Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
|Lego Star Wars:|
The Skywalker Saga
Official cover art
|Publisher(s)||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Series||Lego Star Wars|
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is an upcoming Lego-themed action-adventure game scheduled to be released in 2020 for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. It will be the sixth entry in TT Games' Lego Star Wars series of video games and the successor to Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The game will adapt all nine entries in the Skywalker saga series of films.
Unlike most Lego video games in which players had to advance through the story in a linear order, players can choose to start the game from any of the nine Skywalker saga episodes and complete them in any order they wish. Each episode will have five story missions, making a total of 45 levels. Combat has been revamped from previous titles, such as lightsaber wielders now using a variety of combos with light attacks, heavy attacks, and Force moves, and blaster characters having an over-the-shoulder camera (angle featured in many third-person shooter games).
Much like its predecessor, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the game's hub will not be a single area, such as the Mos Eisley Cantina in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, but a wide range of fully explorable planets filled with many iconic Star Wars landmarks. Planets and moons confirmed by the developers so far to be explorable in the hub include Coruscant, Naboo, Tatooine, Geonosis, Kamino, Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Yavin 4, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, Endor, Jakku, Takodana, D'Qar, Starkiller Base, Ahch-To, Cantonica, Crait, Ajan Kloss, Pasaana, Kijimi, Kef Bir, and Exegol. Many ships will have freely explorable areas in the hub as well, such as Star Destroyers and the Death Star. Random encounters will also happen in the game's hub. For example, an Imperial Star Destroyer could suddenly jump out of hyperspace and send a fleet of TIE Fighters after the player. Players can choose to engage in dogfights with them or continue onward to progress the story.
The game will have nearly 500 characters, with many of them being playable.
Development and marketing
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was first teased to be in development by Lucasfilm sound editor Matthew Wood at Star Wars Celebration Chicago. An announcement trailer premiered at E3 2019 during Microsoft's press conference. A second trailer showing one scene from all nine movies was released on 20 December to coincide with the release of The Rise of Skywalker. The official artwork was revealed on May 4, 2020.
Disney and Lucasfilm had not shared significant details of The Rise of Skywalker with the game team before the film's release. In the meantime, TT Games worked on other aspects of the game until Lucasfilm shared more details. The game is developed in Traveller's Tales' new engine, NTT (pronounced Entity).
On the same day, the original video was made private and a new video, in which the release date was cut out, was uploaded. This date has not been otherwise confirmed.
- Dornbush, Jonathon; Stevens, Colin (9 June 2019). "LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Includes Episode 1-9 - E3 2019". IGN. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Brooks, Dan (4 May 2020). ""We Were Always Going to Go Big!": Inside LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga". StarWars.com. Retrieved 4 May 2020.
- Little, Riley (20 December 2019). "LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Reimagines All 9 Episodes". Screen Rant. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Gilbert, Fraser (4 May 2020). "The Official Box Art For LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Has Reportedly Arrived". Pure Xbox. Retrieved 4 May 2020.
- Chris Compendio (2 August 2019). "Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Interview — Developers Discuss the Series' Legacy, Episode IX, and Prequel Memes". DualShockers. Retrieved 21 August 2019.
- Phillips, Tom (27 June 2019). "Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga feels like a new hope for Lego video games". Eurogamer. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- ""LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga" Gets a New Sizzle Trailer". 20 December 2019.
- "LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Gets a Release Date". Retrieved 7 May 2020.