July 4, 1984 |
|Education||Korea National University of Arts - School of Drama|
|Revised Romanization||I Je-hun|
Lee Je-hoon (born July 4, 1984) is a South Korean actor.
When Lee Je-hoon realized that he wanted to go into acting, the Biotechnology major at Korea University dropped out and transferred to the School of Drama at Korea National University of Arts. From 2006 to 2010, Lee appeared in more than 18 student shorts and indie films, notably queer coming-of-age romance Just Friends?. He also appeared as an extra in a number of commercial films, including erotic thriller The Servant and romantic comedy Finding Mr. Destiny.
Then Lee had his breakthrough in 2011. He received critical raves for his performances as a manipulative alpha-male in the haunting indie Bleak Night, and as a morphine-addicted squad leader in big-budget war film The Front Line. He gained mainstream popularity as a shy college student pining for his first love in box-office hit Architecture 101, and though the television series Fashion King was poorly received, his role as a struggling young chaebol heir in Korea's fashion industry further showcased his versatility.
Lee next starred opposite acclaimed veteran actor Han Suk-kyu in the comedy-drama My Paparotti, which focuses on the special relationship between a high school gang member who dreams of becoming a singer like the late tenor Luciano Pavarotti, and the music teacher who helps him pursue his dream. After doing the promotions for Ghost Sweepers, dubbing the character Jack Frost for the Korean release of 3D animated film Rise of the Guardians, then filming My Paparotti and An Ethics Lesson, Lee enlisted on October 25, 2012 for his mandatory military service as a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency riot police. He was discharged on July 24, 2014.
For his comeback project, Lee chose Secret Door, a period drama about Crown Prince Sado who was controversially executed through death by starvation by his father King Yeongjo; the series reunited him with Han Suk-kyu. This will be followed by the Jo Sung-hee-directed film Detective Hong Gil-dong, a modern retelling of the eponymous folk hero as a private detective in the 1990s.
|2006||See You After School||Ahn-kyung|
|Marrying the Mafia III||Mart employee|
|2007||They Live by Night||Private Shin||short film|
|Small Town Rivals||Chun-sam's friend|
|2008||Ah Man||short film|
|Holy Vacation||Kang Young-woon||short film|
|2009||Just Friends?||Seok-i||short film|
|When Winter Comes||short film|
|The Pit and the Pendulum||young Sang-tae|
|The Servant||Hanbok maker|
|Finding Mr. Destiny||Woo-hyung|
|Maldives Express||Eun-seok||short film|
|A Dog Came Into My Flash||Son/Twenty-something man||short film|
|Miss Communication||Male book designer||short film|
|Ghost (Be With Me)||Kim Se-young||segment: "Tarot 3. The Unseen"|
|The Front Line||Captain Shin Il-young|
|2012||Architecture 101||Lee Seung-min in the past|
|Rise of the Guardians||Jack Frost (voice)||animated; Korean dubbed|
|2013||An Ethics Lesson||Kim Jung-hoon|
|My Paparotti||Lee Jang-ho|
|늦은 후...愛||short film (SMPA PSA);
credited as assistant director
|2015||Detective Hong Gil-dong||Hong Gil-dong|
|2010||Three Sisters||Kim Eun-gook||SBS|
|2012||Fashion King||Jung Jae-hyuk||SBS|
|2014||Secret Door||Yi Sun, later Crown Prince Sado||SBS|
|2012||"Love Like This"||Track from Fashion King OST|
|2013||"The Person That Makes You Happy"||Track from My Paparotti OST;
Duet with Han Suk-kyu
Awards and nominations
|2011||20th Buil Film Awards||Best New Actor||The Front Line||Won|
|48th Grand Bell Awards||Best New Actor||Bleak Night||Won|
|The Front Line||Nominated|
|31st Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best New Actor||Won|
|32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actor||Bleak Night||Won|
|19th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||The Front Line||Won|
|2012||3rd KOFRA Film Awards||Best New Actor||Bleak Night||Won|
|48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Architecture 101||Nominated|
|6th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Male Movie Star||Won|
|16th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival||Fantasia Award||Won|
|2014||10th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival||Best Actor in a Music Film||My Paparotti||Won|
|CGV Arthouse Opening Ceremony||Plaque for Rising Star in Independent Film||Bleak Night||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Secret Door||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Park Eun-bin||Nominated|
- "Lee Je-hoon drops out of Korea Uni and joins Korea National University of Arts". Hancinema. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ‘친구사이?’ 김조광수 감독&서지후&이제훈, "밝은 퀴어 영화를 기대해 달라" [Kim Jo Gwang-soo’s second queer film Friends]. Movieweek (in Korean). 8 June 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Lee, Claire (11 June 2012). "Lee Je-hoon evolves". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Beck, Una (3 March 2011). "PREVIEW: Film Bleak Night". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Cho, Jae-eun (25 March 2011). "No easy answers in complex portrait of teen angst". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Young, Neil (15 February 2011). "Bleak Night: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hyo-won (11 July 2011). "Front brings harrowing views of war". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Elley, Derek (27 July 2011). "The Front Line". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kuipers, Richard (23 October 2011). "The Front Line". Variety. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Mi-jung (15 March 2012). "Lee Je Hoon is Doing Three Things at the Same Time". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (9 June 2012). "Interview: Lee Je Hoon Looks Up to His Fellow Actors". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Tae-ho (9 August 2012). "Lee Jae-hoon, Han Suk-kyu to portray student-teacher relationship in new film". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Claire (24 October 2012). "Four local actors voice Hollywood-animated film". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Mi-jung (25 October 2012). "Lee Je Hoon Says He'll Return as a Stronger Actor after He Serves His Duties". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Suk, Monica (21 June 2012). "Lee Je-hoon to serve as riot police during second half of 2012". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Tae-ho (25 July 2012). "Lee Je-hoon to portray police officer in new thriller". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (23 August 2012). "Architecture 101 star Lee Jae-hoon's enlistment date set". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Sun-min (24 July 2014). "Lee Je-hoon completes military duty". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Lee Je-hoon Out of the Military". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- Lee, Sun-young; Chung, Joo-won; Ahn, Sung-mi (16 September 2014). "New TV dramas to look out for". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Kim, Erika (25 July 2014). "Lee Je Hoon to Star in Movie Detective Hong Gil Dong". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Lee, Claire (24 October 2012). "Four local actors voice Hollywood-animated film". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- Ho, Stewart (22 May 2012). "Fashion King's Lee Je Hoon Sings for His Drama OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (20 July 2012). "Min Hyo-rin, Lee Je-hoon at 2012 PiFan opening ceremony". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Lee Je Hoon and Shim Eun Kyung Win Awards at Jecheon International Music and Film Festival". Soompi. 17 August 2014. Retrieved 2015-08-11.