Jump to navigation Jump to search
Legal age or codified age refers to age at which a person may legally engage in a certain activity. Most frequently, this is the age of majority, the threshold of adulthood as recognized in law.
Other ages of legal significance include:
- Age of criminal responsibility
- Age of majority (or age of maturity)
- Age of candidacy, the age at which a person can legally qualify to hold certain elected government offices
- Age of consent, the legal age for sexual activities, the age at which a person is considered to be legally competent to consent to sexual acts
- Legal drinking age, the age at which a person is permitted by law to consume alcoholic beverages
- Legal working age, the age at which a person is allowed to work
- Marriageable age, the age at which a person is allowed to marry
- Retirement age
- School leaving age
- Smoking age, the minimum legal age to purchase cigarettes
- Voting age, the minimum legal age to be eligible to vote in a public election
|Look up legal age in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
| This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.