The Lefevre Peninsula is on the west side of the Port River
The Lefevre Peninsula is a peninsula located in the Australian state of South Australia located about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of the Adelaide city centre. It is a narrow sand spit of about 30 square kilometres running north from its connection to the mainland.
Location and extent
Lefevre Peninsula located on the east coast of Gulf St Vincent about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north-west of the Adelaide city centre. The peninsula is bounded to the west by Gulf St Vincent and to the north and the east by the Port River. The southern boundary of the “topographical peninsula” has been determined by the Surveyor General of South Australia as being Recreation Road in the suburb of Semaphore Park as “an examination of old plans indicate that boats could have navigated the Port Adelaide River to approximately this point.”
The western, Gulf St Vincent, coast of the peninsula consists of a continuous stretch of fine, white sand beaches. The eastern side is defined and separated from the mainland by the Barker Inlet and Port River. Torrens Island lies nearby to the east. To the east of the base of the peninsula is the suburb of Port Adelaide. Much of the peninsula has been developed, with residential areas extending inland from the western beaches, and heavy industries concentrated along the Port River waterfront on its eastern shore.
The peninsula has strong maritime associations due to its proximity to Port Adelaide, the Port River and Outer Harbor. Collins class submarines were built at the suburb of Osborne. Cement production also occurs on the peninsula at Birkenhead. In 1999, the Pelican Point Power Station was established at the northeastern tip of the peninsula adjacent to the Port River.
Lefevre Peninsula also contains several sailing clubs and golf clubs and the popular Semaphore Road foreshore. The Outer Harbor railway line runs through the peninsula from Ethelton to Outer Harbor.
European settlement commenced in the early 1840s. Before it was developed, much of the coastline was covered with mangroves. The land was extensively covered with bush, with such plants as wattle, sheoak and other native species. The peninsula now has a wind swept feel due to the clearance of these plants.
The Lefevre Peninsula is located within the local government area of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, the state electoral districts of Lee and Port Adelaide and federal divisions of Hindmarsh and Port Adelaide.
The following suburbs are located on the Lefevre Peninsula: Birkenhead, Ethelton, Exeter, Glanville, Largs Bay, Largs North, New Port, North Haven, Osborne, Outer Harbor, Peterhead, Semaphore, the northern end of Semaphore Park, Semaphore South and Taperoo.
- "Search result for "Lefevre Peninsula, PEN" with the following datasets selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Gazetteer"". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian government. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Bowman, G. & Harvey, N. (1986): Geomorphic Evolution of a Holocene Beach-Ridge Complex, LeFevre Peninsula, South Australia. Journal of Coastal Research 2(3):345-362
- Pelican Point Power Station, International Power plc Australia, 2007.
- "Lefevre Peninsula, Nomenclature". Place Names of South Australia. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Couper-Smartt, John; Courtney, Christine; South Australian Maritime Museum. Friends (2003), Port Adelaide : tales from a "commodious harbour", Friends of the South Australian Maritime Museum, p. 171, ISBN 978-0-646-42058-5
- Couper-Smartt, John; Courtney, Christine; South Australian Maritime Museum. Friends (2003), Port Adelaide : tales from a "commodious harbour", Friends of the South Australian Maritime Museum, p. 23, ISBN 978-0-646-42058-5
- "Federal electoral division of Hindmarsh, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Federal electoral division of Port Adelaide" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "District of Lee Background Profile". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Port Adelaide electorate boundaries as of 2014". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lefevre Peninsula.|