Left Democratic Front (Kerala)
Left Democratic Front (LDF) is a coalition of left leaning political parties in the state of Kerala, in India. It is one of the two major political coalitions in Kerala, the other being the United Democratic Front each of which have been in power alternatively for the last two decades. LDF is the coalition that is now in opposition. The coalition consists of Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)), CPI, and others.
In the legislative assembly of 2006-'11 LDF controlled a majority of 99 seats (out of a total of 140 seats) in the state legislative assembly. After 2006 Assembly Election, veteran CPI(M) leader V.S. Achuthanandan led the LDF government in Kerala.
Left Democratic Front (LDF) launched its website ahead of Kerala assembly election 2011.
The Kerala State legislative assembly election, 2011 saw a tight contest  between the two coalitions. After the polls, the LDF came close second to the UDF by winning 68 out of the 140 seats. V.S. Achuthanandan was elected the leader of the opposition  in the Kerala Legislative Assembly.
Current strength in Legislative Assembly
Members of LDF and their representation in Kerala Legislative Assembly after 2011 election are as follows:
- Communist Party of India (Marxist) - 44
- Communist Party of India - 13
- Janata Dal (Secular) - 4
- Nationalist Congress Party - 2
- Kerala Congress (Skaria Thomas) - 0
- Indian Congress (Socialist) - 0
- Indian national league(INL) - 0
- LDF Supported Independents - 2
LDF has eight subcommittees:
- Youth & Sports
On October 2, 2009, more than 30 lakh activists of Communist Party of India (Marxist) formed a 500 km long human chain to protest the free trade agreement signed between India and Association of South East Asian Nations.
On December 7, 2011, the Left Democratic Front organized a 208 km human wall demanding the construction of a new dam in place of the present 115 year leaky dam at Mullapperiyar. The human wall was the second longest of the kind in Kerala which stretched across two districts.
- Nair, N.J. (2011-03-18). "Assembly polls log on to cyberspace". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Sreejan, B. (2011-05-10). "Kerala exit polls today, close contest predicted". The Express News Service. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "Achuthanandan elected leader of CPI-M; will head LDF opposition in Kerala". rediffnews. 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "208-km human chain formed for new Kerala dam". Hindustan Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Left Democratic Front (Kerala).|