Lee Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Lee Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Location of Lee Township in Athens County
|• Total||25.3 sq mi (65.5 km2)|
|• Land||24.9 sq mi (64.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||110/sq mi (42.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085755|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Waterloo Township - north
- Athens Township - northeast corner
- Alexander Township - east
- Scipio Township, Meigs County - southeast corner
- Columbia Township, Meigs County - south
- Knox Township, Vinton County - west
Most of the village of Albany is located in southeastern Lee Township.
Name and history
Lee Township was organized in 1819.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lee township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Walker, Charles Manning (1869). History of Athens County, Ohio, And, Incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta. Robert Clarke & Company. p. 472.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.