|Single by YG featuring DJ Mustard|
|from the album My Krazy Life|
|Released||December 10, 2013|
|YG singles chronology|
|DJ Mustard singles chronology|
"Left, Right" is a song by American hip hop recording artist YG, released on December 10, 2013 as the second single from his debut studio album My Krazy Life (2014). The song was produced by and features vocals from frequent collaborator DJ Mustard. It received positive reviews from critics. "Left, Right" peaked at number 44 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. A music video for the single, directed by Alex Nazari and YG, features a house party in Compton that's filled with cameos from Los Angeles rappers.
"Left, Right" was premiered on November 28, 2013 via Young Jeezy's #ItsThaWorld2 mixtape. It was official released for digital download on December 10, 2013 as the second single from his debut studio album My Krazy Life.
"Left, Right" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. Jordan Sowunmi of Now called it a "hedonistic jam sprinkled with distinctive California cultural markers." Dorian Mendoza of PrettyMuchAmazing said the song "can make every club in the nation shake." Jesse Fairfax of HipHopDX said the song is "sure to please his flesh chasing peer group entering early adulthood." Jesal 'Jay Soul' Padania of RapReviews compared the song's sound to executive producer Young Jeezy's debut album Let's Get It: Thug Motivation 101. Michael Madden of Consequence of Sound stated that the song was very sex related, but engaging nonetheless.
The majority of the music video for "Left, Right" was filmed on December 23, 2013 around Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles located on 5006 W Pico Blvd in Los Angeles and was directed by Alex Nazari and YG. A week later a teaser for the music video was released. Then on January 29, 2014, the music video was released for the song. In the video YG and DJ Mustard throw a block party in Compton, California. It is reminiscent of the Compton party scenes seen in the classic hip hop videos Dr. Dre's "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang" and Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice". YG spends most of the video standing on the roof of Roscoe's similar to how Snoop did when he burst on to the scene with the "Who Am I? (What's My Name?)" music video." The video includes women twerking throughout and at one point an implied dog fight. Cameo appearances in the video come from rappers Young Jeezy, Nipsey Hussle and Dom Kennedy.
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||44|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Young Jeezy & CTE – It's Tha World 2". Hiphopwired.com. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "iTunes - Music - Left, Right (feat. DJ Mustard) - Single by YG". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-12-10. Archived from the original on 2014-02-09. Retrieved 2014-01-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "YG ft. DJ Mustard – "Left, Right"". Hiphopwired.com. 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Sowunmi, Jordan. "YG | NOW Magazine". Nowtoronto.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- Fairfax, Jesse (2014-03-17). "YG - My Krazy Life | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- Madden, Michael (2014-03-19). "Album Review: YG – My Krazy Life". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Behind The Scenes Of YG's "Left, Right" Video [PHOTOS". Hip-Hop Wired. 2013-12-24. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Behind The Scenes: YG 'Left Right' Video". Vibe. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "YG and DJ Mustard's 'Left, Right' Video Is an Ode to the Hood, Booty « Radio.com News". News.radio.com. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "YG f/ DJ Mustard "Left, Right" Video". Complex. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Estevez, Marjua (2014-01-29). "YG And DJ Mustard Throw A Party In "Left, Right" Video - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "YG Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – YG – Left, Right". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.