Legend (Robin of Sherwood soundtrack)
|Soundtrack album by|
|Singles from Legend|
Legend is a 1984 soundtrack album for the ITV television series Robin of Sherwood, by the Irish folk group Clannad. It is their eighth album. In 1985, this album won the BAFTA award for Best Original Television Music, making Clannad the first Irish band to win the award.
"Robin (The Hooded Man)", the title theme from the series, was also released on a 7-inch single in 1984, featuring actor Michael Praed as Robin of Sherwood on the sleeve. The single was then re-released in 1986 with a newly recorded version and featuring actor Jason Connery on the sleeve. For this re-release, the B-sides include "Caisleán Óir" (as it appears on the album Macalla), which originally appeared slightly different as incidental music in the series. In addition, "Now Is Here" and "Scarlet Inside" were released as singles in their own right.
In addition to the tracks on Legend, which were used extensively in the series, music composed for the show was occasionally released elsewhere in different versions. These included a new version of "Caislean Oir" on Clannad's Macalla album (released 1986), and two live performances entitled "Robin of Sherwood Medley" and (portions of) "Dance & Teidhir Abhaile Riu" from Clannad: Live in Concert (released 2005). Another theme from the series was reworked as the song "Almost Seems (Too Late to Turn)".
In a statement posted in November 2003 on their official web site, Clannad revealed that,
- "there were several other pieces of music recorded for the 3rd series of Robin of Sherwood that were not included on the Legend album. Unfortunately no-one has been able to locate the master tapes of this music. The search is continuing and hopefully one day these recordings will be able to be released."
Both sets 1 and 2 of the Blu-ray release and the European DVD release of Robin of Sherwood have a "music only" track for many of the episodes. This allows listeners to hear music not included on "Legend" from the first and second series, as well as the additional music recorded after the release of Legend, to be heard on their own.
|UK Albums Chart||14|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||9|
- "Robin (The Hooded Man)" (Ciarán Brennan) – 2:48
- "Now Is Here" (Pól Brennan) – 3:32
- "Herne" (P. Brennan) – 5:08
- "Together We" (P. Brennan) – 3:28
- "Darkmere" (C. Brennan) – 1:59
- "Strange Land" (P. Brennan) – 3:10
- "Scarlet Inside" (P. Brennan) – 5:08
- "Lady Marian" (C. Brennan) – 3:20
- "Battles" (C. Brennan) – 1:01
- "Ancient Forest" (P. Brennan, C. Brennan, Máire Brennan) – 2:59
- "Caislean Oir (Bonus Track)" - 2:05
- "Robin (The Hooded Man)"
- "Now Is Here"
- "Scarlet Inside"
- "Robin (The Hooded Man)" EP (series three remix of theme tune)
- "Together We – Cantoma Mix" (bonus track available only on Deluxe Edition, UK 2003)
- Máire Brennan – lead vocal, harp
- Pól Brennan – guitar, flute, tin whistle, keyboards, vocals
- Ciarán Brennan – double bass, synthesisers, guitar, vocals
- Pádraig Duggan – mandola, guitar, vocals
- Noel Duggan – guitar, vocals
- James Delaney – keyboards
- Paul Moran – drums
- Pat Farrell – electric guitar
- Frank Ricotti – percussion