Leave the Night On
|"Leave the Night On"|
|Single by Sam Hunt|
|from the album Montevallo|
|Released||June 16, 2014|
|Sam Hunt singles chronology|
"Leave the Night On" is a song co-written and recorded by American singer Sam Hunt. It was released to country radio, by MCA Nashville on June 16, 2014 as the lead single from his debut studio album Montevallo (2014). The song was written by Hunt, Shane McAnally and Josh Osborne.
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock reviewed the single favorably, saying that "There will be some who see 'Leave The Night On' as nothing but another 'Bro' song but to me, it feels much different. Yes, it's about hanging out and having a good time with a girl you like under the moonlight, but it uses that theme as a vehicle to deliver a seriously strong debut single". Taste of Country also reviewed the song favorably, with their review saying that "Lyrically 'Leave the Night On' is thematically similar to some of the most popular country songs but that doesn't mean Hunt has stopped pushing the boundaries of traditional country music just yet. Perhaps the most unique aspect of Hunt's talent, what distinguishes him from other new artists, is his polished, hip-hop inspired cadence." Giving it a "B", Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe said that "I feel like I've heard this song so many times before that the artist has to work extra hard just to even keep my attention. Sam Hunt works pretty hard to do that. Not as a vocalist, mind you. But as a songwriter, which is what's put him on the map in the first place."
"Leave the Night On" debuted upon its release at number 26 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, selling 22,000 copies. The song quickly climbed up the Country Airplay chart, and entered the US Billboard Hot 100 at number 98 on its second week of release. The song peaked at number 30 on the US Billboard Hot 100, and number one on both the Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts, for the week of November 15, 2014 after Hunt's debut studio album Montevallo was released. The album also debuted at number one on the Top Country Albums chart and number three on the US Billboard 200, making Hunt only the second solo male country artist in the Nielsen SoundScan-era to simultaneously lead the Top Country Albums and Hot Country Songs charts with a rookie release, more than 22 years after Billy Ray Cyrus achieved the same feat with his debut single "Achy Breaky Heart" and his debut studio album Some Gave All. The song was certified Platinum by the RIAA on October 28, 2014, and reached its millionth sales mark in the US in February 2015.
Charts and certifications
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,002,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Leave the Night On". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Sam Hunt, 'Leave the Night On' [Listen]". Taste of Country. 16 June 2014. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Leave the Night On". Combustion Music. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Bjorke, Matt (16 June 2014). "Single Review: Sam Hunt - Leave The Night On". Roughstock. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Coyne, Kevin John (30 June 2014). "Sam Hunt — 'Leave the Night On'". Country Universe. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Alanna Conaway (June 25, 2014). "Country Chart News: The Top 30 Digital Singles For June 25, 2014". Roughstock.
- Wade Jessen (November 7, 2014). "Sam Hunt Scores Country Charts Feat Last Achieved 22 Years Ago". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – Sam Hunt – Leave the Night On". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Matt Bjorke (March 11, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of February 27, 2015". Roughstock.
- "CMT : Videos : Sam Hunt : Leave The Night On". Country Music Television. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2014: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2015: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "Canadian single certifications – Sam Hunt – Leave the Night On". Music Canada. Retrieved March 21, 2015.