|Birth name||Anna 'Leddra' Chapman|
Brentwood, England, UK
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar and piano|
|Labels||ALC Records, Dramatico Deutschland|
Anna Leddra Chapman (born 1989, better known as Leddra Chapman, is a British singer-songwriter from Brentwood in Essex. She rose to prominence when her debut single, "Story", was released on 7 December 2009 to much critical success and strong radio support from Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2 during his last months at the station. The track is taken from her debut album, Telling Tales, which was produced by Peter-John Vettese and released for download on 29 November 2009. She was a student at London College of Music and she is also an ambassador for clothing company Quiksilver and The Body Shop. Her single 'All About You', from her second EP 'The Crowds and Cocktails', was BBC Radio 2's single of the week on 4 March 2013 and later added to the radio's B List.
Chapman has been interviewed by industry intelligence magazine, Five Eight, and mentioned by Music Ally. She is best known for her high, soprano voice. Music Week magazine have described her as "filling a similar space to early Alanis Morissette and Joni Mitchell".
- 1 Music career
- 2 Discography
- 3 References
- 4 External links
At the age of 12, Chapman began learning the guitar and began writing songs and continued writing until she had enough songs to play live at local venues. She soon began touring nationally, and taught herself to play piano and produce her own demos at her home studio. This resulted in an invitation to play at Manchester's in the City Music Conference.
2009–12: Telling Tales
In 2009 Chapman began work on completing her debut album 'Telling Tales' with musical collaborators such as Peter-John Vettese, releasing the record in late November 2009. Praised by critics, with The Independent labelling the album as 'pitch-perfect acoustic pop' , the album's lead single 'Story' saw much radio support, especially from Sir Terry Wogan during his final months presenting the BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show. "Story" was subsequently B-Listed on Radio 2 for seven consecutive weeks. This culminated in a televised live performance of the song on ITV's This Morning. The follow-up single "Summer Song" was also playlisted by BBC Radio 2. Chapman and her live band followed this up with a two-month UK tour that included sell-out shows in London. "Edie" and "A Little Easier" were also released as singles.
2011: A Trick or Two
After promotion for 'Telling Tales' finished, Chapman began work on her second album which was expected for release in late 2011. However, instead Chapman released her first EP, titled 'A Trick or Two' on 20 November 2011. The EP charted at number 72 in the UK and composes of 4 tracks, and the deluxe edition features an additional track. The EP saw Chapman venture into Hip-Hop and Breakbeat.
- Where You Want Me – 3:36
- Guilty – 3:15
- Any Questions? – 3:47
- Let Me Fall – 3:30
- Heartbeat (Live) – 4:03^
^Only available on deluxe edition of the EP.
2012: Signing to 'Dramatico Deutschland'
2013–present:Second studio album
Chapman is currently working on her second studio album. No official details have been given yet on the record, but on Facebook she asked her followers what songs they wanted to hear on the album. On Tuesday 1 January 2013 Chapman premièred the song 'Lioness' which is available for free download. Chapman released 'Beauty With Heart' as a single on 8 January with The Body Shop as a charity release for Teenage Cancer Trust.
In an interview in early 2013 Chapman said: "...the big one this year is to put my second album out. I’ve written dozens (and dozens!) of songs since Telling Tales, and I can’t wait to share them with you. Some you will have heard at gigs and online – they may even be more familiar than the Telling Tales songs now.
The Crowds and Cocktails
Chapman announced on 23 January 2013 that she would be releasing a new EP called 'The Crowds and Cocktails'. The EP was released on 18 February 2013 and has five tracks. The EP saw Chapman return to a similar style reminiscent of 'Telling Tales' and saw the release of single 'All About You', which premiered on BBC Radio 2 on 26 January 2013 on The Graham Norton Show. The EP is available for digital download on iTunes, however, was available as a physical CD exclusively at her 2013 winter tour. The single, 'All About You', was BBC Radio 2's single of the week on the week ending 10 March 2013 and later added to the radio's B list. The song has so far peaked at number 41 on the UK Airplay Chart
- All About You – 3:15
- Supermarket – 2:52
- Tongue Tied – 2:46
- Woman – 4:21
- Fallen From Grace (Live Bonus Track) – 3:57
My Mother's Mind
It was announced that the album would be released through pledge music under the title "My Mother's Mind" in spring 2014, and the official version later that year, preceding the release of 'Playground' as the second single; after 'All About You'.
On 5 March 2012 the song 'Tables Turn' by R'n'B artist Redzz was released whereby Leddra had a featuring role in singing the chorus, the song also featured cameo roles by DJ Ironik, A Squeezy and Isaac Ssebandeke.
|Album Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Album title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|A Trick or Two||
|The Crowds and Cocktails||
|Year||Single Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2010||A Little Easier||–|
|2013||Beauty With Heart||–||Charity single|
|All About You||–||The Crowds and Cocktails|
|2014||Playground||–||My Mother's Mind|
As featured artist
|Single title||Peak chart positions|
|"Tables Turn" (Redzz featuring Leddra Chapman)||–|
|"Enemy Lines" (Olly B featuring Leddra Chapman)||–|
|"The One" (Alistair Griffin featuring Leddra Chapman)||–|
- Lauren John (9 October 2009). "Introducing Leddra Chapman". Music UK. Retrieved 29 October 2009.
- "Leddra Chapman Facebook". Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Cutting Edge Voices talks with Anna Leddra-Chapman". Cutting Edge Voices. 28 January 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2009.
- "Leddra Chapman Bio". Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- [dead link]
- "BBC – Leddra Chapman reflects on her breakthrough in 2010". BBC News. 26 December 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "iTunes – Music – A Trick or Two (Deluxe Version) – EP by Leddra Chapman". Itunes.apple.com. 20 November 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "HAPPY NEW YEAR – Leddra Chapman". Leddrachapman.tumblr.com. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Lioness by Leddra Chapman on SoundCloud – Hear the worldâ€™s sounds". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "All About You Premiere". Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Leddra Chapman EP". Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "All About You B List". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "The UK Radio Airplay Chart". Ukairplaychart.com. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "iTunes – Music – The Crowds and Cocktails – EP by Leddra Chapman". Itunes.apple.com. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Someone Better Than You Live by Quiksilver woman Leddra Chapman and Ed Sheeran". YouTube. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Ed Sheeran & Leddra Chapman – F You! (Cee Lo Green Cover)". YouTube. 3 September 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Redzz – Tables Turn ft Leddra Chapman". YouTube. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Beauty With Heart". Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "All About You". Retrieved 1 April 2013.