Legislative Bill Drafting Commission
55 Elk Street,|
The New York Legislative Bill Drafting Commission (LBDC) aids the New York State Legislature in drafting legislation; advises as to the constitutionality, consistency or effect of proposed legislation; conducts research; and publishes and maintains the documents of the Legislature. It is composed of two commissioners.
The LBDC maintains the Legislative Retrieval System (LRS) containing the full record of Legislature activity, for which it charges $2500 per session for access. The LRS version of the Consolidated Laws is published under statutory authority and is available online but is not certified pursuant to Public Officers Law § 70-b. The LBDC also publishes the Laws of New York.
The LBDC is composed of two commissioners, the Commissioner for Administration and the Commissioner for Operations, each appointed jointly by the Temporary President of the Senate and the Speaker of the Assembly. As of August 2014[update], the commissioners were Randall G. Bluth, appointed by Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver in 2001, and John J. Conway, III, appointed by Senate Republican Majority Leader Dean Skelos.
- Office of the Law Revision Counsel of the US House of Representatives
- Office of the Federal Register of the National Archives and Records Administration
- Legislative Law § 25
- Kaplan, Thomas (10 August 2013). "Albany, Long Buried in Paper, Resolves to Save a Small Forest". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Schacht, Sarah (2010). "Democracy, Under Everything". In Lathrop, Daniel; Ruma, Laurel. Open Government: Collaboration, Transparency, and Participation in Practice. O'Reilly Media. p. 158. ISBN 978-0-596-80435-0.
- "Developers Network". New York State Senate. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Bill Status Hotline". The Legislative Gazette. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Gibson, Ellen M.; Manz, William H. (2004). Gibson's New York Legal Research Guide (PDF) (3rd ed.). Wm. S. Hein Publishing. p. 74,80–81. ISBN 1-57588-728-2. LCCN 2004042477. OCLC 54455036.
- Kallos, Ben (9 June 2014). "Set the Law Free, Say Council Members Lander, Vacca, Kallos: Legislation to Put Law Online for Free Instead of Behind Paid Subscriptions" (Press release). Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Legislative Law § 24
- "Legislative Bill Drafting Commission". New York City Department of Citywide Administrative Services. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Seiler, Casey (26 March 2012). "Capital Profile: Randall G. Bluth". Times Union.
|This New York–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This law-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|