fly". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "Official Charts Company". Official Charts Company. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "RPM 100 Hit Tracks of 1991". RPM. Retrieved November 23, 2017.