ALM (formerly American Lawyer Media) is an integrated media company located in New York City, and is a leading provider of specialized business news and information, focused primarily on the legal, insurance, and commercial real estate sectors. ALM owns and publishes 33 national and regional magazines and newspapers, including The American Lawyer, the New York Law Journal, Corporate Counsel, The National Law Journal, The Legal Intelligencer, Legal Times and Real Estate Forum. The company also produces conferences and trade shows for business leaders and the legal profession. Law Journal Press, ALM's professional book imprint, publishes over 130 treatises on a broad range of legal topics. Other ALM businesses include newsletter publishing, court verdict and settlement reporting, production of professional educational seminars, market research and content distribution. The company was started in 1979 by Steven Brill to publish The American Lawyer.
In 1997, Brill sold ALM to Time Warner, who wanted the CourtTV stake. ALM's legal publications were acquired from Time Warner by U.S. Equity Partners, L.P., a private equity fund sponsored by Wasserstein & Co., L.P., in 1998. Shortly afterward, it acquired National Law Publishing Company (parent of The National Law Journal and New York Law Journal) from Boston Ventures and the legal publications of Legal Communications (including The Legal Intelligencer) from Meridian Venture Partners. In 1999, U.S. Equity bought real estate publisher Schein Publications.
In 2007, ALM was purchased by Incisive Media for US$630 million. In 2009, Incisive had to restructure the loan used to purchase ALM, and ALM once again became an independent company, owned by the lenders and Apax Partners. Wasserstein & Co. repurchased ALM in 2014. In 2015, ALM acquired Summit Professional Networks. In January 2016 the company acquired British legal magazine Legal Week.
- "Company Profile". ALM Press Room. 2009. Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Tryhorn, Chris (5 July 2007). "Incisive Media purchases US publisher ALM". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Time Warner Buys Court TV Stake
- Time Warner to Shed Legal Publications
- Law Publishing Merger Planned
- Would-be Buyer Is Bought Up
- Schein Publications Acquired by Wasserstein Perella Private Equity Affiliate.
- "Incisive Media reaches agreement on refinancing of the Group". Incisive Media (Press release). 8 Sep 2009. Retrieved 4 Dec 2013.
- Wasserstein buys back law titles for $417M
- Lukas I. Alpert (5 January 2015). "Legal Publisher ALM to Acquire Summit Professional Networks". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Nell Gluckman (12 January 2016). "ALM Buys UK's Legal Week From Incisive Media". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Official website
- Law.com - legal site
- GlobeSt.com - real estate site
- CLECenter.com Continuing Legal Education
- American Lawyer Media Holdings in the International Directory of Company Histories, 2000.
|This article about a media company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|