Lee's Summit R-VII School District
The Lee's Summit R-7 School District serves parts of Lee's Summit, Kansas City, Missouri, rural eastern Jackson County and the entirety of Unity Village, Greenwood, Lake Winnebago, and Lake Lotawana in the State of Missouri. The district serves an area of approximately 117 square miles (300 km2) and has an enrollment of close to 18,000. Website is lsr7.org.
Awards and facts
The following is a list of the district's awards and honors (posted July 2012):
- R-7 was among 16 percent of the nation's school districts receiving the "What Parents Want" national award in spring 2012. The award is offered by SchoolMatch.
- The school district is a winner of Missouri’s Distinction in Performance Award, the state’s highest recognition for academic achievement. During fall 2011, the R-7 School District was recognized for being among a handful of districts in the state to earn a perfect score on criteria for the Distinction In Performance Award each year for the last 11 years.
- R-7 guidance counselors reported that approximately 88 percent of the 2012 graduates have indicated that they plan to attend college, based on information gathered from students.
- The class of 2012 was offered close to $25 million in college scholarship potential during spring 2012.
- Ten R-7 School District seniors were named National Merit Scholarship Corporation finalists in spring 2012.
- Lee’s Summit R-7 students consistently score above state and national norms on all tests, including the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) Tests and ACT college-entrance test.
- The Lee’s Summit R-7 composite ACT score was also one of the highest among Kansas City metropolitan area school districts, including those in both Missouri and Kansas. On the Missouri side, ACT averages for the three Lee's Summit R-7 high schools ranked first, second and third (with R-7 schools tying with Park Hill District high schools for the top two spots).
- The R-7 School District is a three-time winner of the national Magna Award for its Senior Citizens' School Tours, the 21st Century Learning program and for the capital campaign conducted by the Lee's SummitE ducational Foundation for Great Beginnings Early Education Center.
- Summit Technology Academy is a partner in the Missouri Innovation Campus, which received a $500,000 Community Development Block Grant to help launch a program designed to train students for career opportunities in high-demand fields, cut the time it takes to earn a college degree and reduce debt. Other partners include the University of Central Missouri and Metropolitan Community College.
- Great Beginnings Early Education Center was recognized by the Missouri School Boards' Association as a finalist for the association's FutureBuilders Early Childhood Education Program of the Year.
- Lee's Summit R-7 was among 10 educational organizations from across the nation to earn the 2011 Green Cleaning Award from American School and University magazine.
- All three R-7 School District high schools offer the International Baccalaureate program, a rigorous curriculum offering students the opportunity to compete with high-achieving students worldwide. Only 10 high schools in Missouri offer this program.
- The A+ program is offered at all three high schools. Qualifying students enrolled in this state-funded program are eligible for reimbursements at Missouri community colleges, vocational/technical institutions and some four-year colleges.
- Money magazine named Lee's Summit R-7 schools as 27th best in the nation in its 2010 annual "Best Places to Live" issue focusing on the nation's top 100 small cities.
There are 28 schools in the district, including:
- Great Beginnings Early Education Center
- Cedar Creek Elementary School
- Greenwood Elementary School
- Hawthorn Hill Elementary School
- Hazel Grove Elementary School
- Highland Park Elementary School
- Lee's Summit Elementary School
- Longview Farm Elementary School
- Mason Elementary School
- Meadow Lane Elementary School
- Pleasant Lea Elementary School
- Prairie View Elementary School
- Richardson Elementary School
- Summit Pointe Elementary School
- Sunset Valley Elementary School
- Trailridge Elementary School
- Underwood Elementary School
- Westview Elementary School
- Woodland Elementary School
- Bernard C. Campbell Middle School
- Summit Lakes Middle School
- Pleasant Lea Middle School
- Lee's Summit High School
- Lee's Summit West High School
- Lee's Summit North High School
- Summit Ridge Academy
- Summit Technology Academy
- Miller Park Center