|Address||5905 Legacy Drive |
Plano, TX 75024
|Opening||June 2, 2017|
|Developer||Karahan Companies |
Columbus Realty Partners
|Size||415,000 square feet (38,555 m2)|
Legacy West is a business and cultural district in Plano, Texas, bordered on the south by the curving Legacy Drive and Headquarters Drive, on the north by the Sam Rayburn Tollway, on the east by the Dallas North Tollway, and on the west by the exit to Headquarters Drive from Sam Rayburn Tollway. It includes 415,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space, a 55,000 square-foot food hall, over 1,300 residential units and a 303-room Renaissance Hotel.
In late 2011, JCPenney issued a request for proposals to develop the 240 acres of land surrounding its regional headquarters in Plano. The surrounding property had been vacant since JCPenney purchased the land in 1987, to relocate its headquarters to Texas from New York City. In 2014, JCPenney came to an agreement with local real estate firms Karahan Companies, KDC and Columbus Realty Partners to develop the land. Construction started later that year, with the developers planning a luxury hotel tower, corporate office space, urban shopping center and apartments. When Toyota announced soon after that it would be moving its North American headquarters to the site from Torrance, California, developers pushed up the timetable for the project.
Toyota broke ground to begin construction on its new $350 million 100-acre headquarters in January 2015. The following month, developers broke ground on the first phase of Legacy West's $2 billion mixed-use project. Construction continued over the next two years on corporate offices, residential, retail, and restaurant properties. On June 2, 2017, Legacy West officially opened the shopping district to the public. Secretary of State of Texas Rolando Pablos, Plano Mayor Harry LaRosiliere and developer Fehmi Karahan helped cut the ceremonial ribbon for the grand opening.
In late 2017 construction continued on projects anchoring the northern end of the retail and entertainment district, including Legacy Hall, a three-story food hall that will have more than two-dozen stalls featuring food concepts from restaurateurs including Dallas-based chef John Tesar and Chili's founder Larry Lavine. Legacy Hall will also house a brewery and tap room from Unlawful Assembly Brewing Company.
Shops, hotel and tenants
All of the restaurants and retailers are located on tree-lined Windrose Avenue, which spans from Sam Rayburn Tollway to Legacy Drive, where it ends at the Beal Bank corporate office.  Shops include Coach, Bonobos, Fabletics, a Tesla showroom, Warby Parker, Levi's, MAC Cosmetics, J.Crew, Sephora, Tumi, Filson, Peter Millar and West Elm. There is also a Barnes & Noble concept store with a restaurant serving wine and beer and a Tommy Bahama Island store and restaurant, in addition to Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House, Shake Shack, True Food Kitchen, Taverna and Starbucks Reserve. At the center of the development is a 3,500 square-foot Bellagio-inspired fountain where choreographed water, light and music shows take place.
Legacy West is home to the headquarters of JCPenney, FedEx Office, NTT Data Systems, and Fogo de Chão and the North American headquarters for Toyota Motor Corporation, and the regional headquarters for JPMorgan Chase, and Liberty Mutual Insurance. It also includes the 15-story, 303-room Renaissance Dallas at Plano Legacy West Hotel.
The Shops at Legacy
To the east of Legacy West and Dallas North Tollway is the Shops at Legacy, a lifestyle center that opened in 2002 and has 33 stores. It is located south of the corporate headquarters of Alliance Data and LegacyTexas Bank. The Shops at Legacy has a luxury Marriot hotel called the Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center just south of Legacy Drive, overlooking Bishop Park and houses Hilti North America, Hilti's North American headquarters. Right in the center of The Shops at Legacy is the Baccus Cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Plano dating back to about 1847 where Captain Henry Cook buried his son Daniel Cook, a veteran from the War of 1812. The Baccus Cemetery is one of the most historic sites in Plano.
- Silvestri, Rebecca. "Plans revealed for Legacy Cultural District". Plano Profile. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Al Urbanski, "Mini-Bellagio fountain debuts at Plano center," Chain Store Age, June 20, 2017.
- Steve Brown, "Office campus, shops and high-rise hotel in the works for big Plano development," Dallas Morning News, March 13, 2014.
- Anthony DePalma, "Why Penney Is Moving to the Prairies," New York Times, August 23, 1987.
- Sharon Edelson, "Legacy West Is Bringing New Brands to North Texas," Women's Wear Daily, April 20, 2017.
- Sean Lester, "Construction starting on huge Legacy West mixed-use project in Plano," Dallas Morning News, February 3, 2015.
- Jerry Hirsch, "3,000 Toyota jobs to move to Texas from Torrance," Los Angeles Times, April 29, 2014.
- Steve Brown, "Landing Toyota headquarters has pushed up the timetable for Plano's Legacy West project," Dallas Morning News, April 29, 2014.
- Catherine Ross, "Plano's 'Legacy West' Booming as Toyota Breaks Ground," NBC Dallas, January 20, 2015.
- Steve Brown, "Plano officially opens Legacy West urban village: 'Welcome to the center of the universe'," Dallas Morning News, June 2, 2017.
- Gavin Pugh, "Legacy Hall opening date moved, plus 3 other updates about Plano's Legacy West," Community Impact, October 27, 2017.
- Daniel Rockey, "Legacy Hall," Plano Magazine, October 30, 2017.
- Karen Robinson-Jacobs, "Here's what's coming to the new food hall at Plano's Legacy West," Dallas Morning News, October 20, 2017.
- MAria Halkias and KAren Robinson-Jacobs"A peek at the restaurants, stores you'll find when Plano's massive Legacy West opens in March" Dallas Morning News, January 27, 2017.
- Candace Carlisle, "Barnes & Noble bringing the beer, wine and books to Plano's Legacy West," Dallas Business Journal, September 1, 2016.
- Gensler, "Legacy West" January 27, 2018.
- Peter Grant,"J.C. Penney Sets Trend in Reviving Suburban Corporate Campuses" Wall Street Journal, January 27, 2018.
- Ben Russell, "Plano's Massive Legacy West Development Opens Friday," NBC Dallas, June 2, 2017.
- Steve Brown,NTT Data adding offices to Plano for 3 billion at Legacy West, Dallas Morning News, January 28, 2018.
- Karen Robinson, "Fogo de Chão plans North Texas expansion to Uptown, Plano" Dallas News, June 4, 2018.
- Steve Brown, "Chase's $300 million Legacy West project in Plano tops out," Dallas Morning News, April 26, 2017.
- Candace Carlisle, "Liberty Mutual reaches milestone on $325M campus in Plano's Legacy West," Dallas Business Journal, April 6, 2017.
- Lily Corral, "Legacy West Hotel Opens Its Doors," D Magazine, July 10, 2017.
- ShoppingThe Shops at Legacy, January 28, 2017.
- Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town CenterMarriot International, January 28, 2017.
- Candace Fountoulakis,Baccus CemeteryPlano Magazine, January 28, 2017.
- "SHOPPING". June 4, 2018.