Legend of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
|Legend of Illusion
Starring Mickey Mouse
Game Gear Cover art
|Release date(s)||Sega Game Gear
Legend of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, released in Japan as Mickey Mouse: Densetsu no Oukoku (ミッキーマウス 伝説の王国?), is a 1995 platform video game. It was released for the Game Gear in 1995, with a Master System version released in Brazil at the end of 1998. It is the last game in the series.
A dark shadow has struck the land and King Pete is told by the advisor that only a king can find the legendary water of life to heal the land. The cowardly Pete makes Mickey, a laundry boy an honorary king. Reluctant at first, Mickey sets off to save the kingdom.
Unlike the other two Master System/Game Gear Illusion games, Mickey defeats enemies by throwing bars of soap (and later rocks) to defeat them rather than by bouncing on them. Frequently there are puzzles that need to be solved to progress through the stages. One of the stages is a scrolling shooter. If all gems are collected in the final level, the player is rewarded with an alternate ending after King Pete is beaten.
Reviewing the Game Gear version, GamePro mildly criticized the sounds, the lack of challenge, and the Game Gear's limited controls, but praised the "Disney quality" graphics and concluded the game to be "worth playing". The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it a 7.5 out of 10, commenting on the impressive graphics (particularly the "crisp" colors), the solid controls and playability, and general fun of the game. Ed Semrad concluded, "It seems that the programmers took some time on this one. Action gamers and Disney fans alike should check out this outstanding game."
- List of Disney video games by genre
- List of Sega video game franchises
- List of Sega Master System games
- List of Game Gear games
- "Pacotão: As novidades nacionais". Ação Games (in Portuguese). São Paulo: Abril Jovem (134): 11. December 1998. ISSN 0104-1630.
- "Legend of Illusion". SuperGamePower (in Portuguese). São Paulo: Nova Cultural (58): 40. January 1999. ISSN 0104-611X.
- ブラジルのゲーム（笑）. 新田光明の牢獄 (in Japanese). Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "Legend of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse". GamePro. IDG (68): 123. March 1995.
- "Review Crew: Legend of Illusion". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Ziff Davis (67): 36. February 1995.