Left Party (France)
Parti de Gauche
|Coordinators||Eric Coquerel & Danielle Simonnet|
|Founded||February 1, 2009|
|Split from||Socialist Party|
|Headquarters||20-22 rue Doudeauville, 75018 Paris|
|National affiliation||Left Front|
|European affiliation||Party of the European Left|
|European Parliament group||European United Left-Nordic Green Left|
|Politics of France
It was founded in November 2008 by former socialist senator Jean-Luc Mélenchon and deputy Marc Dolez and others dissidents of the party together with the MARS movement (Mouvement pour une Alternative Républicaine et Sociale – Movement for a Republican and Social Alternative).
They had left the PS five days earlier, in protest of the result of the Reims Congress vote on motions, where the leftist motion they supported won only 19%.
They were joined after by other members from the left of the Socialist Party, by people who hadn't been members of a political party before and by dissidents from the Green Party following the deputy Martine Billard.
Co-presidents and co-founders Mélenchon and Billard stepped down from office in 2014. Since its 2015 congress, the party is led by its coordinators and spokespersons Eric Coquerel and Danielle Simonnet.
Around ninety local elected officials (municipal, regional and general councillors), including two members of the Council of Paris, initially joined the party. This number has dropped since then.
Popular support and electoral record
The PG has not yet run independently in an election, so its base of support is hard to pin-point.
|Election year||Number of votes||% of overall vote||# of seats won|
- Nina Bontemps-Terry (12 July 2014). "Le Parti de gauche, rongé par la désertion de ses militants" (in French). Le Point.
- Denis Tugdual (5 April 2013). "Le Pen-Mélenchon: la mode est au langage populiste" (in French). L'Express.
- Jean-Laurent Cassely (15 April 2013). "Le populisme «vintage» de Jean-Luc Mélenchon, trop élaboré pour être efficace" (in French). Slate.
- "Le Parti de Gauche s'engage dans les campagnes boycott, désinvestissement, sanctions, à l'égard d'Israël". Le Parti de Gauche.
- "French far-left leader steps down, but not leaving politics". RFI. 22 August 2014.
- "Le Secrétariat exécutif national". Le Parti de Gauche.
- Results of the Left Front which includes the larger French Communist Party
- Of the 5 Left Front MEP, 1 is a member of the PG
- Of the 4 Left Front MEP, 1 is a member of the PG