Leeds Grand Mosque
|Leeds Grand Mosque|
Leeds Grand Mosque (LGM) is a mosque in Leeds with a regular congregation of 1,200. It is located at 9 Woodsley Road, Hyde Park, Leeds, LS6 1SN West Yorkshire, England. The mosque has a diverse and ethnically mixed congregation with facilities for both male and female worshippers. The Friday prayer sermon is also delivered in English also alongside the Arabic.
It was originally Sacred Heart Church designed by Derek Walker, completed in 1965 and described as "One of the most striking churches to be built in the 1960s". The design is Brutalist based on a concrete frame clad with pre-cast panels of Cornish granite aggregate. It closed in 1993 and was sold and converted in 1994, with funding from Saif Bin Muhammad Al-Nehayyan of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The chancel was converted into a smaller worship hall used on weekdays, and a women's gallery was constructed at the rear of the main hall, later augmented by converting the choir gallery into a second women's gallery. The stained glass window and Christian symbols were removed, and facilities for wudu installed.
The main hall provides a large open space which is used as the main prayer area for men.
In 2013 a storm lifted part of the roof off, resulting in extensive rain damage.
- Male prayer hall
- Female prayer hall
- Lecture room
- Basement – used for multiple activities
- Catering kitchen
- Management office, storage rooms, and washing facilities for both males and females
- Fenced car park for 20 cars
- Gardens around the mosque
- Linked house, rented as a source of income
- "Welcome to Leeds Grand Mosque". www.leedsgrandmosque.com. Leeds Grand Mosque. 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- The Times, 24 August 2002 Archived 21 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine"At your service" by Daniel Crewe
- "Our Team". www.leedsgrandmosque.com. Leeds Grand Mosque. 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- www.cycscouts.org.uk Archived 2008-12-03 at the Wayback Machine 1st Muslim Scout Group Launches
- Yorkshire Evening Post 5 December 2006 "City gets its first Muslim Scouts"
- John Minnis & Trevor Mitchell (2007) Religion and Place in Leeds (English Heritage) ISBN 978-1-905624-48-5
- History of Leeds Grand Mosque Archived 2011-07-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Yorkshire Evening Post 7 December 2013 "SOS call at Leeds mosque left exposed by freak storm"