Lee Bo-young at the press conference for Whisper (2017)
January 12, 1979 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Seoul Women's University (B.A. in Korean Literature)|
|Agent||Fly Up Entertainment|
|Spouse(s)||Ji Sung (m. 2013)|
|Children||Kwak Ji-yoo (daughter)|
|Revised Romanization||I Bo-yeong|
Lee Bo-young won the Miss Korea beauty pageant in Daejeon and the surrounding South Chungcheong Province in 2000. Having majored in Korean literature at Seoul Women's University, she originally dreamed of becoming a news presenter. She was one of 15 finalists in MBC's annual recruitment drive in 2002, but ended up not getting the job. Instead, she turned to modeling, and was chosen as the exclusive advertising model for Asiana Airlines, considered a gateway to stardom.
In 2005, Lee played her first leading role in the daily drama My Sweetheart, My Darling, followed by the Silla-set historical epic Ballad of Seodong with Jo Hyun-jae. She spent the next several years in television dramas — Mr. Goodbye with Ahn Jae-wook, Queen of the Game with Joo Jin-mo, and Becoming a Billionaire with Ji Hyun-woo — but none struck a chord with audiences or critics.
After playing the love interest in My Brother (2004) and A Dirty Carnival (2006), Lee was cast in her first major big screen role in Once Upon a Time (2008). The heist comedy is set during colonial rule in the 1940s, and she and Park Yong-woo played notorious swindlers out to steal a diamond from the Japanese army.
Her two films released in 2009 were both melodramas. In More Than Blue, Lee plays the soulmate of a terminally ill man (Kwon Sang-woo), but their love ends in a tragedy undercut with a poetic sparseness. While in the ironically titled I Am Happy, Lee played a nurse who falls for a patient in the psychiatric ward (Hyun Bin), and in each other they find consolation to see them through their harsh and miserable reality.
Lee returned to television in 2010, playing a seductress in the quirky cable drama Harvest Villa opposite Shin Ha-kyun. She then had a guest arc as the president's daughter in spy series Athena: Goddess of War, followed by post-divorce romance series Hooray for Love with Lee Tae-sung, and revenge drama Man from the Equator (2012) with Uhm Tae-woong.
She then played the titular character in My Daughter Seo-young, a career woman who is angry at her father (Chun Ho-jin), whose gambling addiction led to her mother's death, yet she struggles to keep the family together and make ends meet. Lee said playing Seo-young required a greater depth of emotion than any of her previous roles, which left her drained but also feeling a greater sense of achievement. The family drama was the biggest hit yet of Lee's career; it dominated the weekly ratings chart for 22 straight weeks, and recorded a series high of 47.6% on its last episode, the highest Korean drama rating in 2013.
Her follow-up series I Can Hear Your Voice (2013) was also popular during its run. In it, Lee played a materialistic public defender who testified on behalf of a boy with supernatural abilities (Lee Jong-suk) a decade ago after she witnessed the boy's father being murdered. Critics said with her stubborn and argumentative character, Lee was able to break free of her previous calm and elegant image. She won several awards for her performance, including the Daesang ("Grand Prize"), the highest honor at the SBS Drama Awards.
In 2017, Lee was confirmed for the upcoming SBS drama Whisper, a legal thriller.
Lee is also active in environmental causes, including the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification.
While on acting hiatus in 2015 during her pregnancy, she published the book Time of Love, a collection of essays on 23 books with themes of love, consolation and growth that have impacted Lee throughout her childhood and adulthood; they include The Little Prince, José Mauro de Vasconcelos's My Sweet Orange Tree, and Alain de Botton's Essays in Love.
Lee met actor Ji Sung on the set of 2004 TV series Save Last Dance for Me, and they confirmed their relationship in 2007. On August 2, 2013, they announced their engagement by uploading handwritten letters on their respective official fan sites. They married at Aston House, W Seoul Walkerhill Hotel on September 27, 2013. Their first child, daughter Kwak Ji-yoo was born on June 12, 2015.
|2003||Escape from Unemployment||Cha Mi-rim||SBS|
|Long Live Love||Se-ryung|
|2004||People of the Water Flower Village||Yoo Yeo-kyung||MBC|
|Save the Last Dance for Me||Yoon Soo-jin|
|My Sweetheart, My Darling||Yoo In-young||KBS1|
|Ballad of Seodong||Princess Seonhwa of Silla||SBS|
|2006||Mr. Goodbye||Choi Young-in||KBS2|
|Queen of the Game||Kang Eun-seol||SBS|
|2010||Becoming a Billionaire||Lee Shin-mi||KBS2|
|Harvest Villa||Yoon Seo-rin||tvN|
|Athena: Goddess of War||Jo Soo-young
(guest appearance, episodes 3-5)
|2011||Hooray for Love||Kang Jae-mi||MBC|
|2012||Man from the Equator||Han Ji-won||KBS2|
|My Daughter Seo-young||Lee Seo-young|
|2013||I Can Hear Your Voice||Jang Hye-sung||SBS|
|2014||God's Gift - 14 Days||Kim Soo-hyun|
|Pinocchio||Hye-sung car navigation
(voice cameo, episode 3)
|2006||A Dirty Carnival||Hyun-joo|
|2008||Once Upon a Time||Haruko / Choon-ja|
|2009||More Than Blue||Eun-won ("Cream")|
|I Am Happy||Soo-kyung|
|2007||She's Olive - Lee Bo-young
from Grasse to Paris
|2013||eat CITY - Lee Bo-young's Italian Cafe|
|Running Man||SBS||guest, episode 142|
|Happy Together||KBS2||guest, episode 275|
|2014||Healing Camp, Aren't You Happy||SBS||guest, episodes 130-131|
|2011||"Crying, Calling"||Zia & 4Men|
Awards and nominations
|2005||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||Ballad of Seodong||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actress||My Sweetheart, My Darling||Won|
|2006||14th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best New Actress||A Dirty Carnival||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars||Queen of the Game||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress||Mr. Goodbye||Nominated|
|2007||3rd Andre Kim Best Star Awards||Female Star Award||N/A||Won|
|2008||44th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2009||4th Andre Kim Best Star Awards||Female Star Award||N/A||Won|
|2010||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Becoming a Billionaire||Nominated|
|2011||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Hooray for Love||Won|
|2012||KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||My Daughter Seo-young,
Man from the Equator
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Man from the Equator||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||My Daughter Seo-young||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award with Lee Sang-yoon||Won|
|2013||49th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Nominated|
|7th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Drama Star - Female||My Daughter Seo-young,
I Can Hear Your Voice
|6th Korea Drama Awards||Daesang (Grand Prize)||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Lee Jong-suk||I Can Hear Your Voice||Won|
|6th Style Icon Awards||Top Ten Style Icons||Nominated|
|2nd APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||My Daughter Seo-young,
I Can Hear Your Voice
|Best Couple Award with Lee Jong-suk||I Can Hear Your Voice||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Daesang (Grand Prize)||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||God's Gift - 14 Days||Nominated|
- "2000 Miss Korea - Lee Bo-young". Miss Korea - Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- "My Daughter Seo-young". The Chosun Ilbo. 13 October 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- "Start off your Sunday Mornings... in a Warm Garden Village". The Dong-a Ilbo. 30 December 2003. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- "Lee Bo-young Tries Her Skills as Sweet Darling". KBS Global. 11 February 2005. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Wee, Geun-woo (24 February 2010). "PREVIEW: KBS TV series The Birth of the Rich". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Yi, Chang-ho (29 January 2008). "Once upon a Time shines bright". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Lee, Hyo-won (13 January 2009). "Kwon Sang-woo Resumes Romantic Role". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Lee, Hyo-won (5 March 2009). "More Than Blue Is Poetic, Luminous". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Lee, Ji-hye (16 November 2009). "Hyun Bin's Happy is unhappy". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Yoon, Hee-seong (5 March 2010). "INTERVIEW: Actress Lee Bo-young". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Jeon, Ji-young (7 May 2012). "Um Tae Woong and Lee Bo Young Begin Romance". KBS Global. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 March 2013). "My Daughter Seo Young Concludes with the Warmth of Family". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Lee, Eun-ah (2 August 2013). "Lee Jong-suk's Voice Closes Curtains Atop TV Charts". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Jang, Seo-yoon (31 May 2013). "Courtroom Drama Meets Fantasy Romance for SBS drama I Can Hear Your Voice". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Yang, Seong-hee; Lee, Sun-min (5 July 2013). "Drama gives Voice to unique storylines". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Lee, Cory (2 January 2014). "Lee Bo-young Grabs 1st Top Prize at the 2013 SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- Park, Sunghee (2 January 2014). "2013 SBS Drama Award, Lee Bo Young, To Win the Grand Award". BNTNews. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- Lee, Cory (9 January 2014). "Lee Bo-young to Make TV Comeback Next Month". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Lee Bo-young to Promote UN Environmental Conference". The Chosun Ilbo. 24 June 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Kim, Tae-gyu (1 July 2011). "Desertification happening just next to us". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Jin, Min-ji (6 June 2015). "Lee Bo-young reviews books". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- Park, So-yeon (18 November 2009). "Ji-sung's girlfriend Lee Bo-young not ready for marriage". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Hong, Lucia (31 May 2012). "Ji Sung, Lee Bo-young deny June wedding rumor". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Sunwoo, Carla (1 June 2012). "Lee Bo-young, Ji Sung agencies dismiss rumors of wedding plans". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- "Celebrity Couple Attend Psy's Concert". The Chosun Ilbo. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- An, So-hyoun (2 August 2013). "Lee Bo Young and Ji Sung to Get Married in September". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Lee, Sun-min (3 August 2013). "A hand-written engagement". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Lee, Eun-ah (2 August 2013). "Lee Bo-young, Ji Sung to Tie the Knot on September 27". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Lee Bo-young, Ji Sung to Wed in September". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Suh, Hye-rim (2 August 2013). "Star couple Lee Bo-young, Ji Sung to wed in September". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (21 September 2013). "Lee Bo Young and Ji Sung Are Happy and in Love in Wedding Shoot". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (24 September 2013). "Lee Bo Young and Ji Sung Invites Wedding Guests to Their Star". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Jeon, Su-mi (27 September 2013). "Lee Bo Young and Ji Sung to Tie the Knot Today (9/27)". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Star couple Lee Bo-young and Ji Sung pose at their wedding at a hotel in Seoul on Friday.". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Lee, Hye-ji (27 September 2013). "Actors Ji Sung, Lee Bo-young Tie the Knot (2)". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Kim, Byung-kwan (27 September 2013). "Ji Sung and Lee Bo Young Tie the Knot". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Sung, So-young (25 November 2014). "Lee Bo-young is 10 weeks pregnant". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-11-26.
- Jin, Min-ji (15 June 2015). "Lee Bo-young has a baby girl". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Lee, Min-ji (10 March 2014). "Male Actors Refused to Act Opposite Lee Bo Young After She Went Public with Ji Sung". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Lee, Jawon (11 March 2014). "Lee Bo Young Affect, Dominating the Rating". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (1 May 2007). "Top Stars Win Andre Kim Awards". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (29 November 2009). "Stars Shine at Andre Kims Atelier". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Im, Woo-jung (3 October 2013). "Lee Bo-young wins 2013 Korea Drama Awards". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Bo-young.|