LeATHERMØUTH at The Skate and Surf Festival 2013
|Genres||Hardcore punk, post-hardcorehorror punk|
(one-off reunion: 2013)
|Labels||Epitaph, Skeleton Crew|
|Associated acts||My Chemical Romance, Reggie and the Full Effect, Death Spells, Pencey Prep, Frnkiero andthe Cellabration|
|Past members||Andrew Escobar
Leathermouth (often typeset as LeATHERMØUTH) was a hardcore punk band led by former My Chemical Romance rhythm guitarist Frank Iero. The band formed in 2007, and in January 2009 released their first album XO.
Leathermouth was formed in 2007 by some friends of My Chemical Romance's rhythm guitarist Frank Iero. Iero had heard a few demo tracks from the band, and wanted to sign the band to his own independent label, Skeleton Crew. It was not until the previous lead singer had failed to write any lyrics that Iero became a member. He uses the band as a way to vent the frustrations he has with the current political and social climate; he has additionally stated that writing the lyrics was a way for him to cope with anxiety and depression he had felt during his life, with some of the songs written before the band had even formed.  As a member of Leathermouth, this is the first project where he contributes lyrics and lead vocals since Pencey Prep (who broke up shortly after My Chemical Romance was formed). Leathermouth played their first shows in the summer of 2008 alongside Warship for the Fall 2008 Reggie and the Full Effect "Farewell Tour". Iero hoped to tour with Leathermouth when he was not working with My Chemical Romance.
In October 2008, Leathermouth signed to Epitaph Records. Retrieved on January 20, 2009. as opposed to Frank Iero's label as originally planned. Iero thought that it would be difficult to promote the album himself, if released through his own label, with his current obligations to My Chemical Romance and the other bands signed to his label. Epitaph Records president, Brett Gurewitz, was impressed with the band's "intensity and songwriting of the music." Leathermouth released their first studio album on January 27, 2009 through Epitaph entitled XO. Although the album did not chart on the Billboard 200, it did reach #21 on the Top Heatseekers chart.
In a 2012 interview with Iero, he revealed that many of the other band members turned to religion and decided not to be a part of Leathermouth anymore. Iero also stated he would like to continue Leathermouth, but is unsure if it will actually happen. He said, "There's still part of me that would hate not doing that band again. There's something brewing, but I don't know what it is. I really wanted that band to go on longer, but Jesus had other plans."
- Final Line-Up
- Frank Iero – lead vocals (2007-2010, 2013)
- Rob Hughes – lead guitar, backing vocals (2007-2010, 2013)
- Ed Auletta – rhythm guitar (2008-2010, 2013)
- John McGuire – bass, backing vocals (2008-2010, 2013)
- James Dewees – drums, percussion (2008-2010, 2013)
- Former members
- Andrew Escobar - bass, backing vocals (2007)
- Vincent Averelli - rhythm guitar (2007)
- Steve Oyola - drums, percussion (2007)
- Studio albums
- XØ (2009)
- "Bodysnatchers 4 Ever" (2008)
- WOW - Tu Portal de Música - La otra banda de Frank Iero: Leathermouth, una banda post-hardcore (a post-hardcore band)
- Kill Your Stereo - Reviews: LeATHERMOUTH - XO:
- Artist Info - LeATHERMOUTH Epitaph.com. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- Shultz, Brian. "Epitaph Details Leathermouth (My Chemical Romance) Debut" Alternative Press. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- Harris, Chris. "Frank Iero Says My Chemical Romance Fans Will Be Bummed Out By Leathermouth" MTV.com. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- Manley, Brandan (2009). "In-Store Session with Vocalist Frank Iero". Alternative Press. 247, 104.
- Shultz, Brian. "Reggie and the Full Effect Announce Final Tour; Leathermouth (My Chemical Romance) and Warship (ex-From Autumn to Ashes) Supporting" Alternative Press. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- "Leathermouth Debut XO in January" Epitaph.com. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- Karan, Tim. "Leathermouth Sign to Epitaph" Alternative Press
- "Epitaph to Release Leathermouth Debut Album 26th January 2009" Altsounds. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- "Artist Chart History - Leathermouth - Albums" Billboard.com. Retrieved on February 5, 2009.
- Pettigrew, Jason (October 1, 2012). "Flavor Of The Bleak: A brief Q&A with My Chemical Romance's Frank Iero". Alternative Press. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Strummer, Brittany (January 21, 2013). "Glassjaw and Rx Bandits added to Skate and Surf Festival". Punknews.org. Retrieved February 18, 2013.