Legion of Mary (band)
|Legion of Mary|
|Origin||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Associated acts||Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band|
|Past members||Jerry Garcia
Legion of Mary was an American rock band, formed by Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and his friend and musical collaborator Merl Saunders. The band existed from December 1974 to July 1975, and played about 60 live shows. Its members were Garcia (guitar and vocals), Saunders (keyboards), John Kahn (bass guitar), Martin Fierro (saxophone and flute) and Ron Tutt (drums). The previous lineup of the band, with Paul Humphrey on drums, is sometimes also referred to as Legion of Mary, but later research has shown that they did not use the Legion of Mary name.
In their concerts, Legion of Mary played rock music that had an eclectic mix of influences, including blues, funk, reggae, rock and roll, and especially jazz. Performances included extended improvisational solos, which Garcia made famous with his role in the Grateful Dead.
Legion of Mary: The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 1 is a two-CD album recorded live at various shows from December 1974 to July 1975. It was released by Rhino Records on August 23, 2005.
Pure Jerry: Keystone Berkeley, September 1, 1974 is a three-CD album containing a complete concert by an earlier lineup of the band, not yet known as Legion of Mary, with Paul Humphrey on drums. It was released by Pure Jerry Records on December 28, 2004.
- McNally, Dennis (2002). A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead. New York: Broadway Books. p. 480. ISBN 0-7679-1186-5.
- Jackson, Blair (1999). Garcia: An American Life. New York: Penguin Books. p. 263. ISBN 0-14-029199-7.
- Clarke, John Jr. "Former Grateful Dead Keyboardist Merl Saunders Dies", Rolling Stone, October 24, 2008.
- Jackson, Blair (2005). Liner notes for Legion of Mary: The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 1.
- Scott, John W.; Dolgushkin, Mike; Nixon, Stu (1999). DeadBase XI: The Complete Guide to Grateful Dead Song Lists. Cornish, New Hampshire: DeadBase. pp. 403–405. ISBN 1-877657-22-0.
- Trager, Oliver (1997). The American Book of the Dead: The Definitive Grateful Dead Encyclopedia. Fireside. ISBN 0-684-81402-1.
- Metzger, John (August 2005). Legion of Mary album review, The Music Box, Vol. 12 No. 8.
- "Garcia Live Volume Two: December 14–15, 1974, Northwest Tour", JamBase, September 16, 2013. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- Metzger, John (February 2005). Pure Jerry: Keystone Berkeley album review, The Music Box, Vol. 12 No 2.