C. C. Lee
|C. C. Lee|
|Colorado Rockies – No. 21|
October 21, 1986 |
|MLB: July 14, 2013, for the Cleveland Indians|
|NPB: March 26, 2016, for the Saitama Seibu Lions|
|Earned run average||4.50|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||6.48|
|Representing Chinese Taipei|
|2006 Taichung||Team competition|
|2006 Doha||Team competition|
|C. C. Lee|
Lee Chen-ch'ang, (Chinese: 李振昌; pinyin: Lǐ Zhènchāng; Wade–Giles: Li³ Chen⁴-Ch'ang¹; born October 21, 1986) is a Taiwanese professional baseball relief pitcher in the Colorado Rockies organization. He previously played for the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball. He has also played for the Saitama Seibu Lions of Nippon Professional Baseball. Lee throws from a sidearm slot, and his fastball sits at 92–94 MPH and max out at 97 MPH.
Lee began playing baseball while a student at National Pingtung Senior High School. He competed for the Chinese Taipei national baseball team in the 2008 Summer Olympics, and had a 2.00 earned run average (ERA) and 11 strikeouts in two appearances. After appearing in the Olympics, the Cleveland Indians signed him as a free agent.
After joining the Indians organization, Lee competed in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. He began his stateside professional career with the Kinston Indians in 2009, finishing the year with a 4–6 win-loss record and a 3.35 ERA in 45 appearances. He spent 2010 with the Akron Aeros, and had a 4–5 record and a 3.22 ERA in 44 games. The following year, Lee split the season between the Aeros and Columbus Clippers. With the Clippers, he had a 4–0 record and a 2.21 ERA in 25 appearances.
After five games with the Clippers in 2012 and 19 in 2013, Lee was called up by the Cleveland Indians from their Triple-A affiliate Columbus Clippers on July 12, 2013, and became the tenth Taiwanese player to play in the MLB. In his debut on July 14, Lee pitched 1.1 innings in relief of Ubaldo Jimenez, allowing no hits and 1 walk. He was optioned back to Columbus on July 23 and finished the season there, ending it with a 2.37 ERA. Lee started the 2014 season in Columbus, but was brought up to the majors and had several stints with the Indians during the 2014 season.
- Lastoria, Tony (July 18, 2013). "Getting to know your prospects: Chen-Chang Lee". FOX Sports Ohio. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Lin, Hon-hai (12 October 2013). "Strong motivation key to Taiwanese pitcher's MLB success". Central News Agency. Retrieved 12 October 2013. (subscription required)
- "Indians sign RHP Chen-Chang Lee to Minor League free agent contract". Indians.MLB.com. September 16, 2008. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Axisa, Mike (12 July 2013). "The Indians are calling up a pitcher named C.C. Lee – seriously". CBS Sports. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "C.C. Lee Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Massie, Jim (July 12, 2013). "Tribe calls up Lee; options Salazar". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Indians recall RHP CC Lee from AAA Columbus". Indians.MLB.com. August 7, 2014. Retrieved September 7, 2014.