|Founded||March 12, 2001|
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Slogan||Online Legal Document Services|
LegalZoom.com, Inc. is an online legal technology company that was founded by Brian P. Y. Liu, Brian S. Lee, Edward R. Hartman, and Robert Shapiro. In addition to providing an array of online legal documents like wills and living trusts, LegalZoom offers LLC, incorporation, trademark and registered agent services.
LegalZoom began offering legal service products to the public on March 12, 2001. Lee, Hartman, and Liu felt that since they were unknowns, they needed to attach someone to the company that people trusted. They came up with a list of potential candidates and decided on Robert Shapiro. Lee got Shapiro's phone number and called him at 8:30pm believing he would be leaving a voice mail, but Shapiro personally answered the phone and after discussion, liked the concept.
In September 2012 it was announced that LegalZoom had formed a partnership with the United Kingdom-based legal services provider QualitySolicitors, as part of which the companies will jointly offer online legal services in the United Kingdom including company formations and divorce documents.
In 2013 LegalZoom purchased a 206,000-square-foot building at 9900 Spectrum Drive in the Davis Springs Spectrum Business Park in Austin, Texas for a reported $21 million. The Austin office acts as one of their headquarters and in July 2014 they installed a 260 kW solar electric system.
On January 6, 2014 European private capital firm Permira announced its intent to acquire $200 million in the outstanding equity of LegalZoom and become its largest shareholder pending regulatory approval. On February 14, 2014 Permira announced that the deal was complete.
In 2015 LegalZoom announced they were to make their first UK acquisition. The acquired firm are Beaumont Legal, a 200-year-old firm in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England which describes itself as one of the largest conveyancers in the country.
LegalZoom provides legal services in various common categories including copyrights, DBAs, divorce, business formation, trusts, wills, name changes, patents, power of attorney, pre-nuptial agreements, real estate leases, trademark registration. The company also provides a directory of attorneys as a certified California attorney referral service and offers flat-fee legal plans with member-reviewed attorneys.
- In 2011, Business Insider ranked LegalZoom 27th on its list of the world's most valuable startups.
- In 2012, Fast Company ranked LegalZoom 26th on its list of the most innovative companies.
- First online dating, then online wedding planning, now this (22 January 2004). USA Today. Last accessed 17 April 2009
- Bernstein, Fred. "Being of Sound Mind, and a $55 Consultation". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Registered agent market share". NWRA. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Incorporation: The Web Can Help". PC Magazine. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Chang, Andrea. "Entrepreneur Brian Lee is business partner to the stars". www.latimes.com. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "LegalZoom to tie up with QualitySolicitors for British launch". The Lawyer. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Permira to take controlling stake in LegalZoom.com". www.reuters.com. Reuters. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "The 100 Most Valuable Startups In The World, Revamped And Revised!" Business Insider, October 7, 2011.
- David Lidsky, "Most Innovative Companies 2012," Fast Company, February 7, 2012.