Legend (Poco album)
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Richard Sanford Orshoff|
|Singles from Legend|
After ABC Records cancelled the release of Poco's planned 13th album The Last Roundup. the three remaining members of the band agreed to take a break. Rusty Young and Paul Cotton formed a new group called the Cotton-Young Band and prepared this album as a duo. However, ABC acquired the album and then decided to continue to use the name "Poco" for the band. When the album became successful, Poco drummer George Grantham found himself forced out of Poco without ever having quit the group.
"Crazy Love" and "Heart of the Night", written and sung by Young and Cotton respectively, became the group's two biggest hits to date. After "Crazy Love" was released as a single, ABC Records was acquired by MCA Records, and the record's stunning commercial success was attributed by some to the efforts of ABC's promotional staff to prove their value to MCA. Meanwhile, the band started to stray from its distinct country rock sound, heading towards a more mainstream, commercially applauded soft rock and pop sound. Other noteworthy album cuts were "Spellbound," "Little Darlin'," "Legend," and "Barbados."
The cover art for Legend was done by Phil Hartman, the brother of Poco manager John Hartmann; Phil Hartman worked as a graphic designer creating album covers for his brother's clients (including America) while attempting to break out as a comic.
In his Allmusic review, music critic Bruce Eder wrote, "Listening to parts of this album, one gets the sense that, with the arrival of Charlie Harrison (bass, harmony vocals) and Steve Chapman (drums) in the group, Poco was deliberately adopting a change in sound similar to what the Eagles went through when Joe Walsh joined, into much harder rocking territory, at least part of the time." He called "Heart of the Night" "one of the most finely crafted songs in the group's history."
- "Boomerang" (Paul Cotton) – 3:48
- "Spellbound" (Rusty Young) – 5:13
- "Barbados" (Paul Cotton) – 3:31
- "Little Darlin’" (Rusty Young) – 3:47
- "Love Comes Love Goes" (Rusty Young) – 3:55
- "Heart of the Night" (Paul Cotton) – 4:49
- "Crazy Love" (Rusty Young) – 2:55
- "The Last Goodbye" (Rusty Young) – 5:40
- "Legend" (Rusty Young) – 4:16
- Paul Cotton – guitar, vocals
- Rusty Young – steel guitar, guitar, vocals
- Charlie Harrison – bass, vocals
- Steve Chapman – drums
- Michael Boddicker – synthesizer
- Steve Forman – percussion
- Tom Stephenson – keyboards
- Jai Winding – keyboards
- Phil Kenzie – saxophone
- David Campbell – string arrangements
- Producer: Richard Sanford Orshoff
- Recording Engineer: Joe Chiccarelli, David Henson assisted by Jom Hill