Sunmi going to a Music Bank recording in July 2016
May 2, 1992
Iksan, North Jeolla, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||I Seon-mi|
Lee Sun-mi (born May 2, 1992), better known mononymously Sunmi or Mimi, is a South Korean singer. She was best known as a member of the South Korean girl group Wonder Girls. In August 2013, Sunmi made her debut as a solo artist with the digital single "24 Hours". She subsequently released her debut extended play Full Moon in 2014.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 CF / Advertisements
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Sunmi was born on May 2, 1992 in Iksan, North Jeolla, South Korea. She attended Hwangnam Elementary School, Chung Dam Middle School and Chung Dam High School and currently attends Dongguk University, majoring in musical theater.
2006–2009: Career beginnings with the Wonder Girls
In May 2006, Sunmi was revealed as a 4th member of Wonder Girls, a girl group managed by JYP Entertainment. The group debuted with the single "Irony", officially debuted on MBC's Show! Music Core on February 10, 2007. The group quickly rose to stardom with their hits "Tell Me", "So Hot" and "Nobody" in less than 2 years from their debut.
In January 2010, JYP announced that Sunmi would be postponing her musical career to pursue her academic career, but she will continue until February in order to complete scheduled events.
On January 13, 2012, a JYP representative stated: "Sunmi has remained within the company and continues to sharpen her musical talents." JYP Entertainment later stated that there are no plans for Sunmi to return and comeback as a member of the Wonder Girls.
2013–2014: Solo debut with 24 Hours and Full Moon
In August 2013, Sunmi was announced would return to her music career, debuting as a solo artist. Sunmi made her official solo debut stage on August 22 on Mnet's M! Countdown. Her debut single "24 Hours" was released on August 26, 2013. The single also ranked at #1 on major online music services in South Korea.
Subsequently, her debut extended play Full Moon was released on February 17, 2014. The title track of the same, featuring former JYP trainee Lena Park, peaked at number two on the Gaon Digital Chart and at number three on Billboard's K-pop Hot 100.
2015–2017: Return to the Wonder Girls and departure from JYP Entertainment
On June 24, 2015 JYP Entertainment announced that Sunmi would be re-joining Wonder Girls, after withdrawing in 2010, for their comeback after the group's two-year hiatus. The group returned with a band concept. In August, the group's album REBOOT was released, with Sunmi co-writing and co-producing three of its tracks.
In 2016, Sunmi once again received songwriting and producing credits for a Wonder Girls release, this time for two songs present on the band's EP single Why So Lonely, including the title track of the same name.
On January 26, 2017, it was announced that Wonder Girls were to disband after unsuccessful contract renewal negotiation with member Yeeun and Sunmi herself. The group released their final single "Draw Me" on February 10; it also serves as a celebration for their 10th anniversary since debut.
2017–present: Return to solo career under MakeUs Entertainment
On March 14, 2017, it was announced that Sunmi had signed with MakeUs Entertainment around the end of February. Home to singers like Park Won and Urban Zakapa, Sunmi commented, “At my new agency, I will work hard on my music and show everyone a new side of myself. Ahead of that, I would like to thank my previous agency, fans, and acquaintances for their support.”
- Full Moon (2014)
|As lead artist|
|"Full Moon" (feat. Lena)||2014||2||3||
|As featured artist|
|"You" (B1A4 featuring Sunmi)||2014||63||91||N/A||Solo Day|
|Other charted songs|
|"Who Am I" (feat. Yubin of Wonder Girls)||112||—|
|"Stopped Time" (feat. Jackson of Got7)||100||—|
|"If That Was You"||118||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
Songwriting and composing credits
||Wonder Girls||"Rewind"||Yes||Ju Hyo, Lee Toyo and Kim Yubin||Yes||Ju Hyo and Lee Toyo|
|"Back"||Yes||Woo Hyerim and Kim Yubin||Yes||Woo Hyerim and Kim Yubin|
|"Faded Love"||Yes||Shim Eun-ji||Yes||Shim Eun-ji|
||"Why So Lonely"||Yes||Woo Hyerim, Kim Yubin and Hong Ji-sang||Yes||Woo Hyerim, Kim Yubin and Hong Ji-sang|
|"To The Beautiful You"||Yes||Kim Yubin, Woo Hyerim and Frants||Yes||Kim Yubin, Woo Hyerim and Frants|
Television/variety show appearances
|2014||Fashion King Korea||SBS||
|Cast, Season 2|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Best Female Artist||N/A||Nominated|
|Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Dance Performance (Female Solo)||
|BC, UnionPay Song of the Year||Nominated|
23rd Seoul Music Awards
|Best Female Artist||N/A||Nominated|
|Best Dance Performance - Solo||
"Full Moon" (feat. Lena)
|UnionPay Song of the Year||Nominated|
|UnionPay Artist of the Year||N/A||Nominated|
SBS MTV Best of the Best
|Best Female Solo||Nominated|
24th Seoul Music Awards
"Full Moon" (feat. Lena)
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
|Artist of the Year (song) (February)||Nominated|
|2014||March 2||"보름달 (Full Moon)"|
CF / Advertisements
- Her stepfather's family name is Lee. Originally, her family name is Sun.
- Former Wonder Girls member Sunmi currently a JYPE trainee. allkpop. January 13, 2012.
- Sunmi to debut as a solo artist under JYP Entertainment. allkpop. August 5, 2013.
- Sunmi Says “24 Hours” Are Not Enough Through Solo Debut Music Video. soompi. August 20, 2013.
- Sunmi’s Debut Is a Success as “24 Hours” Tops Charts. soompi. August 27, 2013
- "2014년 09주차 Digital Chart". Gaon (in Korean). Archived from the original on February 9, 2015. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100 Week of March 8, 2014". Billboard. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Ho-jung, Won (24 June 2015). "Wonder Girls confirmed to return as band". Kpop Herald. The Korean Herald. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "After nearly ten years, Wonder Girls disband". Korea JoongAng Daily. 2017-01-27. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Cover image for final single features Wonder Girls in watercolors". K-Pop Herald. 2017-02-09. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Gaon Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) Nominees has been Announced...Let the Voting Begin!". KpopStarz. October 30, 2013.
- "List of Idols nominated in 23rd Seoul Music Award Jan 23rd 2014". onehallyu!. November 30, 2013.
- Sunmi raises a cute virtual dragon in her latest CF for 'Dragon Friends'.allkpop. August 21, 2013 - 3:13 pm.