Lego Ideas, previously known as Lego Cuusoo, is a website started by Cuusoo and The Lego Group in 2008 which allows users to submit ideas for Lego products to be turned into potential sets available commercially, with the original designer receiving 1% of the royalties.
Lego Ideas was first introduced as an offshoot of the Japanese website Cuusoo, produced as a collaboration between that company and The Lego Group. Titled Lego Cuusoo, the site was labeled a beta site and remained so until the unveiling of Lego Ideas as a finished product.
Users express their idea by combining a written description of the idea and a sample Lego model that demonstrates the concept into a project page. Once the page is published it is viewable to other users. The goal of every project is to be supported by 10,000 different users, which will then make the project eligible for production. The eligible projects are collectively reviewed in the order of whichever projects hit 10000 supporters within any of the three tri-annual deadlines. If the product is cleared for production, it will be developed and later released as an official set under the "Lego Ideas" banner. Users that have their projects produced receive five copies of the final set, as well as a 1% royalty of the product's net sales.
Currently nine sets have been produced and thirteen sets have been announced:
Set based on an original idea
Set based on an existing theme/license or intellectual property
Bold line indicates when branding changed from Cuusoo to Ideas
|Cuusoo/Ideas #||Set #||Title||Released||Creator||Project||Notes|
|#001||21100||Shinkai 6500||February 17, 2011 (Japan)||At_guy||Link||Only released in Japan.|
|#002||21101||Hayabusa||March 1, 2012 (Japan)
July 11, 2012 (international)
|Daisuke Okubo||Link||First announced Cuusoo set to be internationally available.|
|#003||21102||Minecraft Micro World||June 1, 2012||Mojang||Link||Based on the video game Minecraft. First set to be start a new Lego Theme Lego Minecraft.|
|#004||21103||Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine||August 1, 2013||m.togami and Sakuretsu||Link||Based on the Back to the Future DeLorean time machine|
|#005||21104||Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover||January 1, 2014||Stephen Pakbaz||Link||Based on the NASA Mars Curiosity Rover|
|#006||21108||Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary||June 1, 2014||Brent Waller||Link||Based on the Ecto-1 from the Ghostbusters franchise.|
|#007||21109||Exo Suit||August 1, 2014||Peter Reid||Link|
|#008||21110||Research Institute||August 1, 2014||Ellen Kooijman (under alias Alatariel)||Link|
|#009||21301||LEGO Bird Project||January 1, 2015||DeTomaso||Link|
|#010||21302||The Big Bang Theory||August 1, 2015||Ellen Kooijman (under alias Alatariel)||Link||Based on the TV series The Big Bang Theory.|
|#011 ||21303||WALL-E||December 2015||Angus MacLane||Link||Based on the Pixar film WALL-E.|
|#012 ||TBA||Doctor Who and Companions||TBA||Andrew Clark||Link||Based on the BBC TV series Doctor Who.|
|#013 ||TBA||Labyrinth Marble Maze||TBA||Jason Allemann (using alias JKBrickworks)||Link|
A number of sets based on specific intellectual properties have been rejected due to the content matter presented. Anything which contains alcohol, sex, drugs, religious references, post-WWII warfare or based on a first person shooter is deemed inappropriate for younger Lego fans. IPs rejected so far have been Firefly and Shaun of the Dead.
Other projects which have been rejected include ones based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic due to the property being owned by rival toy manufacturer Hasbro, certain sets based on The Legend of Zelda due to the need to create too many original molds, although Lego did not completely rule out other projects based on the franchise, and the UCS Sandcrawler set due to The Lego Group's ongoing collaboration with Lucasfilm on Lego Star Wars.
- "Project Guidelines and House Rules". LEGO Ideas.
- Pearlman, Robert Z. (2012-03-03). "LEGO launches spacecraft model chosen by fans". MSNBC.
- Totilo, Stephen (2012-01-24). "There Will Be Official Minecraft Lego Sets". Kotaku.
- Rundle, Michael. "Lego To Make Official Back To The Future DeLorean After Fans' Vote". Huffpost Tech. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "LEGO Ideas Second 2014 Review Results: Announcing LEGO Ideas #011 and #012". LEGO Ideas.
- "Third 2014 LEGO Review Results: Announcing LEGO Ideas #013". Lego Ideas. May 28, 2015.
- "Congratulations to the Firefly Serenity playset reaching 10,000 supporters! Here's our decision on fit with the LEGO brand.". Lego Cuusoo (archived at the Internet Archive). 2012-05-07.
- "LEGO CUUSOO: The Winchester – Shaun Of The Dead Rejected". smashing-bricks.com. 2012-04-27.
- "Lego Cuusoo Pony Project Canned". equestriadaily.com. 2012-06-04.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Towell, Justin (December 21, 2012). "Legend of Zelda LEGO rejected at final stage". Games Radar. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Courtney, Tim (June 14, 2013). "Results of the Fall 2012 LEGO® Review". The Official LEGO CUUSOO Blog. LEGO CUUSOO. Retrieved 27 July 2013.