Lee at an autograph event in Gasan-dong, November 2018
|Born||July 4, 1984|
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Korea National University of Arts - School of Drama|
|Revised Romanization||I Je-hun|
Lee Je-hoon (Hangul: 이제훈, born July 4, 1984) is a South Korean actor. He started his career in indie films, then went on to appear in commercial films like The Front Line (2011), Architecture 101 (2012) and My Paparotti (2013), and television series like Fashion King (2012), Secret Door (2014), Signal (2016) Tomorrow, With You (2017) and Where Stars Land (2018).
When Lee Je-hoon realized that he wanted to go into acting, he dropped out of the Biotechnology major at Korea University and transferred to the School of Drama at Korea National University of Arts. From 2006 to 2010, Lee appeared in more than 18 student shorts and indie films, notably the queer coming-of-age romance Just Friends?. He also appeared as an extra in a number of commercial films, including erotic thriller The Servant and romantic comedy Finding Mr. Destiny.
Then Lee had his breakthrough in 2011. He received critical raves for his performances as a manipulative alpha-male in the haunting indie Bleak Night, and as a morphine-addicted squad leader in big-budget war film The Front Line. He gained mainstream popularity as a shy college student pining for his first love in box-office hit Architecture 101, and though the television series Fashion King was poorly received, his role as a struggling young chaebol heir in Korea's fashion industry further showcased his versatility.
Lee next starred opposite acclaimed veteran actor Han Suk-kyu in the comedy-drama My Paparotti, which focuses on the special relationship between a high school gang member who dreams of becoming a singer like the late tenor Luciano Pavarotti, and the music teacher who helps him pursue his dream. He next starred in Ghost Sweepers, dubbed the character Jack Frost for the Korean release of 3D animated film Rise of the Guardians, and featured in the crime thriller An Ethics Lesson.
2014–present: Comeback and success
For his comeback project, Lee chose Secret Door, a period drama about Crown Prince Sado who was controversially executed through death by starvation by his father King Yeongjo; the series reunited him with Han Suk-kyu. This was followed by the Jo Sung-hee-directed film Phantom Detective, a modern retelling of the eponymous folk hero Hong Gil-dong as a private detective in the 1990s.
In 2017, Lee starred in the fantasy romance drama Tomorrow, With You opposite Shin Min-a, portraying a CEO of a real estate company who has the ability to travel through time. He then starred in the biographical period drama film Anarchist from Colony directed by Lee Joon-ik, playing the character of Park Yeol, a self-proclaimed anarchist and revolutionary activist during the Colonial Era of Japan. The same year Lee starred in the film I Can Speak as a civil servant who also tutors English.
In 2018, Lee was cast in the film Hunting Time directed by Yoon Sung-hyun. The same year, he starred in the airport-themed melodrama Where Stars Land alongside Chae Soo-bin. Lee and co-star Chae Soo-bin was also appointed honorary ambassadors of Incheon International Airport.
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Notes|
|2007||They Live by Night||밤은 그들만의 시간||Private Shin||short film|
|Small Town Rivals||이장과 군수||Chun-sam's friend|
|2008||Ah Man||아, 맨||short film|
|Holy Vacation||숭고한 방학||Kang Young-woon||short film|
|2009||Just Friends?||친구사이?||Seok-i||short film|
|When Winter Comes||겨울이 온다||short film|
|The Pit and the Pendulum||약탈자들||young Sang-tae|
|The Servant||방자전||Hanbok maker|
|Finding Mr. Destiny||김종욱 찾기||Woo-hyung|
|Maldives Express||몰디브 환상특급||Eun-seok||short film|
|A Dog Came Into My Flash||나의 플래시 속으로 들어온 개||Son/Twenty-something man||short film|
|Miss Communication||미쓰 커뮤니케이션||Male book designer||short film|
|Ghost (Be With Me)||귀 鬼||Kim Se-young||segment: "Tarot 3. The Unseen"|
|The Front Line||고지전||Captain Shin Il-young|
|2012||Architecture 101||건축학개론||Lee Seung-min in the past|
|Rise of the Guardians||Jack Frost (voice)||animated; Korean dubbed|
|2013||An Ethics Lesson||분노의 윤리학||Kim Jung-hoon|
|My Paparotti||파파로티||Lee Jang-ho|
|늦은 후...愛||short film (SMPA PSA); |
credited as assistant director
|2016||Phantom Detective||탐정 홍길동: 사라진 마을||Hong Gil-dong|
|2017||Anarchist from Colony||박열||Park Yeol|
|I Can Speak||아이 캔 스피크||Park Min-jae|
|2018||Earth: One Amazing Day||지구: 놀라운 하루||Narrator||BBC Documentary|
|Hunting Time||사냥의 시간||Joon-seok|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Network||Notes|
|2010||Three Sisters||세자매||Kim Eun-gook||SBS|||
|2012||Fashion King||패션왕||Jung Jae-hyuk|
|2014||Secret Door||비밀의 문||Yi Sun, later Crown Prince Sado|
|2017||Tomorrow, With You||내일 그대와||Yoo So-joon|
|2018||Where Stars Land||여우각시별||Lee Soo-yeon||SBS|
|2012||"Love Like This"||Track from Fashion King OST|
|2013||"The Person That Makes You Happy"||Track from My Paparotti OST; |
Duet with Han Suk-kyu
- 2016 Honorary Ambassador of Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA) by Korean Film Council
- 2016 Honorary Ambassador of Korea National Police Agency's Human Rights
- 2016 Honorary Ambassador of Oxfam Korea
- 2017 Honorary Ambassador of Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism.
Awards and nominations
|2011||20th Buil Film Awards||Best Dressed||N/A||Won|||
|Best New Actor||The Front Line||Won|
|31st Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Won|||
|48th Grand Bell Awards||Nominated|
|Cine 21 Awards||Won|||
|32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Won|||
|19th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Won|||
|2012||3rd KOFRA Film Awards||Best New Actor||Won|||
|6th Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||The Front Line||Nominated|
|48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Architecture 101||Nominated|
|6th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Male Movie Star||Won|||
|16th Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival||Fantasia Award||Won|||
|2014||10th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival||Best Actor in a Music Film||My Paparotti||Won|||
|CGV Arthouse Opening Ceremony||Plaque for Rising Star in Independent Film||Bleak Night||Won|||
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Secret Door||Won|||
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2016||tvN10 Awards||Best Actor||Signal||Nominated|
|PD's Choice Award, Drama||Won|||
|1st Asia Artist Awards||Best Celebrity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|The Korea Film Actors Association||Popular Star Award||Phantom Detective||Won|||
|KAFA 10th Anniversary Award||Actor Special Merit Award||Bleak Night||Won|||
|2017||26th Buil Film Awards||Best Actor||Anarchist from Colony||Nominated|
|54th Grand Bell Awards||Nominated|
|5th BIFF with Marie Claire Asia Star Awards||Asia Star Award||Won|||
|17th Korea World Youth Film Festival||Favorite Film Actor||Won|||
|20th Amnesty International Awards||Special Prize||I Can Speak||Won|||
|2018||38th Golden Cinema Film Festival||Popularity Award, Actor||Won|||
|1st Resistance Film Festival in Korea||Best Actor||Anarchist from Colony , I Can Speak||Won|||
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Monday-Tuesday Drama||Where Stars Land||Won|||
- "Lee Je-hoon drops out of Korea Uni and joins Korea National University of Arts". Hancinema. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "[스타 탐구 생활] "짧지만 강렬해" 작은 영화 속 이제훈 찾기". WowTV (in Korean). 6 April 2016.
- "조인성의 마스크에 박해일의 눈빛을 지닌 신인 배우 이제훈". Segye (in Korean). 9 December 2009.
- ‘친구사이?’ 김조광수 감독&서지후&이제훈, "밝은 퀴어 영화를 기대해 달라" [Kim Jo Gwang-soo’s second queer film Friends]. Movieweek (in Korean). 8 June 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "이제훈 신분상승, 방자전 조여정 옷시중 들다 이젠 '재벌2세' "대박"". TV Report (in Korean). 26 March 2012.
- "이제훈 영화 <김종욱 찾기> 캐스팅". Seoul Culture Today (in Korean). 5 June 2010.
- Beck, Una (3 March 2011). "PREVIEW: Film Bleak Night". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Cho, Jae-eun (25 March 2011). "No easy answers in complex portrait of teen angst". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Young, Neil (15 February 2011). "Bleak Night: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hyo-won (11 July 2011). "Front brings harrowing views of war". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Elley, Derek (27 July 2011). "The Front Line". Film Business Asia. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kuipers, Richard (23 October 2011). "The Front Line". Variety. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Claire (11 June 2012). "Lee Je-hoon evolves". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Mi-jung (15 March 2012). "Lee Je Hoon is Doing Three Things at the Same Time". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (9 June 2012). "Interview: Lee Je Hoon Looks Up to His Fellow Actors". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Tae-ho (9 August 2012). "Lee Jae-hoon, Han Suk-kyu to portray student-teacher relationship in new film". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Lee Je-hoon's New Film to Open in March". 10Asia. 1 February 2013.
- ""Fortune Tellers" cast members foretell the film's success at press conference". 10Asia. 29 August 2012.
- Lee, Claire (24 October 2012). "Four local actors voice Hollywood-animated film". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Tae-ho (25 July 2012). "Lee Je-hoon to portray police officer in new thriller". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Lee to start for military service Oct. 25". The Korea Herald. 23 August 2012.
- "Lee Je-hoon to work for Police's PR division". Korea JoongAng Daily. 24 August 2012.
- Lee, Sun-min (24 July 2014). "Lee Je-hoon completes military duty". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Lee Je-hoon Out of the Military". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Lee Je-hoon returns with "Secret Door"". Hancinema. 4 August 2018.
- Lee, Sun-young; Chung, Joo-won; Ahn, Sung-mi (16 September 2014). "New TV dramas to look out for". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Kim, June (6 January 2015). "Hong Gil-dong to be Made into a Film". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- Radwa Ashraf (9 December 2015). ""Signal": a paranormal cop drama debuts in 2016". The Asian. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "'Signal' stars maintaining the momentum". Korea JoongAng Daily. 15 March 2016.
- "Shin Min-a, Lee Je-hoon join new tvN drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 August 2016.
- Park Jin-hai (23 January 2017). ""Tomorrow with You" revolves around secret time traveller". The Korea Times.
- "Lee Je-hoon's radical transformation in historical film". The Korea Herald. 25 April 2017.
- "[Herald Interview] What it was like to be 'the most unruly Korean': Lee Je-hoon". The Korea Herald. 18 June 2016.
- "Lee Je-hoon cast as English tutor in new film". The Korea Herald. 20 March 2017. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "YOON Sung-hyun's HUNTING TIME Locks Down Cast". Korean Film Biz Zone. 23 November 2017.
- "[공식입장] 이제훈, '여우각시별' 출연 확정…1년 반만에 드라마". Xports News (in Korean). 15 June 2018.
- "Let's fly together". Korea JoongAng Daily. 1 February 2019.
- "'트래블러' 측 "이제훈 출연 확정, 2019년 상반기 방송" [공식입장]". Sports Donga (in Korean). 18 December 2018.
- "'인플루언스' 이병헌에 대적할 신예 떴다". TV Daily (in Korean). 6 April 2010.
- "'파파로티' 이제훈 군복무 중 깜짝 영화제작". Epoch Times (in Korean). 10 March 2013.
- "이제훈, '지구: 놀라운 하루' 국내판 내레이션 낙점". Osen (in Korean). 16 January 2018.
- "'세자매' 막내 이제훈, 알고보니 충무로 샛별로 뜨고 있네". Newsen (in Korean). 22 April 2010.
- Ho, Stewart (22 May 2012). "Fashion King's Lee Je Hoon Sings for His Drama OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Actors made honorary KAFA ambassadors". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 August 2016.
- "Lee Je Hoon appointed as National Police Agency's Human Rights Ambassador". Yahoo News. Star News. 22 April 2016.
- "Lee Je-hoon collaborates with Oxfam for refugees in Africa". Kpop Herald. 15 March 2016.
- "Lee Je-hoon named biennale ambassador". Korea JoongAng Daily. 3 August 2017.
- "부일영화상 '고지전' 최우수작품상 등 5관왕[TVu]". Busan News (in Korean). 8 October 2011.
- "The Front Line wins big at Korean Critics Awards". Korean Film Biz Zone. 14 November 2011.
- "Kim Ha-neul, Park Hae-il get top honors at Daejong Film Awards". The Korea Herald. 18 October 2011.
- "Cine 21 Awards 2011". Cine 21. 3 January 2012.
- "'The Unjust' best picture at Blue Dragon Awards". The Korea Herald. 27 November 2011.
- "So Ji-sub, Park Hae-il, Lee Tae-gon win top prize at culture and entertainment ceremony". 10Asia. 16 December 2011.
- "영화기자협회, 2011년 최고의 영화 '도가니' 선정". Busan News (in Korean). 1 February 2012.
- "Winners announced at 6th Mnet 20's Choice Awards". Asiae. 29 June 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (20 July 2012). "Min Hyo-rin, Lee Je-hoon at 2012 PiFan opening ceremony". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "전역 3주차 이제훈, 심은경과 함께 제천국제음악영화제 음악영화 배우상 수상". Sports Khan (in Korean). 18 August 2014.
- "이제훈, CGV아트하우스 독립영화 라이징스타 감사패 수상". Asia Today (in Korean). 31 December 2014.
- "'SBS 연기대상' 이제훈, 2관왕 등극…2015년 활약 기대". TV Report (in Korean). 1 January 2015.
- "tvN10 Awards' full list of winners". Kpop Herald. 10 October 2016.
- "Actors Gong Hyo-jin, Cho Jung-seok, Cho Jin-woong win top star award". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "이병헌부터 신민아까지, KAFA 트로피 받은 충무로 '연기요정7'". Osen (in Korean). 4 September 2016.
- "BIFF Asian Star Awards 2017". Marie Clarie Korea (in Korean). October 2017.
- "전국 청소년이 뽑은 인기 영화인은?". Naver (in Korean). News1. 7 October 2017.
- "제20회 국제앰네스티 언론상 시상식". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). 5 December 2017.
- "이제훈, 제38회 황금촬영상 '남자 인기상' 수상 "뜻 깊은 상"". Sports Chosun (in Korean). 7 December 2018.
- "이제훈·최희서 등 2018레지스탕스영화제 수상". Naver (in Korean). 4 September 2018.
- "[SBS 연기대상] 감우성·김선아, 공동 대상..베스트 커플상까지(종합)". News1 (in Korean). 1 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Je-hoon.|
- Lee Je-hoon at Saram Entertainment