Taemin at a showcase for Press It in Taiwan in May 2016
July 18, 1993
Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||I Tae-min|
Lee Tae-min (born ), better known by the mononym Taemin, is a South Korean singer and actor. He debuted as a vocalist and main dancer of the group Shinee in May 2008. He began his acting career in 2009 with MBC's comedy Tae Hee, Hye Kyo, Ji Hyun as Junsu.July 18, 1993
Taemin made his solo debut with his first EP titled Ace on August 18, 2014 with title track "Danger". On February 23, 2016, Taemin released his first studio album Press it with title track "Press Your Number". On July 27, 2016, Taemin made his solo debut in Japan with his first EP titled Solitary Goodbye.
2008–13: Shinee and Solo activities
In 2008, Taemin was chosen as a member of Shinee. The group official debuted on May 25, 2008, in the program SBS's Inkigayo. Additionally to his work as a singer, Taemin made his acting debut in 2009 in MBC's comedy "Tae Hee, Hye Kyo, Ji Hyun" as Junsu. Years later in January 2012, stepping into the field of voice-over for the first time, Taemin took part as a voice actor for the Korean animated movie called The Outback as the main character, Johnny, a white koala turned hero, along with fellow labelmate, Girls' Generation's Sunny.
On September 19, 2012, Taemin released his first OST, "U", for the drama To The Beautiful You. On October 16, 2012 it was announced that Taemin, alongside Super Junior's Eunhyuk and Super Junior-M's Henry, Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon, and EXO's Kai and Luhan would participate as a 6-member dance team for the Veloster theme song, "Maxstep", the collaboration album between S.M. Entertainment and Hyundai. A video teaser of the song shown at the PYL Younique Show on October 17, 2012.
In April 2013, S.M. Entertainment revealed that Taemin would be taking part in the reality variety show "We Got Married" with Son Na-eun as his partner, replacing the previous couple Kwanghee and Sunhwa. In the same year, Taemin made three episode appearance on the drama Dating Agency: Cyrano as idol singer Ray/Yang Ho-yeol. In June 2013, he featured in Super Junior-M's Henry solo song "Trap" alongside Super Junior's Kyuhyun. In December of that year, he participated in the soundtrack of the series Prime Minister and I, "Footsteps," the first track to be previewed on the series at the end of its third episode, was composed and arranged by Kim Jung-bae with the vocals by himself.
2014–present: Solo debut
On August 18, 2014, Taemin made his solo debut and released his first mini album Ace, which contains six songs. The music video for the title song, "Danger", was released on August 16. The choreography for "Danger" was created by American choreographer Ian Eastwood and SM's performance directing team BeatBurger. Taemin headed to a dance studio in L.A. in order to learn the performance.
On February 3, 2015, Taemin was confirmed for the cast of the first season of Match Made in Heaven Returns. On April 14, 2015, Taemin was also a cast member in JTBC's program Off to School alongside other celebrities. On June 1, 2015, he released the song "That Name" in collaboration with Jonghyun, for the soundtrack of KBS2's Who Are You: School 2015. The song debuted at number 36 on the Gaon Digital Chart.
Taemin released his first full album Press it on February 23, 2016, containing a total of ten songs, including the title track "Press Your Number". Bruno Mars, who is well known for hit songs "Treasure" and "Marry You", participated in producing the song, which starts at a slow tempo and forwards to fast electronic rhythm. Taemin told reporters at a media showcase hosted by fellow Shinee member Minho at the SMTOWN Coex Artium in Gangnam-gu, Seoul: "After my EP, I did perform with SHINee but I also spent a lot of time preparing my next solo album, [...] I took a lot of private lessons for voice and dance, and looked over my past songs. I want to say that I’ve become a stronger performer."
On 23 June 2016, Taemin's Japanese debut was announced with the mini album Solitary Goodbye (さよならひとり) including a showcase on his 23rd birthday. The album was released on July 27. The album includes four new songs and a Japanese version of "Press Your Number". In June 2016, Taemin was confirmed for the cast of Mnet's dance program Hit the Stage. He performed together with his dance partner Koharu Sugawara, who is the choreographer of his Japanese debut song "Solitary Goodbye". He took first place in the second episode.
In March 2011, he transferred to Hanlim Multi Art School from his previous school, Chungdam High School to accommodate his hectic schedule for Shinee’s Japanese advancement. He graduated in February 2012, but was unable to make it to the ceremony due to his groups activities. He is currently majoring in Musical and Film at Myongji University.
- Press It (2016)
|2012||The Outback||Johnny (voice-actor)||Korean version|
|I AM.||Himself||Documentary of SM Town.|
|2013||The Miracle||Kim Tan||Short film|
|2015||SMTOWN The Stage||Himself||Documentary of SM Town.|
|2009||Tae Hee, Hye Kyo, Ji Hyun||Junsu|
|2010||Athena: Goddess of War||Himself|
|2011||Moon Night '90||Kim Sung Jae|
|High Kick! 3||Himself|
|2012||Salamander Guru and The Shadows||Master of Disguise|
|2013||Dating Agency: Cyrano||Ray/Yang Ho-Yeol|
|2010||Dream Team||Main cast|
|2013-2014||We Got Married||with Son Na-eun|
|2015||Match Made in Heaven Returns||Main cast|
|Off to School||Main cast|
|2016||Hit the Stage||Contestant|
Music video appearances
|2013||Geuleon Neo (Disturbance)||BoA|
|2014||Goong||Prince Lee Shin||Main Role|
- List of awards and nominations received by Lee Tae-min
- List of awards and nominations received by Shinee
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 67. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "샤이니 태민, '태혜지'로 첫 연기 도전". Asiae Korean News (in Korean). Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- Ji-young, Sohn (2014-08-11). "Taemin of SHINee to release first solo album". Kpop Herald. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Kim, Soo-hyang (2016-02-22). "Taemin to release 'Press It'". Kpop Herald. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- digital, news (2008-08-20). "SM 대형 신인 '샤이니' 25일 '인기가요' 통해 데뷔".
- "<코알라 키드: 영웅의 탄생>에 목소리 출연한 태민과 써니" (in Korean). Cine21.com. January 10, 2012. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- digital, news (2012-09-11). "태민 '너란말야' OST 로 '아그대' 참여...감미로운 목소리 주목". Xportsnews. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Taemin to participate in the PYL Younique album". thestar.chosun.com. October 16, 2012. Retrieved October 20, 2012.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (April 13, 2013). "SHINee's Taemin and A Pink's Son Na Eun Get ′Married′". enewsWorld. Mwave. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (June 3, 2013). "SHINee's Taemin to Make his Appearance on Dating Agency Cyrano on 6/3". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Lee, Nancy (May 31, 2013). "SM Releases Henry 『Trap』 Teaser Feat. Super Junior's Kyuhyun and SHINee's Taemin". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (18 December 2013). "SHINee's Taemin Sings for Prime Minister and I OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Kim, Hyung Woo (2014-08-19). "SHINee Taemin's 'Danger' MV Ranks No. 1 in China". Mwave via Newsen. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "'천생연분 리턴즈' 타쿠야, 1기 최고 매력남 등극" (in Korean). TVReport. 25 March 2015.
- Grace Danbi Hong (June 1, 2015). "SHINee′s Jonghyun and Taemin Sing Duet for ′Who Are You - School 2015′". Mwave. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Gaon Digital Ranking Weekly (31/5/2015-6/6/2015) - see #36" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on June 14, 2015.
- Won, Ho-jung (2016-02-22). "Taemin back with stylish sounds". Korea Herald. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "SHINeeテミン、7・27日本ソロデビュー". Oricon. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Kim Jae-heun (July 26, 2016). "'Hit the Stage' is an idol dance battle". Korea Times. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "샤이니 태민, 일본 솔로 데뷔곡 한국어 버전 'Goodbye' 3일 공개". Naver. August 1, 2016. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- Choi Hyung-won (August 4, 2016). "SHINee's Taemin wins first in 'Hit the Stage'". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- "Taemin transfers to an arts high school due to his busy schedule". news.nate.com. 2011-03-02. Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- "Taemin to miss his graduation". news.nate.com. 2012-02-02. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "Myongji Univ | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Lee, Edmund (November 24, 2015). "Film review: SMTown: The Stage". South China Morning Post. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Tae-min.|