Legend of the Blue Sea
|Legend of the Blue Sea|
|Based on||Eou yadam|
by Yu Mong-in
|Developed by||Park Young-soo|
|Written by||Park Ji-eun|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20 + 1 special|
|Executive producer(s)||Kim Sun-jung|
Jinnie Jin-hee Choi
|Running time||60 mins|
|Original network||SBS TV|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||November 16, 2016 –|
January 25, 2017
Legend of the Blue Sea (Korean: 푸른 바다의 전설; RR: Pureun bada-ui jeonseol) is a 2016-2017 South Korean television series starring Jun Ji-hyun and Lee Min-ho. Inspired by a classic Joseon legend from Korea's first collection of unofficial historical tales about a fisherman who captures and releases a mermaid, this drama tells the love story of a con-artist and a mermaid who travels across the ocean to find him. It aired on SBS every Wednesday and Thursday at 22:00 (KST) started from 16 November 2016 until 25 January 2017.
- 1 Plot Summary
- 2 Cast
- 3 Production
- 4 Original soundtrack
- 5 Reception
- 6 Ratings
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 International broadcast
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The television series centers on the love story of Heo Joon-jae (Lee Min-ho), the son of a rich businessman who becomes a clever con-man after his parents' divorce, and a mermaid named Shim Cheong (Jun Ji-hyun). Focusing on rebirth, fate, and unrequited love, their tale is juxtaposed with the parallel story of their Joseon era incarnations, town head Kim Dam-ryeong and the mermaid Se-hwa.
Dam-ryeong and Se-hwa
During the Joseon era, a mermaid saves the son of a nobleman, Kim Dam-ryeong, from drowning. Following the incident, the two children become close friends and Dam-ryeong names her Se-hwa, meaning 'a bright, shining child', after his deceased younger sister. Despite being from two different worlds, they fall in love until Dam-ryeong is forced to take up an arranged marriage. Se-hwa plans to turn her fishtail into a pair of human legs and live up on land with Dam-ryeong, but due to having not reached adulthood yet is unable to do so. Devastated by the news, she decides to leave him forever. Nevertheless, Dam-ryeong's love for Se-hwa forces him to leave his wife after the marriage and jump into the ocean to look for her. The distraught Se-hwa rescues him from drowning, and promptly erases his memories of her and their love so that he may not look for her again.
After years of separation, the two grow as adults. Their paths cross again as Se-hwa is found by town folks trapped in a cave after a storm, and brought before Dam-ryeong, now a town official. While Dam-ryeong does not remember her, he takes pity on her to set her free, angering the town inn's head and nobleman Yang, who had plans to steal Se-hwa for his own and overthrow Dam-ryeong. With the help of his materialistic concubine, Yang murders those in his way and spreads a rumour that Dam-ryeong is unfit to rule as he is bewitched by a wicked mermaid, allowing him to capture Se-hwa as the village falls into panic. Dam-ryeong arrives too late to save Se-hwa, who has been tortured by Yang and his concubine to extract her tears, which turn into rare sea pearls.
Dam-ryeong, who has been experiencing dreams of himself, Se-hwa, and their foes in the future, fears that the same ill-fate that afflicts himself and Se-hwa will replay itself. To warn his future self, he commissions a soon-to-be artifact—a time capsule containing a portrait of himself with a message to his future self that “everything is repeating itself” and he has to protect the reincarnation of Se-hwa from danger, particularly due to the reincarnations of Yang and anyone related to him.
A furious Dam-ryeong is determined to kill Yang and expose all his crimes, until he is exiled and removed from his position by the court. While escorted on a boat for his exile, Yang and his associates renew search for Se-hwa. Urged by his suspicions, Dam-ryeong requests the boat to turn around and a fight ensues with Yang and his gang, with Se-hwa being attacked under water. As all the men aim their harpoons, Dam-ryeong plunges into the water just as a harpoon, hurled by Yang's son, impales him from behind, saving Se-hwa. As Dam-ryeong dies in her hands, Se-hwa thrusts the harpoon deeper through his body and stabs herself. The boats sink, carrying Dam-ryeong's belongings with them, and Dam-ryeong's jadeite bracelet, which he gifted Se-hwa earlier, slides off from the dying Se-hwa's arm and is lost to the ocean. Yang and his concubines were executed by sword and monkshood poison, respectively, for their crimes after the officials who survived from the fight cleared Dam-ryeong of the false accusations.
Joon-jae and Shim Cheong
In modern day, young Heo Joon-jae runs away from home after the divorce of his parents and his father obtaining the rights to raise him. His father Heo Il-joong (Choi Jung-woo) adopts stepson Chi-hyun (Lee Ji-hoon) after marriage with Kang Seo-hee (Hwang Shin-hye). Joon-jae's mother Mo Yoo-ran (Na Young-hee), after the divorce, works as a housekeeper after running out of money after the divorce. In his search for his mother, Joon-jae becomes a con-artist, using his good looks, wits, and skills in hypnotism in conducting scams with his mentor Jo Nam-doo (Lee Hee-joon) and computer hacking genius Tae-oh (Shin Won-ho). His affections are chased after by his college classmate, Cha Shi-ah.
Using the money earned from his scams, Joon-jae flies to Spain for a vacation. There he meets a mysterious beautiful woman who breaks into his hotel room. He calls the police who take her as a suspect for recent thefts in the local area but Joon-jae retrieves her after being curious about the jadeite bracelet he saw on the woman's arm. Nam-doo receives from Joon-jae a photo of the woman with the jadeite and confirms over the phone that the jadeite is genuine and of unimaginably high price due to its quality. Meanwhile, Joon-jae is being chased by gunmen hired by a rich businesswoman who had fallen for Joon-jae's scams. He brings the mysterious woman with him throughout the pursuit, until they end up cornered on a cliff facing the sea. They jump into the water and the woman, who was revealed to be a mermaid unbeknownst to Joon-jae, kisses him to erase his memories of her but promises to follow him to Seoul.
Joon-jae returns to Seoul and is tormented by the gaps in his memories and by Jo Nam-doo's claims of him being with a girl with an expensive jadeite. After months travelling, the mermaid also arrives in Seoul wandering around the city for days, until she runs into Joon-jae. He recognizes her to be the woman Nam-doo is referring to from the pictures he sent to Nam-doo and interrogates her on her identity and why he cannot remember her, although she hesitates to answer. He brings her to his home and names her Shim Cheong. He allows her to stay at his home for several days to recollect his memories of her but just after he makes her leave as he was unable to remember anything significant, she gets hit by Chi-Hyun's car that evening, due to which he takes her back to his house. After this, they steadily grow close to each other.
Kang Seo-hee hires the fugitive Ma Dae-young (Sung Dong-il) to kill Joon-jae as part of her scheme to inherit Heo Il-joong's fortune. She also has secretly introduced Heo Il-joong with small yet potent doses of anticholinergic and monkshood extract, contributing to his failing health, particularly his vision. Chi-hyun dutifully nurses him, completely unaware of his mother's treachery. Ma Dae-young attempts several times to murder both Joon-jae and Shim Cheong but fails. After trying to murder but caught by Shim Cheonh, she erases Ma Dae-young's memories and, in the process, learns the fate of their Joseon era incarnations Kim Dam-ryeong and Se-hwa, which Ma Dae-young recollected again over time.
Linked by dreams, mysterious artifacts, including the jadeite bracelet, a vase with an image of a mermaid kissing a man in modern-day clothes, and the portrait of Kim Dam-ryeong with the inscription “everything is repeating itself", Joon-jae also learns of Dam-ryeong's world and his own fate, concluding that he and Shim Cheong are reincarnations of Kim Dam-ryeong and Se-hwa. Through his consultations with Professor of Neuropsychiatry Jin Kyung-won (Lee Ho-jae), he is able to retrieve his lost memories and the full rendering of his dreams about Kim Dam-ryeong and Se-hwa. He can also hear Shim Cheong's inner voice; he learns that she is indeed a mermaid and that, unless she returns to the sea, her heart will harden and eventually stop if he will not love her.
Joon-jae and Shim-cheong live comfortably with each other despite conflicts and the fear of the impending ill-fate. Joon-jae also finds his mother Mo Yoo-ran, who quit her job as housekeeper. On the other hand, Chi-hyun learns that his real father is Ma Dae-young and he is Kang Seo-hee's lover. He also learns of Kang Seo-hee's crimes and reluctantly consents to them. Kang Seo-hee finally kills Heo Il-joong, using a strong dose of monkshood. Joon-jae, with the help of Shim Cheong, Jo Nam-doo, Tae-oh, and police officer-detective Hong Dong-pyo (Park Hae-soo), busts Kang Seo-hee, revealing her real name to be "Kang Ji-hyun" and her schemes finally revealed. A maddened Chi-hyun grabs a police officer's gun as he's being arrested and aims at Joon-jae but Shim Cheong takes the shot to save him. Kang Seo-hee is detained while Chi-hyun later kills himself with monkshood poison.
As Shim Cheong, being a mermaid, survives the fatal injury and Joon-jae learns that Ma Dae-young is visiting Professor Jin Kyung-won. As Joon-jae, Jo Nam-doo, and Officer Hong Dong-pyo rush to get him, Ma Dae-young recovers his memories of his past life and learns the death of his incarnation, Mr. Yang, and Yang's concubine, revealed to be by the hands of Park Moo, Jo Nam-doo's incarnation. Just as Professor Jin Kyung-won was about to be murdered, Joon-jae arrives, and Ma Dae-young is seized by the police. Shim Cheong is discharged afterwards, but does not recover completely as she was shot at her heart. In order to fully recover, she decides to go back into the water. Shim Cheong erases Joon-Jae's memories of her, even after he disagrees with the idea and later, of everyone who knew her, except that of her friend named Yoo-na (Shin Rin-ah), a young girl and returns to the ocean.
Three years later, Joon-jae becomes a prosecutor, Jo Nam-doo works as a lecturer, and Tae-oh, now working as a white hacker, is engaged to Cha Shi-ah (Shin Hye-sun). Shim Cheong fully recovers her health and returns to Seoul and returns to Joon-jae. Despite his lost memories, Joon-jae recognizes Shim Cheong and it is revealed that he recorded his life with Shim Cheong, in case his memories are lost again. They move to a house near the sea and Shim Cheong becomes pregnant. Joon-jae ultimately evaded the ill fate that had been in store for them with Kim Dam-ryeong's visions.
- Jun Ji-hyun as Se-hwa / Shim Cheong
A mermaid in the Joseon era who fell in love with Dam-ryeong as a child after saving him. As they are initially unable to stay together due to his arranged marriage and Se-hwa's inability to turn her tail into legs without reaching adulthood yet, she erases his memories. The two meet again and suffer a tragic fate together, beginning the first omen that will tie into their reincarnations.In the modern-day, she arrives in Seoul to follow Joon-jae after having fallen in love with him. He names her Shim Cheong, which means 'stupid' as she is highly ignorant about common things up on land. Like her past self, she has super strength and the ability to read and erase one's memory.
- Lee Min-ho as Kim Dam-ryung / Heo Joon-jae
- Jeon Jin-seo as child Kim Dam-ryung / Heo Joon-jae
- Park Jin-young as teenage Kim Dam-ryung / Heo Joon-jae
- A con-man and Joon-jae's mentor. He trained Joon-jae to be a great con-man along with him. His Joseon incarnation is Park Moo, who worked with Joon-jae's stepbrother in their past lives. It was later revealed that his loyalty towards Dam-ryung and Joon-jae prevailed over his stepbrother in the Joseon era and modern day respectively.
- Joon-jae's university junior who has an unrequited love for him, and a researcher at KAIST. Through her job she discovered some artifacts related to Dam-ryung from the Joseon era and helped Joon-jae discover his past identity. She was revealed to be the deceased wife of Dam-ryung in the Joseon era.
- A genius hacker and a con-man together with Joon-jae and Nam-doo. A quiet person who likes to play computer games. He initially has a secret crush on Shim Chung, but ended up falling for Shi-ah.
- Joon-jae's stepbrother. A hardworking son who dutifully stayed by his stepfather's side after Joon-jae left home. His Joseon incarnation was revealed to be an antagonist: the son of Mr. Yang, who killed Dam-ryung and Se-hwa. In his reincarnation, he turned against Joon-jae due to his unrequited love for his stepfather.
- Joon-jae's mother. The Cha family's housekeeper.
- Chi-hyun's mother and Joon-jae's stepmother. She will do anything to keep her luxurious life with her son. She hired a hit-man to kill Joon-jae to make her son the definite heir of her husband. Her real name, Kang Ji-yeon, was revealed in the latter part of the series.In the Joseon era she is a selfish and vain woman and Mr. Yang's concubine.
- A mermaid trafficker during the Joseon era. In the modern day, he is a murder criminal and a hit-man hired by Seo-hee/Ji-hyun to kill Joon-jae. He was later revealed to be Chi-hyun's father.
- Joon-jae's father, and a property agent. After the success of his business he divorced with Yoo-ran and married Seo-hee/Ji-hyun.
- Shi-ah's sister-in-law, a Daechi-dong madam who is vain and haughty. In her past life, she was revealed to be Yoo-ran's servant.
- Park Hae-soo as Hong Dong-pyo
- A Joseon era government official, who is Dam-ryung's friend. / A modern-day detective who is investigating Dae-young's crimes as well as Joon-jae's scams. Later, he sided up with Joon-jae in investigating the death of Heo Il-joong by the hands of Ji-hyun.
- Kim Sung-ryung as Jang Jin-ok, Han Sung-tae's wife, a Myungdong Capital Madam.
- Park Ji-il as Manager Nam
- Choi Kwon as young Manager Nam in Joseon era
- Dam-ryeong's loyal friend in the Joseon era. Il-joong's secretary and Joon-jae's friend in the present time. He took care of Joon-jae when he was still young. In his past incarnation, he discovered the hidden traitors of Dam-ryung, which are Park Moo and the Joseon incarnation of Chi-hyun.
- Shin Rin-ah as Seo Yoo-na
- Shim Chung's child friend. Apart from Dam-ryung/Joon-jae, she is the only one who can hear Se-hwa/Shim Chung's inner voice both during the Joseon era and present time. In the Joseon time, she was the daughter of a fisherman and a mermaid.
- A beggar whom Shim Chung always seeks when she has problems and needs life advice.
- Lee Jae-won as Cha Dong-shik
- Shi-ah's brother and Jin-joo's husband.
- Lee Ho-jae as Professor Jin Kyung-won
- A Joseon era fortune teller. A modern-day neuropsychiatrist who helped both Heo Joon-jae and Ma Dae-young in recovering their lost memories.
- Go Gyu-pil as Han Sung-tae, a Myungdong Capital CEO (ep.1)
- Krystal Jung as Min-ji, a flight attendant (ep.1)
- Ahn Jae-hong as Thomas, a missionary (ep.2)
- Cha Tae-hyun as a Han River con-man (ep.4)
- Kim Kang-hyun as a police officer (ep.5)
- Park Jin-joo as a nurse (ep.6)
- Jo Jung-suk as Yoo Jung-hoon, a merman who now lives in Seoul and is a police officer. He knows Shim Cheong. (ep.7-8)
- Jeong Yoo-mi as Kim Hye-jin (ep.8)
- Kim Sun-young as an ajumma in the jjimjilbang (ep.11)
- Im Won-hee as a doctor (ep.19)
- Kim Seul-gi as a mermaid (ep.20)
Filming began on August 19, 2016 in Goesan, North Chungcheong Province, South Korea. The production team then flew to Palau to film underwater scenes. The cast and crew flew to Spain on September 11 where they filmed in A Coruña, Ribadeo, Lugo, Tossa de Mar and Castell de Santa Florentina in Canet de Mar, as well as Begur (Es Cau Swimming Pool), Sitges (Town Hall and other backdrops) and Barcelona (exteriors of Palau de la Música Catalana, etc.), among other places in Catalonia and Galicia (Spain). The first script reading was held on October 8, 2016, two months after production began, due to the busy schedules of the actors. It lasted three hours and covered the first four episodes.
This drama served as a reunion for Lee Min-ho and Kim Sung-ryung, who had son and mother relationship in the 2013 SBS hit drama across Asia, The Heirs, for Lee Ji-hoon and for Shin Hye-sun who debuted together in the 2012 KBS2 hit school drama School 2013 as well as Jun Ji-hyun, Hong Jin-kyung, and Na Young-hee who previously worked together in the 2013 SBS hit drama My Love from the Star.
|Legend of the Blue Sea |
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||January 20, 2017digital) (|
January 24, 2017 (2CD)
|Producer||Hwang Se-jun (executive)|
OST Part 1
|2.||"Love Story" (Inst.)||3:24|
OST Part 2
|1.||"A World That Is You" (그대라는 세상)||Han Joo||Lee Yoo-jin||Yoon Mi-rae||3:37|
|2.||"A World That Is You" (그대라는 세상 (Inst.))||Lee Yoo-jin||3:37|
OST Part 3
|1.||"Lean on You" (너에게 기울어가)||Kim Ji-hyang||MELODESIGN||Jung-yup (Brown Eyed Soul)||3:46|
|2.||"Lean on You" (너에게 기울어가 (Inst.))||MELODESIGN||3:46|
OST Part 4
|1.||"Shy Boy" (설레이는 소년처럼)||Shin Hae-chul||Ha Hyun-woo (Guckkasten)||3:31|
|2.||"Shy Boy" (설레이는 소년처럼 (Inst.))||3:31|
OST Part 5
|1.||"Somewhere Someday" (어디선가 언젠가)||Kim Eana||Sung Si-kyung||4:32|
|2.||"Somewhere Someday" (어디선가 언젠가 (Inst.))||4:32|
OST Part 6
|1.||"Wind Flower" (바람꽃)||Tom & Jerry||Lee Sun-hee||4:11|
|2.||"Wind Flower" (바람꽃 (Inst.))||Tom & Jerry||4:11|
OST Part 7
|1.||"Fool" (바보야)||Honey Pot||Honey Pot||Ken (VIXX)||3:14|
|2.||"Fool" (바보야 (Inst.))||Honey Pot||3:14|
OST Part 8
|1.||"Why Would I Do Like This" (내가 왜 이럴까)||Noh Ah-ram (Coffee Boy)||Noh Ah-ram||Coffee Boy||3:14|
|2.||"Why Would I Do Like This" (내가 왜 이럴까 (Inst.))||Noh Ah-ram||3:14|
OST Part 9
|1.||"Day By Day" (하루에 하나씩)||Park Yoon-ha||3:09|
|2.||"Day By Day" (하루에 하나씩 (Inst.))||3:09|
OST Part 10
|1.||"If Only" (만에 하나)||Se-jeong (Gugudan)||4:16|
|2.||"If Only" (만에 하나 (Inst.))||4:16|
OST Part 11
|1.||"Love Road" (사랑길)||Kim Ji-hyang||MELODESIGN||Min Chae||3:54|
|2.||"Love Road" (사랑길 (Inst.))||MELODESIGN||3:54|
|1.||"Sound Of Ocean"||Ryo Yoshimata||Ryo Yoshimata|
|3.||"The Last Time"||Yoshimata||Yoshimata|
|1.||"Hidden Story" (숨겨진 이야기)||Second Moon||Second Moon||Second Moon feat. Han Ah-reum|
|2.||"My Name" (나의 이름)||Second Moon||Second Moon feat. Han Ah-reum|
|3.||"The Way to Meet You" (너를 찾아 가는길)||Second Moon||Second Moon||Second Moon|
|4.||"At This Time" (다음 이시간에)||Second Moon||Second Moon||Second Moon|
Due to the star power of Lee and Jun, the series maintained the first-place ranking for its timeslot and surpassed 20% viewership ratings. The series also fared well overseas, having been exported to all major regions around the world, including Southeast Asia, the Americas and Europe. Despite the show's success, it was criticized for lack of originality, as many viewers felt that the 'parallel timeline' and 'romance between a human and supernatural being' were recycled elements of writer Park's previous series My Love From the Star (2013-2014) Additionally, it was slammed for bad editing, loose plot and lack of chemistry. After the release of director's cut for the first two episodes which included additional scenes, it was acclaimed to be good and many felt that these episodes would've done much better than the previous cuts.
However, Jun's performance as a mermaid was met with overall high praise; with The Straits Times saying that she is "brilliant as the otherworldly goofball who is blissfully unaware of the mission to save her self-worth" and Yonhap News Agency highlighting her "trademark lanky, slender yet at times powerful and dramatic performance".
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Episode #||Date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||November 16, 2016||15.4% (4th)||18.9% (3rd)||16.4% (4th)||18.0% (2nd)|
|2||November 17, 2016||16.2% (4th)||20.1% (3rd)||15.1% (4th)||16.4% (4th)|
|3||November 23, 2016||18.6% (4th)||19.6% (2nd)||15.7% (4th)||17.2% (4th)|
|4||November 24, 2016||17.9% (4th)||21.3% (3rd)||17.1% (4th)||18.4% (3rd)|
|5||November 30, 2016||16.4% (4th)||20.4% (2nd)||16.8% (3rd)||20.5% (1st)|
|6||December 1, 2016||18.1% (2nd)||20.2% (1st)||18.9% (2nd)||22.1% (1st)|
|7||December 7, 2016||15.8% (4th)||18.1% (2nd)||17.4% (2nd)||19.2% (1st)|
|8||December 8, 2016||17.4% (3rd)||19.7% (1st)||17.4% (2nd)||19.1% (2nd)|
|9||December 14, 2016||14.8% (5th)||16.4% (2nd)||16.6% (2nd)||18.8% (2nd)|
|10||December 15, 2016||16.8% (4th)||19.2% (2nd)||17.5% (2nd)||19.3% (2nd)|
|11||December 21, 2016||17.7% (3rd)||20.1% (2nd)||16.7% (3rd)||18.1% (2nd)|
|12||December 22, 2016||16.3% (4th)||18.0% (2nd)||17.3% (3rd)||18.7% (2nd)|
|13||December 28, 2016||15.8% (4th)||18.4% (2nd)||16.0% (4th)||17.2% (3rd)|
|14||January 4, 2017||15.1% (4th)||18.1% (3rd)||17.8% (3rd)||18.7% (2nd)|
|15||January 5, 2017||15.9% (3rd)||19.4% (2nd)||18.3% (3rd)||20.1% (2nd)|
|16||January 11, 2017||15.1% (4th)||19.0% (2nd)||18.9% (3rd)||20.7% (2nd)|
|17||January 12, 2017||18.9% (3rd)||22.2% (2nd)||20.8% (2nd)||23.0% (2nd)|
|18||January 18, 2017||16.5% (3rd)||18.4% (2nd)||18.3% (3rd)||19.9% (2nd)|
|19||January 19, 2017||18.7% (3rd)||20.4% (2nd)||21.0% (2nd)||22.2% (2nd)|
|20||January 25, 2017||16.2% (4th)||18.4% (2nd)||17.9% (3rd)||18.8% (2nd)|
|Special||December 29, 2016||14.5% (8th)||13.3% (4th)||11.2% (7th)||12.3% (4th)|
- On December 29, 2016, SBS aired a movie-like special episode summarizing the first half of the drama focusing on the relationship between Shim Cheong and Heo Joon-jae.
Awards and nominations
|2016||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Jun Ji-hyun||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Genre & Fantasy Drama||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Genre & Fantasy Drama||Jun Ji-hyun||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Fantasy Drama||Lee Hee-joon||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Fantasy Drama||Shin Hye-sun||Nominated|
|Special Award, Actor in Fantasy Drama||Sung Dong-il||Won|
|Special Award, Actress in a Fantasy Drama||Oh Yeon-ah||Nominated|
|K-Wave Star Award||Lee Min-ho||Nominated|
|Best Couple||Lee Min-ho and Jun Ji-hyun||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Lee Min-ho||Won|
|Idol Academy Award – Best Eating (Meokbang)||Won|
|2017||Best OST||Sung Si-kyung (Somewhere Someday)||Nominated|
- In Cambodia, the series will be dubbed in Khmer language by Hang Meas HDTV as ទេពមច្ឆាឆ្លងជាតិ. It will air sometime in the second half of 2017.
- In Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia and Brunei, the series aired exclusively on ONE TV Asia, within 24 hours of its original telecast.
- In Vietnam, it premiered on November 17, 2016 on HTV2's YouTube channel. Each episode was available to stream 12 hours after the original South Korean broadcast under the title Huyền thoại biển xanh with Vietnamese subtitles.
- In Hong Kong, the drama aired on myTV SUPER. It premiered on November 17, 2016.
- In the Philippines, the drama is available to stream on Iflix 24 hours after its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles. ABS-CBN aired on May 8, 2017 at 5:00 pm PST, replacing Minute To Win It: Last Duo Standing its Kapamilya Gold block. Meanwhile, the network's regional stations will air the drama at 9:30 am PST in order to avoid conflict with regional editions of its flagship evening newscast. On August 18, 2017, ABS-CBN confirmed that Legend of the Blue Sea will re-air on the network's Primetime Bida 10:00 timeslot. It was re-aired for all of the nation on September 4, 2017,replacing Weightlifting Fairy. It will be dubbed in Filipino. It was also re-aired on its sister channel Asianovela Channel starting on September 3, 2018.
- In Sri Lanka, the drama is available to stream on-demand on Iflix with English and Sinhalese subtitles. During its original run, Iflix exclusively streamed episodes of the drama 24 hours after its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles between November 17, 2016 and January 26, 2017.
- In the Los Angeles DMA, US the drama aired every Wednesday and Thursday with English subtitles, free over-the-air on Asian American-oriented channel, LA18 (channel 18) from December 7, 2016, to February 9, 2017.
- In Canada, the drama airs on Korean Canadian-oriented channel, All TV.
- In Thailand, it will premiere on True4U in January 2017, dubbed as ngeụ̄xk s̄āw tạw r̂āy kạb nāy t̂m tǔn ("เงือกสาวตัวร้ายกับนายต้มตุ๋น"; literally: Sassy Mermaid & Mr. Fraud).
- In Taiwan, episodes of the drama are available to stream on iQiyi. It will also premiere in China on TVC in February 2017.[needs update]
- In Japan, the series is currently aired on Eisei Gekijo & Mnet Japan (a cable TV channel) from February 26, 2017.
- The drama is available to stream on Viki with subtitles in a variety of languages created by a volunteer community.
- In Indonesian, the series is currently aired on Channels " SBS In " ( Upcoming )
- The drama is available for streaming on Hulu.
- In Jordan, it was aired on Roya TV.
- In Pakistan it will on air on h now(upcoming)
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea' ends strong despite being too familiar". The Korea Herald.
- "Legend of the Blue Sea". CJ E&M Lineup. CJ E&M Corporation. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- Kil, Sonia. "Gianna Jun and Lee Min-ho to Star in Korean TV Series 'Blue Sea'". Variety.
- "Jun Ji-hyun and Lee Min-ho to star in drama". The Korea Times.
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea is our own ancient mermaid story'". The Korea Times.
- "Actress Jun Ji-hyun plays tough mermaid in new series". Yonhap News Agency.
- "Shin Eun-soo to play teenage Jun Ji-hyun in 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'". Kpop Herald.
- 이희준 '푸른 바다의 전설' 합류 확정…전지현•이민호와 호흡. SE Daily (in Korean).
- "Actress Shin Hye-sun will join 'Blue Sea'". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- jun2yng. "Cross Gene's Shin And Lee Hee Joon Join Cast Of Lee Min Ho's Upcoming Drama". Soompi.
- "[단독] 이지훈, '푸른 바다의 전설' 출연… 전지현•이민호와 호흡텐아시아". TenAsia (in Korean).
- [단독] 나영희, ‘푸른 바다의 전설’서 전지현과 재회…박지은 작가와 5번째. MK News (in Korean).
- 황신혜는 푸른 바다의 전설에 합류한다. TV Daily (in Korean).
- [단독] 성동일, 전지현•이민호 이어 ‘푸른 바다의 전설’ 합류. MBN News (in Korean).
- 황신혜•성동일•나영희•최정우, ‘푸른 바다의 전설’ 캐스팅. 텐아시아 (in Korean).
- 문소리, '푸른 바다의 전설' 안방복귀 확정…대치동 사모님役. The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean).
- "[단독]홍진경, '푸른 바다…' 로 전지현X박지은 재회". Joins (in Korean).
- "Krystal makes cameo on 'Legend of the Blue Seas'". Kpop Herald.
- "Cha Tae-hyun to cameo in 'Legend of the Blue Sea'". Kpop Herald.
- "Jo Jung-suk cameos as merman in 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'". Kpop Herald.
- Im, Ju Hyeon. 정유미 측 "'푸른 바다' 카메오 출연..오늘(8일) 등장" [[Spoiler] Jeong Yoo-mi to Make Cameo Appearance in "The Legend of the Blue Sea"]. Star News (in Korean).
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea' stars will film in Palau and Spain". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- 이민호•전지현, ‘푸른바다’ 촬영차 스페인 출국. Joins (in Korean).
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea' Filming Locations Tour and Private Castle in Tossa de Mar". lonelyplanet.
- "A Coruña será escenario de una teleserie que arrasa en Corea del Sur". LavozDeGalicia.es. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Legend of the Blue Sea" filming locations, KoreanDramaland.com. [Accessed 14 September 2017].
- "Filming Location: Legend of the Blue Sea", by Honeystars, flyhoneystars, 25 Nov. 2016. [Accessed 14 September 2017].
- "Megaestrellas asiáticas en As Catedrais. Llega un equipo de 150 personas con Jun Ji Hyun y Lee Min Ho, star system en Asia equiparables a Brad Pitt y Angelina Jolie", by José Alonso and M. Carneiro, Ribadeo, La Voz de Galicia, 28 Sept. 2016, (in Spanish). [Accessed 14 September 2017]
- "Més de 130 persones participen al rodatge de la sèrie coreana. La producció, que genera expectació al país asiàtic, inclou actors mediàtics i s'estrenarà al novembre", (Legend of the Blue Sea topic), Diari de Girona, 16 Sept. 2016, (in Catalan). [Accessed 14 September 2017]
- "Lee Min-ho, Jun Ji-hyun at script read for 'Legend of Blue Sea'". Kpop Herald.
- "Mermaid sellers and cast reunions lined up for 'Legend of the Blue Sea'". Dramabeans.
- "Hong Jin Kyung to reunite with Jun Ji Hyun on 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'". Allkpop.
- "(OST) Legend of the Blue Sea OST by Various Artists". Melon.com. LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "푸른 바다의 전설 O.S.T - SBS 드라마 스페셜 (2CD) (Legend of the Blue Sea OST - SBS Drama Special (2CD))". Synnara Record. Media Synnara Co., Ltd. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Lyn unveils OST cut for 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'd". Yonhap News Agency.
- "New song from 'Legend of the Blue Sea' OST released". Yonhap News Agency.
- "Sung Si-kyung sings 'Someday, Somewhere' from OST of 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'". Yonhap News Agency.
- "Park Yoon-ha track marks 9th on 'The Legend of the Blue Sea' OST". Yonhap News Agency.
- Cumulative sales for "Love Story":
- Cumulative sales for "A World That Is You":
- "2016년 11월 Download Chart (see #38)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 53 (see #66)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 1 (see #73)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 2 (see #87)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Cumulative sales for "Lean on You":
- "2016년 48주차 Download Chart (see #32)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "2016년 49주차 Download Chart (see #31)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "2016년 50주차 Download Chart (see #69)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Cumulative sales for "Shy Boy":
- Cumulative sales for "Somewhere Someday":
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 50". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 51". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 52". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 53 (see #45)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 1 (see #64)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 2 (see #70)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 3 (see #85)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-27.
- Cumulative sales for "Wind Flower":
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 51". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 52". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 53 (see #39)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 1 (see #59)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 2 (see #74)". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Cumulative sales for "Fool":
- Cumulative sales for "If Only":
- "Fantasy-romance drama gets off to strong start". Yonhap News Agency.
- "Fantasy drama starring Jun Ji-hyun, Lee Min-ho tops 20 pct in nationwide viewership". Yonhap News Agency.
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea' criticized for poor editing". The Korea Times.
- "TV reviews: In Korean drama Legend Of The Blue Sea, Gianna Jun is brilliant as otherworldly goofball of a mermaid". The Straits Times.
- "'Legend of the Blue Sea' ends strong despite being too familiar". Yonhap News Agency.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- "Special episode of 'Legend of the Blue Sea' to air Thursday". Yonhap News Agency.
- Kim, Jin-suk. "[SBS 연기대상①]'멱살 잡고 이끈' 김래원•조정석•전지현•한석규 [일간스포츠] 입". news.jtbc.joins.com (in Korean).
- Lainey. "#TheLegendIsReal: ONE HD To Air Highly Anticipated K-Drama, "The Legend of the Blue Sea"". Hype.my. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- koreaportal (2016-11-21). "The Legend of the Blue Sea' Where to Watch the Series If You're Not in Korea". koreaportal. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- eva.vn. "Không thể cưỡng lại vẻ đáng yêu của Lee Min Ho khi đội lốt nai tơ ngơ ngác". EVA.VN (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "myTV SUPER". facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "iflix Philippines (@iflixph) - Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "iflix Sri Lanka (@iflixLK) - Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Lastrilla, Gary Ann. "ABS-CBN presents upcoming shows for 2017". Push. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "Love in the Moonlight and Legend of the Blue Sea line-up for ABS-CBN this 2017". Wordpress.com. 23 November 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "'Destined To Be Yours' tops PHL Twitter trends after teaser release". GMA News Online. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "iflix Sri Lanka on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "푸른 바다의 전설 | The Legend of the Blue Sea - LA18 TV". LA18 TV (in Korean). 5 December 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "The Legend Of The Blue Sea - Canadian TV Listings Guide". www.OnTVTonight.ca. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "True4U - ตอกย้ำ 'ความพีค' ที่โดนใจจนไลค์กระจาย!!!..." (in Thai). Facebook. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Mathew, Ilin. "The Legend Of The Blue Sea excells internationally, maintains top position in viewership ranking". IBTimes.co.in. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "《蓝色大海的传说》计划明年2月中国播出". ent.Sina.com.cn. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "青い海の伝説（原題）". 衛星劇場. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- The Legend of the Blue Sea, retrieved 9 December 2016