|Founded||12 April 1984|
|National affiliation||Lega Nord|
|Regional Council of Lombardy||
27 / 80
The LL is one of the national sections of Lega Nord (LN) and, along with Liga Veneta, it constitutes the bulk of the federal party. Its main members include Matteo Salvini (federal secretary of Lega Nord), Roberto Maroni (President of Lombardy), Umberto Bossi, Roberto Calderoli, Giancarlo Giorgetti, Gian Marco Centinaio, Francesco Speroni and Roberto Castelli.
The party is currently led by Paolo Grimoldi as national secretary and Giorgetti as national president.
Foundation and formation of Lega Nord
Lega Lombarda was officially founded on 12 April 1984 by Umberto Bossi, who used the resonance of the name of the historical Lega Lombarda when choosing the name. Originally Lega Autonomista Lombarda (Lombard Autonomist League, LAL), the party took the current name in 1986. At its electoral debut in the 1987 general election, Lega Lombarda gained 2.6% of the vote in Lombardy. Bossi was elected to the Senate and Giuseppe Leoni to the Chamber of Deputies.
The party participated in the 1989 European Parliament election as the leading member of the coalition named Lega Lombarda – Alleanza Nord, obtaining 8.1% in Lombardy and two MEPs elected (Francesco Speroni and Luigi Moretti).
In 1989–1990 the LL took part in the process of federating the Northern regionalist parties, ahead of the regional elections. In February 1991 it was merged into Lega Nord (LN) and since then it has been the "national" section of the LN in Lombardy. Bossi was subsequently elected federal secretary of the LN, while maintaining the role of national secretary of the LL for a while.
Negri, Calderoli, Giorgetti
After the 1994 general election, three LL members joined Berlusconi I Cabinet as ministers: Roberto Maroni (who had become the federal party's number two, after Bossi), Vito Gnutti and Speroni. The break-up of the coalition supporting the government led Negri and others to defect to the Federalist Italian League, while Maroni, despite disagreements with Bossi, chose to stay in the party.
Negri was replaced as secretary by Roberto Calderoli, who, as president, had evicted him from the party, despite being his brother-in-law. Calderoli led the party to its best result up to that point in the 1996 general election, when it gained 25.5%.
After the 2000 regional election, the party joined the regional government and has since been a member of it, with no exceptions. After the 2001 general election, three LL members joined Berlusconi II Cabinet as ministers: Bossi, Maroni and Roberto Castelli.
Leadership of Salvini
In 2002 Giorgetti decided to step down from national secretary and the party elected its new leadership at a congress on 1–2 June. Matteo Salvini ran as candidate of the faction around Roberto Maroni, while Cesarino Monti was the candidate of the old guard and of Bossi's loyalists. Salvini won the election with 74% of the votes, that is to say the support of 403 delegates out of 532. Soon after, Giorgetti was appointed national president.
On 1 July 2012 Maroni was elected federal secretary of the LN by its federal congress. The Lombard delegates elected six members to the federal council: Giacomo Stucchi, Paolo Grimoldi, Andrea Mascetti, Gianni Fava, Simona Bordonali, and, on behalf of the minority, Marco Desiderati.
Leadership of Grimoldi
In November 2013 Salvini succeeded to Maroni as Lega Nord's federal secretary and, later on, he appointed a federal commissioner, Stefano Borghesi, to fill the post. Borghesi was later replaced by Grimoldi. In November 2015 Grimoldi was elected national secretary of the party.
On 21 May 2017, after Salvini's re-election as LN federal secretary, five LL members (Bordonali, Fabrizio Cecchetti, Giulio De Capitani, Simona Pergreffi and Jacopo Vignati) were elected to the federal council with Salvini, a sixth (Giorgetti) was elected as an independent and a seventh (Gianni Fava) on behalf of the minority.
The party has its strongholds in the northern and mountain provinces of Lombardy. In the 2010 regional election it won 30.0% in Varese, 28.2% in Pavia, 33.3% in Como, 28.2% in Lecco, 42.4% in Sondrio, 36.9% in Bergamo and 30.1% in Brescia.
The electoral results of Lega Lombarda in the region since 1990 are shown in the table below.
|1990 regional||1992 general||1994 general||1995 regional||1996 general||1999 European||2000 regional||2001 general||2004 European||2005 regional||2006 general||2008 general||2009 European||2010 regional||2013 general||2013 regional||2014 European|
- National Secretary: Umberto Bossi (1984–1993), Luigi Negri (1993–1995), Roberto Calderoli (1995–2002), Giancarlo Giorgetti (2002–2012), Matteo Salvini (2012–2014), Stefano Borghesi (federal commissioner, 2014–2015), Paolo Grimoldi (2015–present)
- National President: Augusto Arizzi (1986–1987), Silvana Bazzan (1987–1989), Franco Castellazzi (1989–1991), Francesco Speroni (1991–1993), Roberto Calderoli (1993–1995), Giuseppe Leoni (1995–1999), Stefano Galli (1999–2002), Roberto Castelli (2002–2012), Giancarlo Giorgetti (2012–present)
- la LEGA si affida a Negri. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- e Bossi promette un colpo di scena. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Berlusconi Scalfaro, gelo sulla crisi. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Ex Lega Nuova sede ai seguaci di Negri. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Al comando un onorevole chirurgo. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Calderoli presidente della LEGA LOMBARDA. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Il duro Calderoli: se il capo vuole espello anche me. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- ::: Ministero dell'Interno ::: Archivio Storico delle Elezioni - Camera del 21 Aprile 1996. Elezionistorico.interno.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Lega Lombarda, Castelli presidente Al «giovane» Giorgetti la segreteria. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- ::: Ministero dell'Interno ::: Archivio Storico delle Elezioni - Regionali del 28 Marzo 2010. Elezionistorico.interno.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Lega Nord, accordo su Salvini: candidato a segretario lombardo - Il Giorno - Milano. Ilgiorno.it (2012-05-18). Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Lega lombarda Salvini candidato dei maroniani. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Segreteria Lega Nord, si candida Cesarino Monti - Il Giorno - Milano. Ilgiorno.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Cesarino Monti sfida Salvini alla segreteria del Carroccio. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- La prima vittoria di Maroni Ma Bossi: non andrò in pensione. Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- "Matteo Salvini eletto segretario della Lega Lombarda". ANSA. 2 June 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- Maroni leader della Lega: «Via da Roma». Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- (in Italian) Oggi la Lega incontra Formigoni «O con noi o col governo Monti. IlGiornale.it. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Regione Lombardia - Elezioni Regionali 2013. Elezioni.regione.lombardia.it (2013-02-28). Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- Combined result of party list (13.0%) and Roberto Maroni's personal list (10.2%).